Conventional Fixtures Lamps for R40 strips

They have stopped making a lot of the R40 lamps, so I would call your local supplier and see what they have available and go from there.

-Tim

No more 150w R40 bulbs? Darn! Another one bites the dust!

You could probably use PAR38 lamps although weight can be an issue. There are some that are done with a light weight envelope. R30 is still all over the place. Smaller globe should not be a problem and some of the newer halogen ones are somewhat competitive with the output of the old R40s.

The R40 was a big old lamp, so there should be a lot of room to play with.

Try Grainger as a source for R40 Lamps. I go to them for many "common" lamps as they carry many med-screw base and MR-16 type lamps for pretty good prices. The last time I was looking I don't think I saw any 150W R40s, but they did have 120W and 300W and I know they had a bunch of BR40s as well. Certainly worth a look.

You could probably use PAR38 lamps although weight can be an issue. There are some that are done with a light weight envelope. .

The ones with the lighter weight envelope are called BR38's and they have the suckiest beam out there. They also come in incandescent only, or at least, if their is a halogen version, it's hard to find.

As for 150w R40's, you best replacement option is a 120w BR40. The true "R" lamp has gone by the wayside in favor of the "BR" lamp, which supposedly captures and directors more light.

Until recently you could still buy PAR 38 lamps in 150W and 250W lamps at Lowes.

I use a 150W halogen lamp - non reflector style - in my strips but they have built in reflectors

You can also get these Lamplite PAR38 150W 120V E27 Screw Base Lamp Clear -  Incandescent Lamps -  Lamps -  Lighting Accessories -  Accessories -  PSSL.com

Yea, those are the ones that I was talking about in my 12/27 post. A lightweight PAR38. Same design but a much thinner glass, which wouldn't matter if used in strip lights.

...are called BR38's and they have the suckiest beam out there. ...
I'd be concerned when using any lamp that has a faceted, patterned, or lensed face when even, shadowless illumination is desired.
Compare a PAR38 to an R40:
20084306545395365.jpgr40fl300_12v.jpg
I'm old-skul, but I don't think one can beat the 300R40/FL for near and 300R40/SP for far throws. If the lamps are being discontinued, perhaps it's time to replace the fixtures, say with Selador or ColorForce?

Last edited:
As long as the dimmers will handle it. Strip lights add up fast. Another way around the beam problem would be to use a frost in the frame.

First question is if the R-40 fixtures have reflectors? If so, they might fit halogen 100w A-19 lamps instead. Next is if they will mount other types of R or PAR lamps.

If so, lots of other lamps on the market including some R-40 versions that are not discontud such as a Bulbrite version of the BR-40. A BR-40 is just as different an animal as a PAR lamp in it.

First the starting question about the fixture - A R-40 fixture or one that has a reflector and or what type of lamp does it fit?

After that the options of other versions. Step back in answer I would ask for.

Thanks for all the ideas so far: I'm sure there's a winner in here. I have set of strips, one for sure has reflectors, the other I'll have to look at this weekend. (I have 4@ 4-circuit and 3@ 3-circuit, which is a whole other annoyance.)

And believe me, I'm ready to move past this technology. These are high on the list to phase out, but will have to get me through for a while.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back