Vintage Lighting Hub Electric Altman 360 Leko’s in totally screwing me up

ship

Senior Team Emeritus
Premium Member
Got in ten Texture Black radial Leko’s today plus a Century - later. Stickers say Hub Electric #8763 for the 6x12 and #8663 for the 6x9 radial Leko’s on the snout. No not in the Hub catalogue recently put on-line which lists or shows them thus perhaps post 1967 for age of them given the stickers.. (Looked at the catalogue thoroughly and I didn’t see any Altman style 360 fixtures in it at least.)

Seem just like an Altman 360 series Leko in what I would call but cannot be confirm as the 1957-62 era for Altman before they went Hammertone Brown. (I know by 62' Altman was the Hammertone Brown.) Was that third color in existence as an Altman color or was this another brand either Hub or Hub bought from - say Century in what year did they go out of business I don’t remember? (This assuming Altman and Century had similar fixtures on the market at the same time.) I know Hub mostly bought from other makers than Altman - see the Strand PAR can, the Kliegl and Century other fixtures from Colortran etc. listed in the catalogue, but specifically no Altman. Did Hub make their own gear? Was that gear they made - designs and even say tooling from others perhaps later made by them after others advanced to something else? Old other brand castings say? (Got a lot of fixtures dependant on age and brand that I think are early Altman but perhaps in riding on this question - was it the exact similar design but different paint thru say Hub or Century and later?) Was Hammertone Brown the first color for Altman or was it Texture Black?

Guy I’m working with from a community theater remembers the Hub #8765 well from high school - like thirty to forty years ago in a light that will have been similar in age. Given that Leko in the Hub catalogue is seemingly Century in appearance, was he working with the first and real 1936 “Leko”? Or was the Hub fixture similar to but different than it - this in still being sold into the early 60's by way of Hub? Did Hub perhaps buy the design and continue making them otherwise? I have the 8764 which is a #1865E 1950 Kliegl, and the #8768 which also has Century knobs thus I believe an un-known 1939 Century design, though I'm yet to find conformation on it. Hub was clealy retailing other makers gear and placing their sticker on them.

Think Hub mostly retailed other brands of fixture and later perhaps sold the Altman line. Still though there is a problem with that concept. If I have fixtures that are Texture Black that if I date to 57' thru 62, why didn’t this Hub catalogue from the era in up to 67' list any Altman like fixtures? Clearly a Hub fixture in sticker on it I recieved today, yet not listed in even in the 67' catalogue for this I will have thought pre-1962 era fixture. Indication of such a fixture later for ceiling mount types of similar drawing, but no pipe mount type of Altman 360 style listed. Hub catalogue lists nothing similar to these I have in my garage to work on. Yet they should be a much older version than listed given the color and style.

The heck was Hub doing in screwing up anything history time line I thought? Listing even I think 1936 and 1939 Lekos even into the 60's. Anyone of help here? (Granted the S-4 is almost as venerable at this point for the most base of concept. Still something from 36' listed in even a 62 era catalogue as optimum given all the advances over the years... hard to figure out given the Hub catalogue.)

Also of note on the few Lekos I got that were easily opened (rest stuck somewhat) was that all gate reflectors were aluminum as opposed to steel as often found on similar aged fixtures. Given either blackened or reflective but very dusty gate reflector - not something normal to an Altman 360 line. Half were blackened on the reflector in not reflecting - but still aluminum, the other half while dirty, were a reflecting source. Completely a later than say 62' concept I think the gate reflector. This much less I was expecting more steel gate baffle than aluminum ones reflective or blackened given the texture paint era. Possible small detail but what I found in two and many more eras perhaps. Still are these Altman making the fixtures and from steel to aluminum blackened in to reflective between 57-62" Doubtful so much change. This especially if a Hub sticker on the fixture with one or two ways of doing gate reflectors... Yet Hub up until 67' doesn’t even advertise a similar fixture they sell. Very confusing.

Further in curious is the raidal 6x9 step lens fixtures the theater still has. They are Texture Black and have a 360 shape to them but no band labels. Not marked from Hub but probably part of the same lot of fixtures bought from them in lots of interesting gear. Kopp glass which is possible for lens brand on the step lens. Dual step lens though... never seen that before and unless if say Altman 360 series originally had step lenses, I would think not accurate for the lens train & replacement lenses by a mis-guided person. A couple of them though in that being a problem for that concept. Certanly the parent company Century as it were, was beyond step lenses and now dual lenses by now for similar Leko’s. What are these 6x9 Leko’s doing with dual lens step lenses? Accurate and a new concept in the radial Leko nobody has seen yet - or someone over the years putting in something that would fit? Same in all other ways to this early 360 class other than the lens. (Yet to bench focus them and will soon.) Still though... dual step lens 360 like lens train? By now the lens train with normal lenses was well established. This verses say single lens Kliegl holdovers from the 50's installed by armature tech person to replace say broken lenses. I think in not jumping on the examples for the museum so far but very curious that I am very curious about this double step lens concept for what otherwise would be a normal first era 360 series Leko. Given this... Perhaps Hub was making their own Leko’s as a concept.

Separate totally...
Also got in a Century 6x9 Leko today. Believe it to be their last version of Leko before they went out of business. Now think I have all styles of them except the first version above mentioned this TD learned with and remembers. One problem is the paint job on this 4.5x6x5 style I now own one of. The lens train is what I would think more of the Century Hammertone Gray color. The rest is more of a Hammertone Olive Drab in color. Interesting this different color, yet the last era I think. Possible back in the day someone did some base/lens train swapping? Like six of them in stock in the theater without other fixtures of that brand. All are similar in that lens train swapping concept.

Gray tone Century I think earlier than the more beige versions of later. On these fixtures, dependant on what section of them you look at, the more the color changes as per a factory type of thing. Was Century re-painting stuff and or just these the last era of their Leko’s by way of painting and tapering? Lamp cap to pineapple, to gate assembly to snout... all various assemblies are similar and tapering in factory color but not the same overall. It’s as if the last generation in painting what was needed and yea.. Paint good towards the end. Can see tapered paint on some parts for not bothering to cover. Blend I think of 50's Gray paint color and later Olive Drab.

Whats’ going on with this I think last generation of Century Leko? Accurate that they do from Olive Drab to Gray or something really unusual? Note the pineapple assembly of Olive drab peeled off sufficiently that I needed to remove it. Not as high temp. as one might expect.

History of lighting help here?

Last edited:
ship, your "wall of words" would be much more engaging if it contained pictures. Everything (well, almost everything:oops:) is better with pictures.;)

...Separate totally...
Also got in a Century 6x9 Leko today. Believe it to be their last version of Leko before they went out of business. ...
There's a problem with that statement, as Century Lighting never actually went out of business, at least not until 1989. The milestones, as I know them to be:
From Memory Lighting Control Systems, History - ControlBooth :
1964: Century Lighting sold to Progress Manufacturing Company of Philadelphia (parent company of Singer sewing machines), and is renamed Lighting Corporation of America (LCA)
1968: The Rank Organisation buys Strand Electric Holdings
1969: Rank buys LCA and forms Century Strand, "A company within the Rank Organisation"
1976: Century-Strand name changed to Strand-Century
1989: Strand-Century drops Century name, becomes Strand Lighting
Random thoughts:
I've never seen a double step lens system, and suspect that to be a user's misguided attempt at lens replacement. I believe Altman used black crinkle paint before the brown hammertone. Some 1960s Centurys also had a brown/gold hammertone finish. It seems to me that Altman didn't promote itself as a brand until the mid/late 1970s. Perhaps this was so the non-Kliegls and non-Centurys could OEM their products. In the 1980s, even ETC listed Altman fixtures in its catalog. The quest remains for examples of the ERS from the 1930s and 40s.

I cant think of anything thats not better with photos.

Photo’s I’ll do but think mostly won’t help in they are for all intensive purposes the 360 series radial Altman and will seem like them - only the texture black or black crinkle paint a difference in terms on perhaps the same style to show anything other than that perhaps first generation of them. Thanks for the so far info though and especially in confirming never having seen a dual lens step lens before on a 6x9. That was a head scratcher especially given I was working on a Kliegl 1355 tonight with single step lens but much later in age.

Only further detail I might note is that the ridge in casting between sides of the fixture - that center of the fixture between the yoke.... This seems on these fixtures to be more substantial in as if two parts of a casting combined and that weld not ground away for a specific seam. That seam between halves of the pineapple are much more pronounced with these fixtures than normal to Altman even 57' eara fixtures I think.

Major problems is still the Hub catalogue about ten years later still not listing these fixtures in part number or drawing. If Altman that I think they are - they are still very different in two very different ways. The 57' era radial with texture black paint 360 Leko was normal in aluminum reflector but had a steel non-reflective and mostly from what I have seen rusted gate reflector. Don’t know if black or what - rusted is all I have ever seen. These gate reflectors are aluminum and some are blackened, others are reflective. Also the ellipsoidal primary reflector in what i didn’t note last night are different. The are stepped reflectors as it were. Kind of similar in some ways to the modern Altman reflector only the steps are concentric and not sectioned. Literally everything else about them is a raidal 360 series Leko otherwise - this right down to the Bryant lampholders. Same non-grounded holes for asbestos wire to feed in and all similar. What am I missing?

And about the Century easy dating for where I might expect this last generation before Strand. That photo with the mostly gray lens train and olive drab top assembly perhaps might be more useful. I note on the burned into tag that it’s a #1580 Century Lighting Inc. thus now at most 1964, and I think their last generation of Leko. Thanks for the help in the dating. Fixture is after the turn key lamp socket but still using the turn key like knob to attach it. Nice fixture but long snout to it. Kind of a shame I had to take one of their 4.5x6.5 fixtures from the theater but they have I think never used them since I last worked on them like five years ago and have a huge amount of Lekos in stock. Huge for size of theater and what’s in storage. Plus I worked on this amongst the line of more years ago for free, this one in exchange for a 360Q 6x16 with iris was a fair trade. The rest still at the theater amongst others in way too many fixtures for any theater to have... they offer a lot and get a lot in support - for a community theater... one could hope for their problems overalll.. Could all wish for a similar situation where we have too many fixtures to even put to use - this even if at times old style.

On the Century, the main question is still that olive drab front assembly and the gray lens train. I’ll probably just display it as it is and note its curiosity in factor.

Main question is still about the Leko’s and Fresnels of the same paint from the same theater I got gear from. This given more modern elements to them as sold from Hub, but the wrong color of paint if they were distributer instead of maker of them. That and also wrong gate reflectors in use for the color of the Altman paint and fixtures they sold. Gate reflectors and never seen primary ellipsoidal reflectors these have before. That’s a further problem in otherwise the same castings and parts.

Also noting on the 360 radials, that the castings are showing a much more pronounced seam between halves than a Altman 360 serious would have. Didn't not it before as with different reflector, but do not. Seams between halves of the pineapple are very much more pronounced than on an Altman in that I never knew that it was cast in two halves before and perhaps it isn't.

Very confused about history and what I have on hand.

Last edited:
Intents and purposes!

History and eight will go back to the theater in fully working condition including accurate parts and bench focus that I will be doing for the line. Of the last two, one will go to me to add to the museum in lots of questions about now, the other will be shipped off to another museum in assuming they don't have one. Theater is fine in having more fixtures fixed up, this much less the work done and parts I add. That plus the history. Problem in my intent and purpose in fixing up old gear and learning about it? Did Hub Electric perhaps buy up the old Kliegl, Century and even Altman lines of fixtures in retailing them long after obsolete? Curious question by way of fixture history and who made what. Theory so far is that Hub bought up the old castings for gear or even up old fixtures than sold them as their own during the 60's. Would be interesting to note especially in dating gear.

Working on a lot of details reserched on these three lot numbers of Hub or say altman fixture. Here is a start of it with photos I'll describe later between the major lot numbers but the primary study of the later lot number of these fixtures is done and presented.

A bit of history on Hub gained by various books and the 57-68 catalogue first. Located at 2219 Grand Ave. Chicago initally, than 2255 on the same street by say 57'. Stayed there until 1968 when they moved to 940 Industrial Drive in Elmhurst, Illinois. Finally moved to Crystal Lake once joined up with Major (Frank Adams) / Vara-Light / Dimatronics. Now out of business except for occasional repair calls by the retired staff and by now the equipment has been auctioned off as of this past Spring. Wonder when they moved... grew up in Elmhurst and frequently drove by the location on the way to Dennys. TBA a return phone call in phone number still works but automated message system.

Important history because I have three different lot number of fixture. The 6x12 #8763 have a Chicago sticker on them and are only mentioned in the 1967 “Hot Lights and Camera” catalogue. Briefly mentioned as a specification without drawing of it, yet I think a c.1957 Altman design. One #8663 6x9 Leko has an Elmhurst sticker on it and given the company moved in 68' perhaps it wouldn’t be listed. The rest have no sticker on them and are of a slightly more brown paint color but more of a 62' in design other than paint and castins. Still the texture or crackle paint though. Certainly not Altman Brown. I also have a more gray/black 6x9 already in the museum which I thought Altman era 57-62' from the same theater, as with a Fresnel, and later purchase of an Inkie all with the same paint and as shown in the Hub catalogue. In addition to that, a flip top hatch 6" Fresnel listed at times. A lot of potentially Hub gear - or at least gear in their catalogue thought to be Altman, but also other brands of gear from Kliegl, to Century to Strand also listed in their catalogues but under their brand name. Think the flip hinged top Fresnel is Display Stage Lighting for instance.

Lore in the late 80's early 90's about Hub I grew up with was that they used to buy up a lot of other companies old gear and you could call them for parts. Never did so until recently because I wasn’t into old gear yet & mostly snubbed my nose at it as a young lighting tech. This than would explain why they list 30+ year old obsolete gear in their 1960's catalogues as theirs and only later in the 60's list Colortran gear, but in listing it as Colortran in also being modern for the age.

Three lot numbers of Hub gear and there is differences in them at least especially for those with or without the Hub sticker on them. 6x9 already in my museum I might have by mistake peeled off during cleaning - there was a lot more of this gear probably sold by Hub to NIU (Northern Illinois University) I was working on in bulk at the time way before my museum... didn’t even notice the step lenses as unusual like six years ago. One already in the museum lacks sticker but was earlier model.

Problem is still part number in that the 6x9 from Elmhurst has #8663, yet the Chicago 6x12's c.1967 say has 8763, and the others don’t have stickers and have a more brown paint color. #8663 is much earlier than most of the gear listed in the catalogue and would match up in a time line with if Altman, a more 57' thru 62' series of them before they went Altman hammertone brown. Square shutter brackets and lack of gobo slots also say older design. The last six 6x9 lack sticker and are more of a texture brown in color than gray/black once cleaned. Same basic old style Altman Leko but with differences to the other stickered ones thus later. All ten plus the one in the museum, plus a lot more still at the the theater I see indications on that they probably came from Northern Illinois University which would make sense given the proximity of the community theater to the school and past membership.

Sharpee markings also reveal a “6x6" on the 6x12's and “6x3" on the tagged 6x9. No idea of what kind of beam marking that means. Yokes are painted black with three mounting positions. All other hardware and parts are the same & normal Altman knobs etc. This includes the stepped reflectors. There is no clutch cam or clutch break in use.

All gel frame brackets are the older squared off style. Four of the yoke knobs were non-recessed more modern diamond in the center of the handle. Same shape, older casting. Seven normal knobs, three busted set screw left of knobs, six hex bolts.

Of the five lamp caps, three were un-grounded, one was grounded thru the rear vent holes, and the last had Heyco cord grips thru the holes and was grounded. All are asbestos and have steel socket mounting plates. All have Bryant P-28s sockets & un-slotted attachment knurled knobs. All five came with EGE lamps.

Details on the six of the later generation Texture Brown 6x9 and without stickers:
1) More brown than gray/black in texture paint. Could also mean that between 57 and 62, Altman was moving more towards the brown, but at 62 for or around the NY World’s fair switched to Hammertone Brown instead of Textured Brown. Have some Inkies that date that change in color confirmed from where they came from. Altman was either always Hammertone Brown, or switched about the time of this big sale in date and was perhaps Texture Black than more brown thru the years.
2) The newer style casting for the pineapple is using gate reflector and lens mounting downward onto the new casting mounting flanges older fixtures don’t have, as opposed to mounting it thru the sides of the fixture by way of upper flange to the gate reflector. The upper casting (pineapple) is for all intensive purposes other than paint a pre-1962 era Altman 360 series casting but with this casting change. No differences other than paint and a bit more harsh on the seam between halves and a bit more sharp edges in cooling vents.
3) While mostly the same parts on the later Leko’s, of the upper assembly four out of six had a painted black gate reflector assembly, the other two not painted and very rusted. All of steel and have not seen black painted gate reflectors before.
4) Still no gobo slots or Iris slots which would indicate a pre-62 design. Same casting for the shutter assembly on them and indeed the eight standoffs for mounting, the shutters but no slot for gobo or otherwise. Four of six had a thicker shutter standoff plate on them, the other two either later install or in later still models had Altman style gobo mounting plates on them - this even if there wasn’t a slot on the casting. Slightly thicker steel on the final shutter plates than the divider plates. Dimpled containing plates - that which are fastening shutter assembly are steel and fastened by #6x3/8" Hex Washer Head Slotted thread cutting screws. As normal for a post 62 era Leko before they went aluminum with that plate.
5) Side note, one of these Lekos came with a dual step lens assembly in now confirming that these probably were cheaper replacement lenses in use. Lenses were mounted convex / convex in having a bad effect optically I think.

Lots more info I'm studying and compiling. Perhaps three classes of Altman between 57' and 62' which Hub bought out the designs to. Would explain a lot. Or perhaps Century fixtures during the early period that Hub started making. This amongst lots of other history to find out.

Sorry if boring history that's curious to me. Photos are take but not sent yet.

I'm curious about the gobo slots you mentioned, even though the casting didn't have provisions for a gobo. Is it possible that some of these fixtures were assembled from a hodgepodge of some newer and some older retired fixtures - a pile of parts where a TD thought during a desperate tech week, "OK, I need four more ellipsoidals. I think I can assemble some from these here parts."

The paint job is a confusing one. I have some older 360Q's with the recessed bolt (in lieu of the diamond stamp) which are hammertone brown. Strange that they would go from black to brown. My inkies are the textured grayish brown you mentioned, with the double contact bayonet socket.

Gel frame holders - when did they go from sharp corners to rounded corners? I have seen axials with sharp corners and radials with rounded corners. There are currently some very old Altman radials with rounded gel frame holders on eBay. They are all sheet metal - no cast aluminum. Possibly another hodgepodge.

Last edited:
I'm curious about the gobo slots you mentioned, even though the casting didn't have provisions for a gobo. Is it possible that some of these fixtures were assembled from a hodgepodge of some newer and some older retired fixtures - a pile of parts where a TD thought during a desperate tech week, "OK, I need four more ellipsoidals. I think I can assemble some from these here parts."

The paint job is a confusing one. I have some older 360Q's with the recessed bolt (in lieu of the diamond stamp) which are hammertone brown. Strange that they would go from black to brown. My inkies are the textured grayish brown you mentioned, with the double contact bayonet socket.

Gel frame holders - when did they go from sharp corners to rounded corners? I have seen axials with sharp corners and radials with rounded corners. There are currently some very old Altman radials with rounded gel frame holders on eBay. They are all sheet metal - no cast aluminum. Possibly another hodgepodge.

The Altman was always steel front and at first I think squared off, than in like 62 or later in hole in history I don’t have other than octogon for hammertone brown but could have made mistakes over the years in early collecting. 62' they did either change color in confirmed date, or were always that color. Do know for the World’s Fair of 62' they did change color as probable. Could be by volume this new paint dried faster given the bulk order.

Agreed on Gobo slots later added spacers for the final plate - heavily rusted gobo slot or thicker plate in use and even an extra plate of thin size found on one perhaps given shutter tension. Someone has been inside at least one of these fixtures over the years. That with also a thoroughly mis-drilled lamp cap that was first mis-drilled than really badly cut. Someone over the years was working on the fixtures also given the older hand rivited upper cap assemblies. Perhaps spacer plates on two of them were too far gone for use.

On inkie’s - dual contact BA-15d socket is specifically post 62' and possibly later by way of invention of the lamp verses when it came to market. Look at it’s wear pattern on the mounting plate for evidence of a different socket. Bi-post type BA-15d sockets could be round in bakelite base but later were steel bracket. Screw focus knob on the front of the fixture or bottom wing screw a more important question in you probably have the later bottom wing screw version. Have both and both are the same color and style mostly for texture black. Screw fed version is in the Hub catalogue though into the latter 60's. Metal bracket inkie says a replaced base though I can tell you. After that, perhaps origional sockets and another refinement or just same socket replaced. Brass screws were used and there will not have been a cord grip in use that early other than perhaps zip cord, not-grounded and Heyco. Details I have not studied into much.

Overall concept that I’m working on is that Hub at first was selling off bought gear or molds for making it thru the 60's, and in the late 60's was still selling 30's and 50' models. I think they probably bought off most of the c.1960 Altman gear and tooling to sell from say 67' thru the 70's.

Catalogue is a very important element of that concept. Early 60's Altman Leko’s yet not perhaps sold by Hub until the late 60's at best and when obsolete already by Altman. Yet they do replace the much older gear from the 30's and 50's.

What this means to you... Perhaps if a collector, some of the gear you thought was really old, isn’t as old as thought to be. This includes a good deal of my collection. Not quite reproduction grade, but also perhaps not original gear made by the company one thought made it. Details of version three above for instance says that either Altman changed a lot between 57' and 62 in what they were developing. Possible in the minor changes found on later Altman Brown gear, but assuming that, Hub wasn’t really selling Altman gear before 67/68 and of a ten year old style... Big question. For me at least. Version three at least takes onto a new color but similar parts to the Altman Brown thru it’s years. If Hub was selling these early casting Altman models in the 70's say, would explain the similar parts but lack of advancements to the Altman line such as more aluminum parts and or fasteners. 67/68' were still selling a fixture with older gate reflector/baffle style, than changed to the early 60's steel but different casting for mounting it.

Still lots to study but clearly 67/68 series than one later from Hub. Or Altman perhaps but with much later stickers on them. Like ten years later. Hold’s my interest and I’ll be checking on the style of reflector on early brown Altman radial reflectors in the morning personally. The same or different would mean a lot given the volume of not all will have been changed and the 67/68 series still have their Alzak stickers on them. Lots of little details between the three lot numbers beyond items replaced or work done.

Gel frame corners... think that came with the 62' era Altman hammertone brown but not sure. Perhaps a few laters. Only specific date Examples of hammertone brown that I have is the Inkies. The rest I think old and radial could in reality date between say 62 and the 70's or 80's in age. Another thing in detail to study for dating should someone take it on. Not remembering my radial verses axial dates at the moment. Am looking at a lot of different lamp cap styles from say 57' thru 2010 though at the moment, an beyond cord grip mounting, the center lock in focus screw became on center on the cap at some point as with holes changed at some point which I never noticed before. Learning process in more and more noted as I learn.

Working on the last six in lot number first in getting them done. After that the other four fixtures plus "carrot on stick" the Century Leko. Thinking that they were probably made in the 70's by Hub by way of Altman castings and even parts. Far different color than Altman had during the period, but later parts fastening them together. Important also I think in knowing there was the Hub cloan to Altman out there on the market. Very similar and of the time line, only the Hub was earlier in Altman design and don't do gobos. Or were these of another brand say Century that Altman stared making?

Attachments

• Hub Lekos 001.jpg
    Hub Lekos 001.jpg
    156.9 KB · Views: 395
  • Hub Lekos 003.jpg
    Hub Lekos 003.jpg
    135.3 KB · Views: 480
  • Hub Lekos 005.jpg
    Hub Lekos 005.jpg
    161.2 KB · Views: 913
  • Hub Lekos 006.jpg
    Hub Lekos 006.jpg