Boston Area Rental Houses

Syphilis

Hey y'all,

I'm a technical director for a Boston based theatre company, and as this will be the first year we've had to rent our own lighting equipment I was wondering if anyone could suggest any good rental houses in the area. I've worked with ALPS in the past, but I figured it would be best to do a larger sweep before choosing.

We're looking to rent dimmers, around 30 Source 4s (26s and 36s mostly), a few LED washes (possibly ColorBlasts), and possibly an ETC console.

I'll check in after my own research is finished. Thanks for any suggestions!

ALPS is a big one, but there is also a Barbizon and a High Output in Boston. Both companies are great to work with. Those three are the big ones in the area.

There is also Limelight in western Mass. They pull gigs in Boston and NYC regularly. They are very competitive and have great gear. Really, you are not asking for much.

There is also Limelight in western Mass. They pull gigs in Boston and NYC regularly. They are very competitive and have great gear. Really, you are not asking for much.
I had a friend that worked at Limelight and hated every minute of it because the people were so awful. I've never rented from them though, so I couldn't comment on the gear. I worked for High Output when I was in Boston and I thought most of the people were great and the equipment was good. They've been around for a loong time so they have to be doing something right. The only one I can think of at the moment that hasn't already been mentioned is Port. PLS has been around for 25 years and a friend of mine works there right now. Good people.

-Tim

I have used APLS on a few occasions. I have always been very pleased with their gear and service.

~Dave

I had a friend that worked at Limelight and hated every minute of it because the people were so awful. I've never rented from them though, so I couldn't comment on the gear. I worked for High Output when I was in Boston and I thought most of the people were great and the equipment was good. They've been around for a loong time so they have to be doing something right. The only one I can think of at the moment that hasn't already been mentioned is Port. PLS has been around for 25 years and a friend of mine works there right now. Good people.

-Tim

Tim, having been in the industry for almost 15 years I've heard similar comments to those you and others have made. It proves there is such a wide range of attitudes and customer/employee satisfaction that there is a company for everyone! As a sidenote- ALPS, Barbizon, High Output and Port Lighting Systems are all authorized Apollo dealers and have direct access to our 'green energy' lasered gobos and lighting gear.

(Christopher- how did you end up with your rather unique user name? Just curious- )

Tim, having been in the industry for almost 15 years I've heard similar comments to those you and others have made. It proves there is such a wide range of attitudes and customer/employee satisfaction that there is a company for everyone! As a sidenote- ALPS, Barbizon, High Output and Port Lighting Systems are all authorized Apollo dealers and have direct access to our 'green energy' lasered gobos and lighting gear.

(Christopher- how did you end up with your rather unique user name? Just curious- )

He was one of my Student Technical Directors in High School last year. i.e. an STD so I'm sure you can figure that one out.

Chris, ALPS is by far my favorite in the Boston area you know this. High Output and Barbizon are okay but I've never gotten the same QoS from anyone other than ALPS. Also ALPS usually always comes out with the lowest price as well. However if you're looking for other rental houses, there is ALPS, High Output, Theatrix, Barbizon, Limelight, Port, East Coast Lighting and Production Services (ECLPS) and if you wanna go down to Rhode Island there is ATR/Treehouse.

Chris I'm pretty sure you have my phone number, feel free to call me if you need any advice on equipment or stuff in Boston. I can also get you work in the area with some companies I work for.

...I've heard similar comments to those you and others have made. It proves there is such a wide range of attitudes and customer/employee satisfaction that there is a company for everyone!....

I Agree, many different people have different outlooks with a particular company. I have dealt with Limelight for over 30 years, as a designer, University faculty and LORT Technical director, and have only the best of relations with them. It sounds a bit like the disgruntled former employee had personal issues not professional or business problems. Just IMHO.

I Agree, many different people have different outlooks with a particular company. I have dealt with Limelight for over 30 years, as a designer, University faculty and LORT Technical director, and have only the best of relations with them. It sounds a bit like the disgruntled former employee had personal issues not professional or business problems. Just IMHO.

Ya, I could care less what happens in their shop or what their employees think of the company. What I do know is their truck shows up on time, the right gear is there and is in good condition, and the truck shows up again at the right time to take the gear away. Limelight does that for me. What happens in the shop happens in the shop. However, Limelight has the best prices around and has great gear. Never, ever, had an issue with them and we rent and buy from them pretty regularly.

Last edited:
Ya, I could care less what happens in their shop or what their employees think of the company. What I do know is their truck shows up on time, the right gear is there and is in good condition, and the truck shows up again at the right time to take the gear away. Limelight does that for me. What happens in the shop happens in the shop. However, Limelight has the best prices around and has great gear. Never, ever, had an issue with them and we rent and buy from them pretty regularly.
I guess that is just a difference between us. I DO care how a company treats their employees. I will avoid giving a company my money (aka, support) if I know that they treat their employees poorly. It's the same reason I don't shop at places like Walmart and Target. Yes they have the cheapest crap, but I would rather pay $.15 more at a different store than support a company that doesn't care about their employees' needs. I'm not saying LimeLight is in anyway as bad as these large corporations, it is just an analogy.

All I am saying is that I prefer to use another company because I know someone that has been mistreated by them. You don't know anyone like that and want to use them, that's your prerogative.

I believe it's a good thing to sometimes agree to disagree, and let that be that. We have quite a few dedicated folks with ample energy caring for their projects and venues. Thankfully there are also vendors and manufacturers that serve these interests, presumably for a variety of reasons.

Also, You could try East Coast Lighting and Production services (ECLPS) out of RI, They have several venues they are suppliers for in boston, Really well maintained gear!

I have rented and purchased used equipment from Galley Theatre Lighting in Methuen, MA its a long drive but the people are very helpful and very nice.

Thanks for the suggestions, fellas. I've checked out all of these shops, and I think I'm going to look into Limelight before making a final decision. I had a lovely talk with a representative of theirs at the USITT conference in Charlotte, and he impressed me with his knowledge and dedication. So it's a toss up between them and ALPS right now. Thanks.

Just to throw one more out there, what about ATR Treehouse in Providence? They provide excellent service to the summer stock I am currently working with.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back