Control/Dimming Lightronics console with NSI dimmers?

DconBlueZ

I'm TD at a community theatre, inherited a Lightronics system in one venue (a black box) with a TL-5024 using AS40L packs, and the other venue (our main stage) with a NSI MC7024 running DDS6000 series packs.

Both systems are running microplex and work fine on their own.

I can take the NSI console and run the Lightronics dimmers just fine, but when I try to run the NSI dimmers with the Lightronics console, it doesn't work.

The Lightronics console lights up normally, seems to function fine (getting power from the dimmers), but the lights all go to black and stay there no matter what I try.

Found this out the hard way - sent the NSI console in to have several sliders replaced and then tried to use the Lightronics console setting up for a show. Oops!

Also tried making the first pack in the daisy chain a Lightronics pack, then chaining to the NSIs, no help.

At the moment I'm renting an NSI board to get me through the next couple weeks, but would sure like to find a way to make the Lightronics console work with the NSI packs so I'll have a Plan B should the NSI console die in the middle of a run someday...

Talked to a Lightronics factory tech who said in very nice language "tough luck." Told me it was possible a timing issue, nothing can be done.

I'd really appreciate any information or suggestions.

Yeah, I would thing timing. Are there any settings on the NSI dimmers as far as refresh rate or timimg? I'm not terribly familiar with Microplex unfortunately, but I'm sure someone else will be around soon.

Both systems are running microplex...... I thought microplex was pretty much an NSI thing.

I am pretty sure the NSI board can be set up to run straight DMX512, and that the NSI packs can be changed by plugging in a chip. In the long run, you may want to migrate everything over to DMX512. Keeps everything more universal when mixing brands.

I while back there was a thread on lower end dimmers, and ad afew CB'ers rose to recommend of Lightronics

http://www.controlbooth.com/forums/lighting/17188-behringer-ld6230-boat-anchor.html

MikeW mstaylor and Lightman02 all were very positive and possibly you could contact them and see if they can help. They all were talking about Lightronics DIMMERS and not consoles though but again might be able to help

My Opinion has been that Lightronics was a NSI knock off and that some things never were quite right, sadly your post seems to confirm this

As I said, maybe the folks above can offer some suggestions, or further help with Lightronics

I would also say don't accept the polite answer , and escalate the problem at Lightronics, IMO that response sounds like a first level tech support answer that someone at the higher levels of Lightronics might not agree with

Keep pushing, they should make it work, NSI MPX dimmers are pretty common and for Lightronics MPX console not to work with them would be a big problem for Lightronics the DDS6000 are a very common dimmer pack
Sharyn

Just of course check all the "Duh" things, GM, And I see that board has a HM, I think thats a good idea, separate large slider for houselights, but anyways. Make sure everything up blackout etc.
Maybe the board's default is not a 1:1 patch? Try repatching it.

If all fails, do I sort of fail safe, don't use the wireless the TL series comes with, run or connect the wire. And try using normal power instead of Microplex.

I am familiar with Lightronics but not NSI. Try calling Light Action in Wilmington. They may not be able to help you but they are owned by the same company as Lightronics so they may have run into the problem. Ask for Leslie.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back