Genie Lifts

CSCTech

Hey everyone, I have always heard people talking about 'Genie Lifts', but couldnt actually find much on them. I kind of got they are a sort of lift intended for focusing and for accessing deadhung battens.

Where would one purchase one of these and how much do they useally go for?

Not sure depending on cost if I would bring this up. Might be useful for the buildings maintenance dept. as well.

Not a big fan of ladders! (Fixed FOH position no catwalk)

Hey everyone, I have always heard people talking about 'Genie Lifts', but couldnt actually find much on them. I kind of got they are a sort of lift intended for focusing and for accessing deadhung battens.

Where would one purchase one of these and how much do they useally go for?

Not sure depending on cost if I would bring this up. Might be useful for the buildings maintenance dept. as well.

Not a big fan of ladders! (Fixed FOH position no catwalk)

They're called Ariel Work Platforms, or AWPs. Here is the one we use in our theater, here is the whole family of products. I think ours is the tallest model they have, going up to around 45' (it's awesome for doing things like changing gym lights too); there are shorter ones for cheaper too. There's a link to find dealers on that page, call up a local one.

As far as the price, estimated $3000-$10,000 new for the various heights and models, but you could get one used for cheaper, like this one.

Great, thanks so much Tim.
Wow, a lot less expensive then I was thinking.
We do not have any portable systems so I wouldnt need to go that high (Gyms). I actually only need a fairly small one, I have no idea the height of our FOH electric but it is not that high, but a genie would sure beat the heck out of our current ladder. And would be so nice for focusing even our flown electrics because im sure everyone knows how hard it is focusing on deck level.

Great, thanks so much Tim.
Wow, a lot less expensive then I was thinking.
We do not have any portable systems so I wouldnt need to go that high (Gyms). I actually only need a fairly small one, I have no idea the height of our FOH electric but it is not that high, but a genie would sure beat the heck out of our current ladder. And would be so nice for focusing even our flown electrics because im sure everyone knows how hard it is focusing on deck level.

Our FOH lights are 30 feet above a slanted floor. (they're further into the house than most) We used to have to put an extension ladder up into nowhere and balance it on the edge of the cove. Trust me, you'll love the genie. Battery-powered hours of vertical awesome. =]

Our FOH lights are 30 feet above a slanted floor. (they're further into the house than most) We used to have to put an extension ladder up into nowhere and balance it on the edge of the cove. Trust me, you'll love the genie. Battery-powered hours of vertical awesome. =]

How do you do geine lifts on a slanted floor? (never worked with one but my school has one (now to get them to let us use it to change florescent bulbs 40' up)

I'm not sure if the battery life and charge spend have been improved, but at one theatre I've been with a Genie you could only focus a couple instruments before having to recharge which takes a long time.

How do you do geine lifts on a slanted floor? (never worked with one but my school has one (now to get them to let us use it to change florescent bulbs 40' up)

Genie makes a piece of equipment called a Super Straddle
proxy.php

Super-Straddle™

which allows you to jack the genie off the ground and rake it to match the floor slant up to I think 15 degrees. You can also adjust how far the outriggers are spaced so you can slide it sideways through the seating in order to access house lighting fixtures above the audience without having to unbolt and move rows of seats.

Last edited by a moderator:

They have stabilizing legs that come out with cranks that adjust to the ground. Outriggers, I believe they're called. It's not much of a slant, so it's not hard to compensate with them.

We also have the 'super straddle' wheelbase attachment, which allows us to roll between and work over the seats in the house. Edit: Sony beat me to this.

I'm not sure if the battery life and charge spend have been improved, but at one theatre I've been with a Genie you could only focus a couple instruments before having to recharge which takes a long time.

Ours is about 5 years old, and we can focus all the FOH lights (14 if i recall correctly) without even having to think about battery. I can't give you good specs because I'm not usually the one using the genie, but it's not that bad. And I can't seem to find any specs on battery life in the product brochures...odd...

Genie's batterys are usually unsealed and therefore need to be topped off with distilled water every so often. Genie batteries are used pretty hard and need yearly maintenance/replacement in many facilities. Even the old "good" genies can go an entire call on a charge if maintenance often.

As said above, the genie battery needs normal maintenence to keep it running. If that is going to be a problem, then you can also get a model that only takes regular AC current, but then of course you have to be tethered to a wall.

Before you get all crazy-happy about the Genie AWP, note that it has 3 inconveniences. First, it can only do a slight incline without the super straddle, which I have never seen used. If your aisles are steep, you will have difficulty cranking the manual screw jacks to level it, not to mention holding it in place on the incline while it is leveled.

Also, the AWP series is NOT designed to be moved while the basket is raised. You are supposed to come down, un-crank the outriggers, move, crank the legs down and then go up. This is quite tedious. Some people omit this step and just push the person around while the basket is up. You are not supposed to do this.

and lastly, it has little sensors to detect if the outriggers are installed properly. They can fail, which makes it hard to go up, and some people think up ways to circumvent them, so as to make it easier to push people around with the basket raised.

One house I worked in we purchased a secondary battery housing so that we could remove one when it was dead and keep working on the backup. Before that we would either have to allow the unsafe procedure of moving the lift in the upright position or work would be halted after one electric. And that was with new batteries each season.

Personally, I prefer to have the lifts with AC power in the theater setting. The battery system is great for arenas or for outdoor use where AC isn't as readily available or will get in the way.

It might be worth noting that some people use the term "Genie Lift" to refer to any single person, vertical mast, aerial work platform aka personnel lift, aka (but no longer politically proper) man lift. Similar products are manufactured by JLG, UpRight, and many others.

The only models designed to be moved with the platform elevated are the self-propelled models, such as the Genie Runabout-series and JLG 20MSP.

As for where to purchase, Google "YourCity, equipment rental". Sunbelt Rentals and RSC are two well-known national companies.

... because im sure everyone knows how hard it is focusing on deck level.
See the wiki entry bounce focus. Betcha didn't even know the method you use had an official name, didya?;)

Last edited:
Hmm, a Genie, or even ManLift would help us so much. I will definelty bring it up sometime (But I kind of already got past a new sound system, booth construction, followspot and lightboard for this year!).
I am sure the maintenance would love this aswell so now they wouldnt have to change the houselamps for us anymore..which take about, all year to do so..
I never tried changing the houselamps myself, I think our ladder would fit evenly between seats though, because to focus foh we have the step side in the third row aisle and the rung side is infront of the first row, the pit.

Our aisle are on a slight incline, not sure how much, but not very steep at all, and it just starts under our foh electric so shouldnt be a problem, but might even ask for a super straddle included since then we could change the lamps. And thinking of it, I dont think we would be able to use it without a SS for our FOH because it is above the second row.
I think an AC power version would be nice, just need a long extension cord, no problem.

They must be pushed/pulled manually yes? And the RunAbout has a motorized propulsion?

Haha Derek, nope, first time I heard of Bounce Focusing

I never tried changing the houselamps myself, I think our ladder would fit evenly between seats though, because to focus foh we have the step side in the third row aisle and the rung side is infront of the first row, the pit.

Chances are that your school's insurance will not let any student anywhere near a genie lift. Just throwing this out there because as I know from personal experience, it's very easily ignored, and if the wrong person were to catch a high school student on a genie lift at my high school, the whole theater program would have been shut down. Or at least the 'students in tech crew' part of it.

MisterTim,

Oh well of course. I would have to explain the benefits of a Genie anyways and it would most likely be decided to have someone come in to teach a few people to use the genie and only those persons would be permitted to use it. Would probably be locked in our closest as it does say it fits through doorways.

But yeah, if we do get one, it would be mostly ganitorial staff using it and probably only other person be me. And if it is brought up by me as a way to easily access our FOH electric I would hope it is implied I/other tech crew would be using it.

But hey, I guess I will have to see if they go for it in the first place.

Chances are that your school's insurance will not let any student anywhere near a genie lift. Just throwing this out there because as I know from personal experience, it's very easily ignored, and if the wrong person were to catch a high school student on a genie lift at my high school, the whole theater program would have been shut down. Or at least the 'students in tech crew' part of it.

It REALLY depends on the school. All the high schools I have worked at have allowed students in Genie lifts as long as they are properly trained, supervised and wearing proper PPE. Again it depends on how liberal your school is and also probably on your students reputation for being responsible. I know at NNHS we are a highly vocational/trade oriented school and therefore kids are using dangerous equipment like power tools every day during class and therefore our school wide insurance policy covers students and the use of said tools and we are highly committed to safety with inspectors coming through on a regular basis unannounced.

Start out with the AWP or similar, not-self-propelled model. When used properly, a genie is safer than a ladder, becuase its virtually impossible to fall. (Just don't stand on the handrails) And since you cant drive it, theres no way for you to accidentally drive off the stage.

The school from which I'll be graduation from tomorrow has an AWP as does every other high school I've worked at. Students have also been allowed to use the lift at every school that I've worked at. They require the students to be supervised ofcourse, and I suspect that it's more of an exception that techs are allowed in the lift as they trust us (for the most part).

It's a great thing to have. We don't have a battery operated model and I honestly see no need for one as there's always an outlet somewhere nearby.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back