Light/sound booth counter

JLNorthGA

So, we made as nice big set for "Noises Off". This means we have a LOT of leftover plywood.

I am considering making a new counter for the light/sound booth.
The front portion is about 12' W. The current counter is about 28" deep.
One of our techs would like a "wrap around" counter. Sort of a cockpit sort of arrangement.
The general idea would be to have a bit of counter on both sides of the light board. Sort of a "U" shape.
This would give a place for scripts, pads and such at counter level.

The sound guy just wants a deeper counter to accommodate all the cables.

Thoughts? I can bring the counter out on the left side to as much as 48". I wouldn't want the center portion to be quite that deep as it would interfere with the traffic flow in the room.

Check your sight lines first. How far back can you sit and still see over the gear and around the monitors?

Sometimes a raised chair platform is part of the answer.

Monitors aren't really an issue (or problem). I have adequate space for them that isn't really in the sight line. Basically we need a convenient place to place the scripts for plays. The thought behind a "U" shaped counter is to also provide a space for a laptop for the occasions when there isn't another person in the booth to run the sound cues for plays.

We us a "drafting" chair which is a bit higher than a normal office chair for the lighting technician. This also helps for the sight lines (and to see the actors).

Make sure to incorporate grommets into your thinking; these being holes in the counter surface to facilitate running cable under the counter. Good hardware stores will have liners for said holes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back