Missed Cue Calls

GoboMan

What is the protocol for a light and/or sound board operator when the stage manager happens to miss a call that you know should be there? If you have run the same show over and over again, you start to memorize where all the cues are. If the stage manager misses a call that you know should be there, do you push "GO" anyway or wait for the stage manager to make the call?

If you take the call on your own, you keep the show running correctly, but at the same time you are not respecting the stage manager's superiority. If you know the call was missed and decide to wait until the SM catches it, then the show is off cue and it could confuse the performers.

What is the right thing to do?

In theory you don't push the button unless you're told too.

In actuallity it depends on a whole mess of variables, how critical is the cue? Whats your relationship with the SM? Are the actors waiting on stage for a blackout/phone to ring/doorbell?

In the pro world you dont take the cue your job as a board op is to push go when told. End of story, now this varies out of theater but i find it helps the chain of command.

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Tapatalk HD

Whenever I serve stage-management roles I thank technicians hugely for thinking on their feet. At the same time, if I give an "order" specifically I expect it will be followed.

For example, if I was just totally silent or the board op could tell I was dealing with a situation over headset, I would greatly appreciate the ability to make assumptions.

However, (and this has happened to me), giving an order and hearing "No, it doesn't go there!" or saying "Standby..." and having the technician go anyway is really not ok. Of course, mistakes happen all over the board, (no pun intended), but that is the ideal order of things.

I wrote it in first person because it was easiest, but I am sure I am not alone in my feelings!

As has been mentioned thus far, this would depend on many variables as to whether or not you would take the cue on your own. What it really boils down to is there is no definitive all across the board answer as it would depend entirely on the situation, and even then it may be hard to determine as the Stage Manager may know something that you don't and that is why they didn't call your cue. Hopefully by the point that the show opens for an audience the SM knows the show well enough not to miss a cue but remember, we're all human and we all make mistakes. ;)

For me personally when I am running a board for a show, whether it be in a professional or academic setting, I will not press "Go" unless told to do so. One reason is simply because the Stage Manager understands the whole picture of where all the cues for all the operators go and I may or may not have that knowledge.

If this is indeed an issue that has come up with your show, and this may not even be a bad idea to do before working a show, have a chat with the Stage Manager to see how they feel about it. Should you take a cue if it isn't called or should you wait for the Stage Manager to cal it? I'm sure every Stage Manager out there has a different opinion on it.

I would suggest asking your stage manager what they would prefer. I try to tell my ops which cues I'm ok with them taking as a visual and which they need to wait for me (ones that need to be simultaneous between departments or that there is a reason I could be holding it). Honestly, I always try to be ready to call every single cue, but I will often tell my board ops to take certain cues as visuals (I do give a standby and reminder that they are visuals), this frees me up to deal with problems that may arise and to focus on the cues that actually need calling (does the sound guy really need to be told to play the buzzer when the actor pushes the door bell?).

There are some very high level professional shows that the stage managers do not call some or all of the lighting/sound cues (the operators know their cues).

As sound I always try to take my own cues so I can focus on the mix and never be on a headset. I have had Lx ops who will fly solo when the SM needs to attend to other issues during shows, and Lx ops who will purposefully not take cues when the SM isn't calling them to teach the SM a lesson (just saying what I've seen from experience, but when an SM is missing between 40% and 60% of their cues the Lx department not taking cues is probably the first way that management will see there is an issue).

What is the protocol for a light and/or sound board operator when the stage manager happens to miss a call that you know should be there? If you have run the same show over and over again, you start to memorize where all the cues are. If the stage manager misses a call that you know should be there, do you push "GO" anyway or wait for the stage manager to make the call?

If you take the call on your own, you keep the show running correctly, but at the same time you are not respecting the stage manager's superiority. If you know the call was missed and decide to wait until the SM catches it, then the show is off cue and it could confuse the performers.

What is the right thing to do?

In our theatre the operator never does their cue unless the SM team have called "Go", if they do, they usually get moaned at (not by me)!
We only ever do a weeks run of normal shows and about 6 weeks of Pantomime at Christmas.
We have had people run their own cues when missed on Panto though...

Generally though, the SM team/cue caller should be competent enough not to miss any/many cues.

I am a high school SM. I miss cues sometimes because I'm still learning my craft. (Staring at a book until the bars are there is surprisingly hard.) If I miss a cue, and one of my techs picks up my slack, I thank them! They saved the show to a degree. But if I give an order (I.E. A standby, or a no-go on a cue (actors, you see... they screw up sometimes...) and a board op goes before my cue, there will be a terse reminder to wait for my go. No more mention of it than that though. What happens in the past stays in my prompt book, to be used at my discretion.

Really it might depend on your SM? Maybe asking them what they want you to do is a good idea. Also, were you following along in your own book?

EDIT: If you have a question about the way a show is running, asking the SM is the first thing you should do. If you're worried that the SM is going to miss a cue again, it's totally reasonable to talk to him/her about it.

Last edited:
For me, it depends on the cue. If it's a cue coming out of a blackout, for example, where the board op doesn't know what's going on, we'll wait for the SM no matter what. If it's a sight cue in the middle of a scene, the SM is almost more of a safety net. My board op has a script and will take the cue where it belongs no matter what.

I have to disagree that an SM is a safety net in cue calling. They know the show better than anyone else. Your board op won't die of a heart attack if a cue goes .2 seconds before or after he/she wanted it to. The SM will.

I have to disagree that an SM is a safety net in cue calling. They know the show better than anyone else. Your board op won't die of a heart attack if a cue goes .2 seconds before or after he/she wanted it to. The SM will.

LOL No, the board op may not die of a heart attack, but I will if the cue isn't on time! :) And my poor board op is the guy who hears about it! As for knowing the show, if it's a show where board ops come and go, you're totally correct. But I always have someone I totally trust on the board for the entire run of the show - and as far as lighting goes, that guy knows the show FAR better than the SM does. For better or worse, that's just how we've always worked.

LOL No, the board op may not die of a heart attack, but I will if the cue isn't on time! :) And my poor board op is the guy who hears about it! As for knowing the show, if it's a show where board ops come and go, you're totally correct. But I always have someone I totally trust on the board for the entire run of the show - and as far as lighting goes, that guy knows the show FAR better than the SM does. For better or worse, that's just how we've always worked.
I can't see how that's possible. Your board op hasn't been with the show since pre-production! Your op doesn't hear the slight changes in the speed of an actor's speech from show to show that sometimes cause me to call long fading cues early or late. Maybe your op knows the exact perimeters of your hang and patch better than the SM, but the show as a whole? Not a chance.

Maybe your op knows the exact perimeters of your hang and patch better than the SM, but the show as a whole? Not a chance.

For whatever reason, my op DOES know what I want a lot more than the SM does. So having the op take sight cues where he KNOWS they belong just works for us.

Oh, I have worked with the occasional tyrannical SM that insists their call is right, even if it's wrong. But they soon learn not to interfere! :)

If all these SMs are truly that bad, well... That sucks! I'm sorry! However, it is the SMs job to meld the designs of the production team into one show, and sometimes that definitely requires altering a couple cues, according to the wishes of all directors and designers involved.

OK, when you start talking about the SM altering cues (any cues) on his own, I have to flat-out disagree with you. I can certainly see how there could be timing conflicts or whatever. But IMHO the SM needs to bring that to the attention of the designers and / or directors who will decide how to best re-cue things. You're absolutely correct when you said according to the wishes of the directors and designers. And as the designer, the re-cueing goes directly to my board op who now also knows exactly what to do.

The way my board ops and I work may not be everyone's cup of tea, as they say, but it has worked for us for many years.

I do have to point out that the board ops I'm referring to are a very small group that I've done countless shows with over the years. We quite literally know how each other thinks.

Yeah, an SM should really never make an artistic decision independently. artistic descisions aren't our job! I mean, maybe your setup does work for you, but the person you trust to cue at the right time should be the SM. It's a shame that that isn't the case. What works works I suppose.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back