Soldering Connectors

OH MAN! I just soldered 20 some connectors yesterday and did this 3 times (it was a bad day). To top it off they were 5 pin DMX connectors, so it was more tedious than an XLR .

~Dave

I am happy and disappointed to say, i work too slowly on soldering to forget... lol. it ends up to about the time i track down solder and the iron that i remember to look at what I'm doing.

I do it once each time I assemble connectors :)

After that once, I hit my myself hard enough that I remember not to make the same mistake again.

I've done that a few times... luckily when I'm building cable, I can forget once, then just put them both on at the same time :p

Dave, I'm disappointed in you--you know that a "5 pin DMX connector" IS an XLR.:naughty:

Gee, I've never forgotten to put the back shell on the cable before soldering.:liar:

You know Derek, I debated with how to phrase that so the younger folks might understand I was referring to a mic connector, and it did pop into my head that you would call me on this. You keep us all honest.

~Dave

I have done this dang near a million times. I HATE it. I almost always forget it. I think I'm gonna like design one that can be put on after the connection is made. Not sure how that's gonna work out for me.

I have done this dang near a million times. I HATE it. I almost always forget it. I think I'm gonna like design one that can be put on after the connection is made. Not sure how that's gonna work out for me.

I think someone already beat you to it, I found a connector sheath that had a hing on one side (it was basically cut down the middle) and a little plastic clip on the other. the plastic clip could only be undone with a mini flat head screwdriver.

I've had this experience before.... but since I don't do cables as much, it doesn't annoy me as much as when I get a 200 foot mic cable tied to one end of a batten, run across the length of the batten, run up to the loading rail, run through the catwalk, and down to the mixer - only to find out it was the wrong end and all the gender changers were missing. D'oh!

I always open all my connector packages, sort the parts, and put the boots on all the cables I'm soldering before I start anything else. Ever since I started doing it this way, I haven't forgotten one.

I've had this experience before.... but since I don't do cables as much, it doesn't annoy me as much as when I get a 200 foot mic cable tied to one end of a batten, run across the length of the batten, run up to the loading rail, run through the catwalk, and down to the mixer - only to find out it was the wrong end and all the gender changers were missing. D'oh!

And this is why either

A: invest in enough gender benders that you will never run out
or
B: make someone else deal with the noise aspects (giggles in glee at having subordinates)

I've done that a few times... luckily when I'm building cable, I can forget once, then just put them both on at the same time :p

Unless your putting connectors on a 27-pair cable (each pair consisting of two insulated wires surrounded by a braided shield) that's been run through conduit from the stage to the booth at the back of the amphitheater... :whistle:

My fav is the old 10 pin jones connector, during summer stock someone crushed one connector in a 5 cable bundle. I had just finished when I found that I had NOT put the cover on first and I couldnt slide it on as it was a 250' bundle.
You would think one would learn, but it has happened many times...as a matter of fact, last fall while replacing all the 1/4" jacks to xlr for our new sound board I was in such a groove, I put 6 of the wrong sex ends on for the aux outs... and forgot to take a cover off...:oops:

Will I never learn...:neutral:
Sean...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back