Protocol for flying pipes when flymans view is obstructed

LavaASU

So I've done this sort of setup where the flyman cannot see all or part of the pipe being flown several times. I've always used a spotter positioned where they can see the entire pipe (or multiple spotters if necessary). I'm being questioned on the necessity of a spotter on some moves (in show and rehearsal) on grounds of theres nothing close enough to catch and no one directly under. My opinion is anything can happen (cable tie-off slip, mechanical issue with the fly system, or an actor is in the wrong place.) so there ALWAYS needs to be someone with an eye on the pipe ready to call a stop. Am I being silly over this? Whats your protocol for when they flyman cannot see the pipe/goods?

Somebody needs to be able to see the pipe and whatever is on it. If being able to tell the flyman to stop isn't practical, the spotter has to be able to keep all persons/objects from getting into the path of the moving lineset and whatever is on it. I've done both, and in my whole life I've only ever buried 6 dancers (at once no less) with a soft leg. So to answer the questioners: YEP! It's necessary.

Depends on outside of show or if in show. If its during the show your SM should be watching out for that kind of thing. If outside of the show (build/strike) there should be another tech watching as the pipe comes in and out with direct communication to the flyman

Rule of three: If you can't see what you're flying, where you're flying it from, or where you're flying it to, don't fly it. If you need to, designate a spotter. In an automated system, each spotter should have access to an E-stop.

It's one more reason why theater is considered a team sport.

The only real issue is flying linesets in a total blackout. I clubbed a ASM in the head and shoulder with a giant steel portal in a blackout. She wasn't supposed to be there (picking up a dropped costume piece) and thankfully she wasn't seriously injured, but since we lack IR video monitors there wasn't much that could have been done to avoid it in the moment

Working in a large theater which everything is on an automation system (over 100 axis), during show conditions operators (flymen) usually can not see any of the objects they are moving. During maintenance, simple rehearsals, or a change in standard show running an announcement is made over the PA before any large object moves, unless there is a SM or rigger nearby on headset. During show conditions there can be more than 30 objects moving at the same time some moving at 15 feet/sec, riggers and SM can not watch all so lifts have safety bumpers that stop motion if traverse is blocked. Also there are many cameras and monitors at the flyman stations. Still there are many things which can not be monitored due to the quantity. There are signs placed around the theater that "any object can move at any time without warning" and needs to be taken seriously. If an object moves in its normal show situation, and you are in the way, you better hope someone might be watching and see that you are somewhere you shouldn't be, and will be disciplined for later. Our security is pretty tight backstage.

Sadly unless the stage is empty you can't guarantee that somebody or something won't end up underneath it. It only takes somebody dropping their maglite and it rolling under a piece of moving scenery to cause a danger, or somebody non-technical who truth-be-told shouldn't really be on the stage wandering somewhere they didn't know was dangerous. You'd like to think these things don't happen because we're better than that but they do.

My personal stance on flys during total black out is that each one should be individually risk assessed and precautions relevant to the individual circumstance taken. The risks created by moving something which you can't see have to be mitigated by introducing something else.

Spotter... Definitely NOT being silly insisting!

I've been in I.A. for 25 years and have been a flyman...

And yes I've seen flies "In Show" that have been well rehearsed with spotters
and everyone aware of whats going on around them
and a Stage Manager and an Assistant stage manager and every other technician onstage
watching for anything out of the ordinary...Done Blind...
But that is a very special, professional circumstance...

Always safety first and remember that first step down can start a slow decline towards disaster....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back