Control/Dimming DMX Switchbox?

It looks like it's something that I'll end up putting on my long term list to make. It just seems crazy that I can get a chauvet obey 70 with 14 faders for $150, and yet I'm looking at about $1000 at a minimum for a switchbox. I'm sure I can talk my stage managers into using faders, it just introduces more room for error depending on the firing point of the relays/dimmers.

Except that you are talking about a one-off product, so no return for a manufacturer on repeat sales. Which is how Chauvet and all the others can make a $150 console, they sell enough to pay for the initial manufacturing costs.

I also think this is a marketable device, with power relays becoming widespread around a theatre, cue lights are just another device needing control. I know that ETC did something like this for the Santa Fe Opera in '99, building a huge analog button and fader SM desk (as well as a portable for the tech table), that was all analog buttons and contactors sending to a Unison input box to be part of the Unison system. It was a nightmare getting it to function correctly, if memory serves, thus a software on-screen button page using known hardware would be a solution.

I often marvel at the complexity of some of the cue light systems I see on here. Without knowing your space at all, is there any reason why you can't simply run circuits around the theatre and break into a physical switch box, like this? If that's too expensive for you, I've also seen some homemade boxes which are as simple as half a dozen light switches screwed to a piece of wood, and everything in between. Are your hot power runs permanently wired into house dimmer racks, or do you have the ability to break into them at the input side? If the latter, you could just patch the males right into the back of the switch box. If not, I still think it would be much easier to just "permanently" run a mult from the calling location to somewhere around the stage, then just run Stage Pin around for each production. IMO, much more flexible and simple, and far easier to troubleshoot and maintain.

Full Disclosure: I've never used any kind of DMX cue light system, and the idea doesn't really sit well with me (not to say that anyone who does this is wrong, that's just my opinion based on the types of theatres that I work in). Since Cue Lights are often used to trigger Automation or Fly moves, running cue lights via DMX feels very similar to directly controlling Auto/Flys via DMX - which we all know is a bad idea. With the exception of a few houses that had cue light systems already hardwired, I've only ever used systems like I've described here, with dry lines and switches.

I often marvel at the complexity of some of the cue light systems I see on here. Without knowing your space at all, is there any reason why you can't simply run circuits around the theatre and break into a physical switch box, like this? If that's too expensive for you, I've also seen some homemade boxes which are as simple as half a dozen light switches screwed to a piece of wood, and everything in between. Are your hot power runs permanently wired into house dimmer racks, or do you have the ability to break into them at the input side? If the latter, you could just patch the males right into the back of the switch box. If not, I still think it would be much easier to just "permanently" run a mult from the calling location to somewhere around the stage, then just run Stage Pin around for each production. IMO, much more flexible and simple, and far easier to troubleshoot and maintain.

Full Disclosure: I've never used any kind of DMX cue light system, and the idea doesn't really sit well with me (not to say that anyone who does this is wrong, that's just my opinion based on the types of theatres that I work in). Since Cue Lights are often used to trigger Automation or Fly moves, running cue lights via DMX feels very similar to directly controlling Auto/Flys via DMX - which we all know is a bad idea. With the exception of a few houses that had cue light systems already hardwired, I've only ever used systems like I've described here, with dry lines and switches.

My experiences up to this point were similar to yours. However, my experiences up to this point were always temporary installs. Running multicable from the booth to the stage (and then down to the sound mix position, and up to the rail, and along the stage to the pit...) is justifiable when I'm doing a tour, or when the install is going to be temporary, but to run this cable forever tends to make fire marshals get a little grumpy.. not to mention artistic directors who don't like to see cable. In theory I could pull cable through a conduit from the booth to my dimmer room, and then create some sort of patch bay where I can patch to cable pulled from the dimmer room to each position... but then again, why do that when I already have infrastructure in place to do so? That being said, I'm experiencing problems with this setup that are much more difficult to suss out then it would be if it was straight cable runs from a switchbox.. See http://community.etcconnect.com/control_consoles/f/13/t/15796 for the latest and greatest on that front.

I don't know.. what do people do in permanent setups usually?

Dan, at this point I'd be having a conversation with Steve Short at Litetrol about what you are trying to achieve.

He could readily work you up a 12 or 20 analog button box that would put out DMX to addresses 1-20. Then as you stated, just AIP the box into a node, universe 4 or something and patch via NCE or GCE to whatever relays you need.

I'd ask about latency as well.

Litetrol is is Hicksville, NY, 516 681 5288

As well, Johnson Systems could do this.

Last edited:
Many (and least expensive) built in systems are shop built one-offs.

PARTS: 12 or 24V power supply, multi-conductor wire, buttons in a box, little LV bulbs each in their own box. Cost ~$100-500 + time to build it and run cable all over everywhere.

If you want more features you're going to pay for it. Look at www.gds.uk.com/#!cuesystem/czdn I don't know costs but it looks like it will do almost anything.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back