Sound-to-light problem

pmcadams

hi all,
a project with a band i have coming up requires that everytime the kick drum is hit, a light will come on.
i'm using an avo pearl 2004 and the light could be anything from an atomic 3000 to a simple par 64.
any ideas on the best way to do this?

thanks!

Not to be insulting, but a kick drum is a very nice, mechanical device. You could put a spring loaded switch in the kick assembly and wire directly to said light.

Assuming that isn't of interest, you are only interested in the kick? Are you willing to put a contact closure in the pedal?

Tim.

I agree with tim on this one. Unless you are willing to sit there and bump every time the kick goes, which would be a pain in the tail, a switch in the pedal is going to be the best bet. Im sure there are more complicated, sound based solutions (like, you could figure out a way to fire a midi signal whenever the kick mic goes above a specific level), but a basic switch is going to be simple, pretty much foolproof, and you could probably do it for pretty cheap.

thanks for the help.
i figured that would be the best way but since it's a one-off show and budget is small i was hoping some sort of sound-to-light solution on the desk was possible.

I don't know how common the feature is, but I have encountered at least one lighting (Strand MX, fairly old) console with an audio input. Anytime the audio exceeds a set threshold, it triggers a lighting action. Such a console could be connected to the audio console direct output of a mic on the kick drum.

A Honeywell Microswitch on the kick peddle could work, but it would need to control a solid state relay to handle the lighting load without burning up. Switching on tungsten lamps is not easy duty for any mechanical switch.

If you don't mind using DJ sort of stuff American DJ Elation had/has a unit called the co pilot that can be sound activated. You can look on ebay or craig's list them usually turn up being sold by someone moving to a dmx control system

not the most elegant but would work
you could also check with dj's or clubs that had cheap light setups in your area someone probably has one sitting in a box unused that they would lend or give you

Sharyn

What will the light be lighting? If is lighting the kick or the drum kit or something in that general area, one of the cheap LED Par units for $100.00 or so that has the audio/color change feature.... very simple. Can also be controlled with DMX.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back