Control/Dimming ETC Element 3D offline show programing

I am the lighting technician and designer for a huge conference happening in two weeks. The console I am running will be the ETC Element 40. My dilemma is that the lighting rig won't be set up until the day before this conference, which is a two weekend event with multiple live artist performances all through out the days. I have about 80 fixtures to program. I'm not worried about the small stuff like programming beam, color, and intensity pallet...but rather than the focus pallets and the effects that I can use with rig. I am looking for a way to use a 3D rendered model of our lighting rig inside of the console so I can digitally create my scenes and effects and then simply test everything when the rig is built and functioning. Is there any function in the console that can do that for me? I know in the ETC tutorial DVD the instructor has a 3D rendered stage with all the fixtures moving and functioning inside of the render and I want to know if I could get my hands on that.

I would greatly appreciate any help or feedback I can get. Thanks and God Bless
Taylor B.

There's nothing built in to the console to do 3D rendering but the console will integrate with most visualizers. The tutorials use Capture . The search tool will find you lots of threads and a wiki article on visualizers.

Thank you for the help. The one issue I see however is that this conference has a budget and if I would need to purchase this program I do not know if we would have enough in the budget for it. Does the free/student version give me at least 4 dmx universes? Also, would you know how to connect the computer with this program to an ETC element 40?

There's nothing built in to the console to do 3D rendering but the console will integrate with most visualizers. The tutorials use Capture . The search tool will find you lots of threads and a wiki article on visualizers.

Thank you for the help. The one issue I see however is that this conference has a budget and if I would need to purchase this program I do not know if we would have enough in the budget for it. Does the free/student version give me at least 4 dmx universes? Also, would you know how to connect the computer with this program to an ETC element 40?

80 fixtures ?.

If these are moving fixtures and LED's, I would be worried that the Element is most certainly NOT the console I would be using for such a large rig. If an avg. of maybe 20 addresses per fixture, that's 1600 addresses needed, which no Element will accommodate. Even maxing the console address count of 1024 addresses divided by 80 fixtures means you are limited to maybe 12 addresses per fixture, which no fixture I know runs on so few.

As well, even getting creative with magic sheets and using touch screens, this is going to be a bear to run.

Maybe a Gios ?.

80 fixtures ?.

If these are moving fixtures and LED's, I would be worried that the Element is most certainly NOT the console I would be using for such a large rig. If an avg. of maybe 20 addresses per fixture, that's 1600 addresses needed, which no Element will accommodate. Even maxing the console address count of 1024 addresses divided by 80 fixtures means you are limited to maybe 12 addresses per fixture, which no fixture I know runs on so few.

As well, even getting creative with magic sheets and using touch screens, this is going to be a bear to run.

Maybe a Gios ?.

I have ran this console for the past year and I am fairly familiar with how it works, plus we I know that for us, it will be too late to change out the console. I know ETC has an adapter available that gives access to two more DMX ports via either-net. The lights we are running for this conference are both LEDs and moving fixtures, Including an unknown number of Chauvet Next NTX-1 panels and 32 Martin Rush MH3. I am going to run most of the sets through cue presets. I will need to pick and choose what to run for guest artists on the fly which is going to be my biggest challenge.

*EDIT*
And apparently the 42 Chauvet Next NXT Panels are going to be ran on another console by another tech...who has no idea that he will be doing this yet...

Last edited:
The maximum DMX output count for all the Elements is as Derek stated - 1024 addresses.

And as he stated, you can spread those addresses across multiple universes via configured nodes, but you cannot increase the address count of these desks beyond 1024 total.

But power to you for doing this, hope it all fits.

The student edition is 2 universes and a limited library.
Capture comparisons: http://www.capturesweden.com/Products/Comparison.aspx

Connecting to ETC products is documented here:
http://www.etcconnect.com/Support/A...-and-Eos-Family-Consoles-to-a-Visualiser.aspx

I have downloaded the student version onto a Mac computer. I have gone through the steps given from the two links that you have provided. I had directly connected my console to the computer by an either net cable and as I have tried to work in a new show profile the program has not recognized my console or the workspace I have had set up. I have seen other people having trouble with the student version an ETC consoles. Not sure what to do from here.

If this seems too difficult to do, what other visualizer would you recommend that would give me at least 2 dmx universes and importing of a 3D model of our stage? I was given the ok to look into purchasing licensing so long as the price is reasonable.

I have posted in a previous thread [Edit by Mod.: threads merged] about trying to connect Capture with my ETC Element console. I have now successfully connected everything and now I am trying to work with my stage inside the program. My problem is that the fixtures I need to work with are not found inside of the library of this version of Capture. I understood that the library would be limited to what I could do, but I had no idea I had next to nothing to work with. The budget is extremely tight and I'm pretty sure that having to purchase Capture Basic for $1300 or so is out of the question.

I have already contacted Capture's library team and seeing how they can help me in creating the patch information that I need in order to do my work. I'm afraid that by the time they return my email with either good or bad news, I would have waisted more time than I can afford since I am on a ticking clock. I am running a large lighting rig for a Conference lasting two weekends back to back starting next Thursday night and the rig won't be finished until Monday night latest. This conference includes at least nine live band performances running at least 45 minutes each with intros and dance teams and live speaking sessions. I need many different looks and I would rather have the basic work like focusing and some of the bulk work like some of the intros and sets done before the rig is put up.

I am wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction with this problem. Also, is it possible to take patch information off of the Element console, transfer it to a hard drive, and then upload it into the Capture library?

Last edited by a moderator:
I feel for you but you are of course, running a student version in a professional environment. So you kind of get what you paid for, just sayin'.

If you can work with a single universe, Argo Solo is only $395. If you can fund it, you'll be better off in the long run. In addition to the limited library, the file format that the shows are saved in are different in the Student version than in the 'paid' versions so anything you do in the Student version will need to be redone if you ever do upgrade.

You could use Chamsys MagicVis. You would have to build the show in MagicQ first, then open the separate MagicVis app and connect your Element via Art-Net.
I am currently trying to connect my element console to the program itself and I seem to be having trouble connecting them. I have changed all the IP addresses to what their tutorial pdf instructed me to do and it doesn't seem to recognize my console. Do you or anyone else know what to do? There is no firewall active

MagicHD doesn't allow you to import other 3D formats. You have access to truss, pipes, a large selection of fixtures, square forms, and video screen type items (if you are using MagicHD). Chamsys really doesn't work great for theater stuff with lots of senic elements and elaborate stage designs, but if you just wanna be able to program some pallets, FX, and see what lights look like in a rough layout, you should be alright.

I'm not sure about the connectivity to the board. I've never done this, just threw out a possibility. I think that there is a Chamsys rep on the forums somewhere who could probably help you out on the Chamsys side of things.

I certainly can sympathize with your plight as I'm often in situations similar to you, but from a business stand-point your probably not gonna get a very workable solution with your budget. I'd suggest just keeping it as simple as possible. Worry about the basic washes and than worry about the bands.

Hi Taylor:

Phil with ChamSys USA here. To address your connectivity issue:

ping the etc console from the computer you are using for MagcViz.

You can do this natively from the computer operating system or....

If you have downloaded our software you will have MagicQ installed on the computer you are using for MagicViz. Go to Setup, view settings, network and double click on the IP address. Select the IP address of your LAN card you are using on the computer. Then enter ... That's three periods followed by the IP address of the etc console. You should get a reply if all is configured correctly.

To address the rest of your post: please consider using MagicQ for your control too. Then you can pixel map all those panels, control your rig and have an easy time preparing your show via MagicViz. I expect you could rent a wing, compact console or console for your show for a reasonable amount and I will be happy to help you source that and answer any other technical questions if you contact me at [email protected]

In a real pinch you could use the free software to do it all if you have any network to DMX gear available. We give you 64 universes over artnet, ACN or several other protocols, for free. Speaking as an LD, I would suggest that a control surface of some sort would be preferable, and likely lead to the best outcome for your work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back