Looking for a new console for high school

Les,

The etc element looks great! I will research many though.

As of now, I think they won't even consider a new one as they are getting a "new" one for the new high school in 3 to 4 years. I want to be able to learn on a good console because I think I want to go to college and become a lighting designer. This old board is inhibiting my learning and I don't know what to do if they won't even consider buying a new one.

Should I look at software options, try to push the new board, or just give up entirely?

I don't know what to do, as they won't see a need for a new board for the school that becomes a middle school in 4 years. I REALLY want to have experience on working on a newer board but I am afraid I won't be able to. Any ideas? Thank you les and everyone else!
Posted via Mobile Device

Well, if your seriously worried about not using a board before college, consider this. I was completely uninvolved in theater in High school. I came to college, and within 2 years, was fairly good at programing on both Congo and Ion systems, passably good with the Innovator systems, and am the theater department's Head Electrician. The point of that is that you probably dont need tons of experience in HS in order to become a lighting designer. That said, any better console will help you a lot, and any memory console at all will help you a ton, knowing how to program and talk to a board is a pretty steep learning curve. I would bring it up to the administration, and if you dont get anywhere, understand that when you go to college, you will probably be at a place with a bigger budget, and opportunities to do all kinds of things in lighting design that you simply cant do in high school. Basically, all that to say, dont worry that having a poor HS console will ruin your ability to do technical theater/design in college.

Thanks for the great advice!

I will try to bring it up to them, as it is hard running the shows with the board we have now. And you are right, any memory console will help us so much as the cues can be programmed into it. The shows I do usually have 100+ cues and the lighting is being done all manually which is tough for me, but I get by. Hopefully, they can see the need to purchase something more up to date and something that will help even those after me. Even if it is becoming a middle school, I still think having a more up to date memory board would be very beneficial. But, I really don't know what they will say. I think they won't want to purchase it because that school is becoming a middle school and while they do their own productions, they still may want to keep the old 2 scene preset that's there now.

Thanks for the help, it is much appreciated.
Posted via Mobile Device

Furthering what shiben said...
... This old board is inhibiting my learning ...
Hogwash! The console is only a tool. I learned on auto-transformer and resistance dimmers before, during, and after college; as well as then state-of-the-art memory consoles and two-scene presets both during and after. Learning lighting design has little to do with how the control console works, and is even less important to the professional theatre LD, who will likely never touch the board or even see it as he needn't ever enter the booth.

Some difficult truths: Even if the school board approves the funds, it could take up to a year for the specification, bidding and delivery and install process. You'll have a much better chance of success if the request comes from a teacher or administrator rather than a student. See this thread, from a student in a similar situation to yours: Picking out a new light board. And buy and read the book: Designing with Light, by J. Michael Gillette, (any edition).

... I REALLY want to have experience on working on a newer board but I am afraid I won't be able to. Any ideas? ...
Did you tell us what city and state you're in? Is there a community theatre where you could volunteer, or a professional theatre where you could intern?

Last edited by a moderator:
I am in cental nj (monroe twp) and the community theaters prefer to use the lighting people that have worked with them for 5 to 10 years instead of letting new people try.

I will look into that book and keep reading threads on here.

Thanks!
Posted via Mobile Device

I am in cental nj (monroe twp) and the community theaters prefer to use the lighting people that have worked with them for 5 to 10 years instead of letting new people try.

I will look into that book and keep reading threads on here.

Thanks!
Posted via Mobile Device

I understand that they might be a little hesitant to put a first time volunteer on lighting (not knowing how experienced or reliable you are) but you could start out doing backstage work, running crew, set construction, usher, or anything. Get yourself in that theatre and start a [good] reputation! Community Theatres are an excellent resource, and are usually more like the "real world" than any high school.

Edit: Also, find out their production schedule and stay informed on who is working on lighting. In community theatres, it will usually be a small group of people who alternate shows because us lighting designers are uncommon, especially the ones who work for free. Get to know those people, and offer to help them cut gels, focus instruments, clean instruments, enter channel numbers to the board, etc. Be their shadow and learn everything you can.

Last edited:
I would love to do that at a community theater. I do all that stuff at my high school for the community events, I cut gels, take tickets, help with refreshments, etc. And I always help set up the sound and lighting equipment for every show.

I really want to show my school that a new board or a software option is a great idea-even if the school is becoming the middle school. I just want it to be a bit easier in running a show as I have to do it all manually now. I have learned a lot from the manual board, but I really think a new one would benefit me and everyone after. Thanks!
Posted via Mobile Device

A newoard would make it easier for you, maybe not benefit you. I used autotransformer dimmers in school and never saw a two scene board until I joined the local community theatre. That board is still in service in the same high school. In the same time frame another school in the same town is on it's fourth board. They have an Expession right now and have had nothing but trouble.
The point is you can do some really nice designs on a two scene and run it manually, just a pain. The memory boards are nice to make it easier but certainly not necessary.

OK, I understand what you are saying.

I am able to create very nice looks with the current board but running a show with 100+ cues is very tough because of all the manual work.

I was just thinking that a new board would be something more up to date and better for those who will be doing lighting after me.

But still, I dont know. I could just look for a software that can work on my laptop and with the board and just use it to make my life easier with the manual cues and all. But, I really dont know what to do, but I REALLY appreciate all the advice I have been give.

thanks!

I wouldn't recommend an Innovator, I've used a 600 for 2 years now and I can tell you that although it does the job, it's filled with software issues and other problems. Your best bet would be to go with the Element, it's cheaper than most Innovator consoles, and is easy and efficient. (If i'm lucky, we'll be replacing our Innovator within the year with an Element. We just need to find one...)

Chris, I have been looking at the element and it seems to have everything we would need, especially since this would be turning into the middle school.

I would love to mention this to them, but I really think they are going to say they wont purchase one because it will be becoming the middle school.

I figured I would say stuff like, that a newer console provides more features and easier controls for running a show, it will benefit not just me but everyone after me, that it will replace the problems that we have with the current board, etc.

I dont know what I am going to do, I really think they wont want to buy one but I guess I could try mentioning it atleast right? The superintendent of schools is really into theater, he writes and directs some of his own plays, and I would be talking to him and others about this. But, still with his background and interest in theater, I dont know if it would be considered at all.

It is silly not to take action because you are afraid that the outcome wont be what you want. If you just sit silent you are guaranteed that nothing will happen. However, if you make a case, then something might happen. You need to have support, so you need the drama department head on your side, and you probably need some support from parents as well. Write up a well organized and thought out proposal detailing why the school should purchase a console, and go from there.

I will try to write up a proposal after getting some support.

Any thing that I should def. include in the proposal when I mention why I think they should purchase a new school? That is what I would need help with, thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back