Control/Dimming ETC Congo Kid- what's the downside?

(I'm going off of memory of dozens of conversations I've had with people about this, so some of the historical facts may not be 100% accurate)

Before Eos/Ion/Congo, there were the Obsession II and Express(ion) consoles in ETC's product line. At their time, those consoles were "adequate" at programming automated fixtures. Then ETC developed Congo with Avab. Congo was based on Avab's Pronto console, and Avab had a large enough presence in Europen that when Congo came out, European programmers felt very comfortable in front of them. Us Americans balked at the syntax and a lot of people never got past that, but for the European market there was nothing unnatural about it.

In North America, everyone was loving their Express(ion)/Obsession consoles. Idea/Acclaim/Vision -- all of ETC's earlier consoles looked much like the Express(ion) consoles, so by the time Express rolled around, lots of people in the United States were already hooked on that style of console. Even with the Strand's older (and newer consoles), they were a lot like Express in that any way you spoke to the console, the console would do what you expected it to. You could speak (and type in) the commands in a half-dozen different ways, but so long as your sentence made grammatical sense, there was a good chance you'd get what you want.

Congo was ETC's major diversion from Express-style consoles. Congo was fundamentally more different from Express/Obsession than Express from the consoles Fred was building with his brother out of their parents' garage. It was unlike any console ETC had ever worked on.

It was ETC's jump big jump into controlling moving lights. Congo was leagues ahead at that time from anything else ETC and their competitors offered. If you wanted a Hog, you could go that route, but most Hog programmers will tell you they aren't great consoles for handling conventionals. What Congo did was it was an excellent moving light desk for busking, but it also was designed to handle theatrical-style events. It bridged the gap between rock concerts and conventional theatre performances.

Even just in the UI, Congo looked like it belonged in the 21st century. It ran on Windows XP, you could move the docks and tabs around -- you could customize every part of your experience working with Congo. With Express(ion)-style desks and their mostly black and white interfaces, everything looked dated (because it was).

If you went to ETC in 2005 and asked for a theatrical lighting console that programmed moving lights really well, your choices were Express(ion), Obsession II, or Congo. Congo was announced in 2004 and remember that Eos didn't show up until 2006, so there was a two-year gap where the only truly appropriate moving light console from ETC was Congo. Even when Eos came out in 2006, it came out at the same time as the Congo Jr.

While Eos was really only affordable by a small(er) slice of the market, a Congo Jr. was at a much more reasonable price point for a modern lighting console. If you were an American shopping for a lighting console, you could pay a lot more money and get an Eos, which is exactly what you'd imagine a modern lighting console to look and feel like if you grew up on Express(ion) consoles, but you'd have to pay a lot more for it than the cost of a Congo Jr., which has that funky syntax you'd have to learn.

Then by 2007 when Ion was announced, the American market really got the console that they had been waiting for ETC to make. Europe was happy with Congo/Congo Jr., and and America finally got their next generation of Express(ion) consoles. With no price difference between an Ion and a Congo Jr, it was a logical choice that many places picked up Ions because Ions were a lot like every other lighting console they had touched in the previous decade, but with the fresh new UI on the Embedded Windows XP platform. And so Congo fell by the wayside in the American markets.

For that 2-3 year gap between the release of Congo and the release of Ion, Congo was the console that made the most sense to a lot of venues, and once Eos came out, those venues that really wanted Eos would have to justify spending a significantly greater amount of money on one of those than if they picked up a Congo Jr., which was as powerful as a full-size Congo in a smaller foot-print -- by all means you were getting a deal on a Jr. in comparison to the price tag of an Eos.

Meanwhile in Europe, nobody gave a second thought to how Congo behaved -- they were used to that style of lighting console already. Congo didn't seem like a brand new console as much as it seemed like a new interation of an earlier console they had already come to love. My understanding is that even today, Congo-series consoles sell in Europe like Eos-series consoles do in the United States (although it's also my understanding that Eos has had some pretty good global success).

Congo was never really a console for the American market. You could say that the American market wasn't ready for it, but truthfully I don't think they were ever going to be ready for it -- Americans wanted a new Express-style desk that looked like it belonged in the 21st century (that is except for all of those people who would've been perfectly happy if ETC kept making Express consoles to this day, and for those of you that were around when ETC announced the end of the Express line, you know what I'm talking about when I say some users came along kicking and screaming through that dark period of theatrical lighting history).

Like how NRA members protest about about how the government should keep its filthy hands off of their guns, Express users would talk about big of a mistake ETC was making by dropping Express. (I'd say ETC's done pretty well for themselves with that decision, wouldn't you?)

So what does all of that history mean? It means a lot of people in the western hemisphere just never felt comfortable in front of Congo. Regardless of how capable the console was or was not in their mind, they just didn't feel comfortable.

I'm sure I could find a Light Palette programmer who would argue with me that they've never felt more comfortable in their life than when working on a Light Palette VL, but as a programmer, I just can't trust the console to do what I expect it to. I press "Record" and cross my fingers like it's voodoo that makes the console work -- I've scoured the manual, posted on forums, played email and phone tag with Strand -- I still for the life of me cannot trust that when I do something on that console, it's going to do what I expect it to. You can be the best programmer in the world on that console and never have any problems, but it doesn't make a difference to me if it feels like voodoo -- if it feels like I don't know what kind of black magic makes it work the way it does, which is very counter-intuitive for me.

For a lot of people trying to learn Congo from another console, they'll probably go through a similar process. I remember when I first learned Congo -- there was lots of shaking my fist at it because it wasn't doing what I thought it was supposed to. Every ounce of that was user error, the direct product of inadequate training from a vendor who almost never sells Congo consoles and shouldn't have been allowed to provide the training in the first place, but for me as a programmer, none of that makes a difference if at the end of the day I can't light my show. It can be the best lighting console in the world, but if I don't know how to use or when I do use it, I can't understand why it's doing what it is, it's a hindrance instead of the carefully-refined tool it was meant to be.

Eos/Ion/Gio/Element/Express/You-Name-It -- all of those consoles felt natural to most of the market in the western hemisphere and nothing felt like voodoo. With Congo, I don't think "voodoo" is exactly what people felt was going on, but they could sense that it wasn't going to be what they had expected.

For me, I did a brief stint on Express and on a 520i before going to Congo, but I was pretty fresh out of the gate in a way that I was open to new ideas. Someone who's spent 20 years on a command-line may understandably have a harder time going through that transition than I did, but I was just a senior in high school when we got our Congo Jr.

If someone asked me four years ago while I was working on an Express or on a 520i what my workflow looked like, I probably wouldn't have understood the question. "Well, I patch the show, and then we put some stuff on faders that makes sense, and then we either run the show off the faders or we record some stuff into cues. Does that answer your question?"

If someone asked me today what my workflow looks like, I could give 7-part lecture on all of the ways it's better for me on Congo than on any other desk I've worked on.

1) I start a new show file, a show file that's based on a custom file I've made for myself with all my standard color palettes, fixture patch, channel layouts, and such-not in it.
2) If we use a non-rep plot, I delete all of my groups, type [1] [Ch] [230] [Thru], and I quickly cycle through using Highlight mode and Next/Last to find channels that look like they belong together, then I record a group for those channels. Rinse/wash/repeat until I have the groups I want.
3) I put my groups on faders right away. Palettes are on direct selects (most of the time unless I put some color palettes on faders), groups/specials are on faders.
4) If I know I'm going to need some effects like a lightning effect or a chase, I'll create the effect right away and if I need to tweak it later, I'll worry about that then.

We're a roadhouse by nature, so a lot of the shows we busk. Four steps and I'm ready to run a show. Gave me a huge stack of paperwork to use while programming? Unless you had a custom patch I had to abide by or specific groups you wanted, I probably didn't look at it. Didn't need to. Didn't even need a light plot.

Depending on how non-standard the plot is, those four steps could take 20-45 minutes, except I get distracted by flashy things pretty easily, so Step 4 sometimes takes a little longer. The name of the game is giving myself lots of building blocks. If I'm busking the show, I need to know what I have to work with and I need to be able to touch a lot of different things quickly (that means almost never keying commands in -- I don't have time to dick around with a keypad during a show).

If the show is getting recorded into cues and I'm the LD, I'll hand a list of cues off to whoever I think could use more time in front of the console and have them go into a spreadsheet to add all of the cues in, give them names, and give time up/down/wait/follow times.

If I have time, I'll go through my cues and use all of my groups/specials on faders to update all of the presets I had someone else insert. If I don't have time, I build the presets during rehearsal. They already have all of their fade times so I don't have to worry about those, and everything is labeled so I don't have to look at any paperwork to figure out what a certain cue is for. When I did Nutcracker last month, I recorded the cues across two nights of rehearsal, and we did three performances. With the cues labeled like they were, I didn't once have to ever look a piece of paper to know when a cue was supposed to happen -- I was able to call of my lighting cues just by watching the show and looking at the title of the next cue.

If we do movers, LED's, or something of that flavor, I'll also spend time building beam, color, and focus palettes, but even with movers I avoid the keypad as much as possible. Last show I did with 6 movers, I had one group for all Mac250's, and used Next/Last to get to any specific fixture I needed to -- never had to remember what channels any of them were because selecting the whole group and touching a single fixture at the time with Next/Last was exactly the solution I needed.

At most, automated fixtures are going to spend four or five days in the air at a time. Our conventionals don't move as often, but they frequently change color, focus, and gobos.

This isn't Broadway or a regional theatre -- our light plots turn over quickly so the less time I have to spend memorizing which channels are for which fixtures or conceiving beautiful paperwork I'm not going to want to look at anyway, the better. I need to spend as little time as possible staring at paperwork and as much time as possible looking at the stage. Congo lets me do that.

Thanks Mike.

Congo User, from a, Nice perspective

(JK)

Reactions: Ric
Okay, so I guess LEDMX is coming to talk to us sometime. Thanks for all the advice on the Congo- I've printed it out to show everyone.

I'd like to ask one more question: We'll obviously have to add some DMX ports around the theater to deal with modern fixtures. We could just extend the cable from the dimmer cabinet, but we'd really be limiting ourselves in the future because the rack eats up a huge portion of our single universe. I was thinking of have two more universes installed: one for the flyspace and one for the tormentors/catwalk FOH. We certainly wouldn't need all the capacity right now, but it would allow for a huge amount of flexibility in the future. It also doesn't cost very much to add two more universes due to our situation.

The biggest part of my question: there's a very large distance between the tormentors and the FOH catwalk. We'd want permanent ports on each tower, and at least one (preferably three) on the long catwalk. I'm thinking there's two options. 1. Get and permanently mount an opto-splitter, or 2. Each DMX output location is a duplex box with a male and female port. When the area isn't being used, a short jumper cable plugs into both, and sends the signal on to the next box in line.

It seems like #2 would work fine and would save some budget, but we'd still be stuck at 32 devices in the area. The opto-splitter would allow us to have a much larger number of fixtures, which would be great if we ever started switching to LED ellipsoidals (the area is set up for 60 conventionals). However, I'm not sure I could talk people into the added cost of a good opto-splitter. I'm thinking we could set up option two, because it can easily be reconfigured with an opto-splitter in the future, when we have more than 32 DMX devices up there.

Last edited by a moderator:
Okay, so I guess LEDMX is coming to talk to us sometime. Thanks for all the advice on the Congo- I've printed it out to show everyone.

I'd like to ask one more question: We'll obviously have to add some DMX ports around the theater to deal with modern fixtures. We could just extend the cable from the dimmer cabinet, but we'd really be limiting ourselves in the future because the rack eats up a huge portion of our single universe. I was thinking of have two more universes installed: one for the flyspace and one for the tormentors/catwalk FOH. We certainly wouldn't need all the capacity right now, but it would allow for a huge amount of flexibility in the future. It also doesn't cost very much to add two more universes due to our situation.

The biggest part of my question: there's a very large distance between the tormentors and the FOH catwalk. We'd want permanent ports on each tower, and at least one (preferably three) on the long catwalk. I'm thinking there's two options. 1. Get and permanently mount an opto-splitter, or 2. Each DMX output location is a duplex box with a male and female port. When the area isn't being used, a short jumper cable plugs into both, and sends the signal on to the next box in line.

It seems like #2 would work fine and would save some budget, but we'd still be stuck at 32 devices in the area. The opto-splitter would allow us to have a much larger number of fixtures, which would be great if we ever started switching to LED ellipsoidals (the area is set up for 60 conventionals). However, I'm not sure I could talk people into the added cost of a good opto-splitter. I'm thinking we could set up option two, because it can easily be reconfigured with an opto-splitter in the future, when we have more than 32 DMX devices up there.

Just as a note: I myself and most people I know won't actually go all the way up to 32 devices. Yes that is what the DMX512A standard says is doable, but we don't load it up that much. We've seen it cause bad signal issues. Granted you'll probably never use Kino-Flo brand gear, but I never want more than 8 Kino's on a DMX run. Some fixtures get a little finicky when too many are in a daisy chain.
I'm a heavy user of Isolated Optical Splitters.

The future is networking. If you go ETC, wire your theatre up with ethernet cable (CAT5 wiring is cheap, you'd be paying mostly for labor) for Net3, or if you go with Strand, I believe the same cables support ShowNet. So long as you can afford the wiring at some point, you can buy Net3 or ShowNet nodes as you have budget for it.

At my primary place of work, we have Net3 and DMX outputs/inputs across the theatre. If we wanted to add outputs, we can buy portable Net3 nodes and move them around as needed. At another theatre I work at, we use ShowNet and have eight 2-port nodes that float around the theatre as DMX outputs are needed. The ports on Net3 and ShowNet nodes can be reprogrammed by the user to determine if they're inputs, if they're outputs, and which universes they are. It's a lot more flexible of a system than having straight DMX wiring in your walls.

If you're going the route of LED's, I suggest staying far away from Strand. That TD I was giving a Congo demo to this week? I was giving it to him because we've been fighting his Light Palette VL since August trying to get it to play nicely with the LED's after the venue got a $100k energy efficiency grant to buy 40 Selador fixtures (plus a number of big electrical changes around the building). The Strand Light Palette VL was doing fine enough with conventionals, but when it came to LED's, it gave me migraines -- I'm being literal there; I left the venue after my first show on the Light Palette with a migraine I almost passed out from at 1am while a dozen of my closet friends were trying to figure out if I needed to go to an ER. During that show, the TD was sitting next to me at the console and on a number of occasions I'd press a button only to find the console to do something different than I wanted it to. The TD and I exchanged frustrated glances several times as things that worked in rehearsal didn't work during the show.

The summary of our problems is as follows:

1) You have to be very careful recording submasters or you'll bring one up in a show for some group of conventionals only to find it blacks out your LED's.

2) If you buy Selador (which also means if you buy the new ETC LED Source Four fixture), the console's color engine will only ever use 3 of the 7 colors of LED's in the fixtures. Phone tag with Strand about that turned into a blame game.

3) Strand's fixture profiles are made in-house. They do not use the calibrated fixture profiles by Carallon. If you by a Selador fixture and use a gel picker on a console with Carallon profiles to match the LED's to R48, it'll be a pretty close match. If you use a Strand console, it will only mix the colors with three of the seven LED's, and won't be at all close to R48 (a sub-problem of #2).

4) Want to use color effects? The Light Palette's color engine will only allow effects with three of the seven LED's if you use Selador.

5) You cannot create "By Device Type" color palettes on a Light Palette, which means you either have to...
a) Program new color palettes for your LED's every time you make a show file.
OR
b) Have a lengthy workaround to get your color palettes to apply to all your newly patched LED fixtures in each new show file you create.

6) On our Light Palette, we'd fade presets up and down with LED's in them only to find the LED's to suddenly flash to white or snap to the wrong colors. The only way to get satisfactory fades was to pre-record everything into cue stacks.

7) The Light Palette's entire effects engine is generally painful to use. Getting effects set up isn't awful, but bringing them up during a show or turning them requires some kind of voodoo we couldn't figure out after days spent digging through the manual.

8) The Light Palette is a generally inflexible console for any busking scenario beyond conventionals (in our opinion, that is -- and "our opinion" refers to the opinion of every lighting programmer and the TD at the venue).

That TD bought his Light Palette VL new a couple years ago, and he tolerated it until he bought the Selador package. Since then, him and I have been having weekly sessions trying to find less painful ways to use the console. We've dug through the manual, called Strand, posted here at CB, posted at the Strand-Dev forums, and played email tag, and the best solutions we could come up were only slightly-less-terrible than the solutions we had previously been using. There was never any point where we said, "Oh, thank god. Finally!" The best we could come up with was "Well it's about ____ time, and that still doesn't solve these other problems..."

I've given that TD our full-size Congo for six weeks. In an hour and a half, he was sold. He told me that he finally understood why I had been so frustrated working with his Light Palette. We set up a test rig with his LED's and he realized how much more flexible Congo is compared to the Light Palette. We're already planning training session for his programmers and him so they can learn it if/when he gets a Congo, and even if he doesn't, so they can experience how user-friendly busking LED's is supposed to be versus working on the Light Palette.

It helped that I spent the night before that demo figuring out how I would want to busk LED's on it, and I sent four emails to the Congo team that night, three of which were feature requests. I got a reply by midnight from a person on the Congo team saying they wanted to implement those features in a new release, but in the meanwhile gave me a run-down of things I could try now that I might like just as much. I relayed that to the TD, and he also liked both the features I requested as well as the features they were working on.

As I said before, I cannot comment much on Eos/Gio/Ion/Element, but I can tell you about my experiences with Congo and Light Palette consoles. I can tell you that Congo has never made me feel limited or held back, but the Light Palette has only ever given me headaches despite every effort I put forth to make it work for us.

PM me sometime and we'll set up a phone call if you want to hear about the sweet solutions that TD and I are planning on using on Congo for his upcoming shows. I've done a little too much typing already in this thread to include that rundown in this post.

Last edited:
We at Strand will be happy to help as best we can with support and training for our consoles. Everyone has their preference of desks and there are benefits and downsides to all.

One of the advantages to our controlled fixture library is the ability to share information across all makes and models of fixtures. Not all LEDs have more than 3 colors and therefore that data is not universally transferrable to all unit types.

Tweaking the colors and storing them into color palettes is the likely solution and then applying color palettes is quick and easy on a LightPalette VL with the Century Array.

Additionally, there have been many advances to the effects engine and the Tips and Tricks bulletins go a long way to explain how this works.

If any user needs help, then can contact tech support at 800.4.STRAND or me directly at [email protected]

Can you use 3 pin 4 channel dimmer packs with the congo series I have all 3 pin fixtures and dimmer packs. I do have an adapter to 5 pin? I am just wondering if it will work I tour with a lot of smaller groups and the features of the board are exactly what I need. Although the lights I have are things like ADJ intimidator 250. Will those work any insight.

Can you use 3 pin 4 channel dimmer packs with the congo series I have all 3 pin fixtures and dimmer packs. I do have an adapter to 5 pin? I am just wondering if it will work I tour with a lot of smaller groups and the features of the board are exactly what I need. Although the lights I have are things like ADJ intimidator 250. Will those work any insight.
Congo's output DMX via 5 pin. This is pretty standard on most consoles. A 5 to 3 pin DMX adapter should work fine.

We at Strand will be happy to help as best we can with support and training for our consoles. Everyone has their preference of desks and there are benefits and downsides to all.
One of the advantages to our controlled fixture library is the ability to share information across all makes and models of fixtures. Not all LEDs have more than 3 colors and therefore that data is not universally transferrable to all unit types.

PSA: Element/Ion/Eos/Gio/Ti can all do this (and with more than three color systems, as well as with Pan/Tilt any other applicable attribute)

Last edited by a moderator:
PM me sometime and we'll set up a phone call if you want to hear about the sweet solutions that TD and I are planning on using on Congo for his upcoming shows. I've done a little too much typing already in this thread to include that rundown in this post.

I disagree... This stuff is gold, and phone calls aren't indexable or searchable.

I don't know if I speak for everyone, but by all means: expound further.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back