Control/Dimming Submasters for Color Mixing on LED's. EOS Famiy

TheTheaterGeek

EOS Addict
Premium Member
Fight Leukemia
I was wondering if there was a way to color mix on LED RGBA Selecon fixtures, using submasters the same as one would do on a conventional cyc setup. Im on an ETC Ion Running latest software.

I was wondering if there was a way to color mix on LED RGBA Selecon fixtures, using submasters the same as one would do on a conventional cyc setup. Im on an ETC Ion Running latest software.

One method would be to selectively store just color to the sub. So set the fixture to the desired color using the Color Picker, or Hue/Saturation encoders.

I then use the minus "-" button, then Shift and Custom (which filters out intensity), then Record Sub XX Enter.

I think SteveB's got the right idea, depending on what you want to do. If you take the Intensity data out of the sub them you can store specific color combinations in specific subs.

If you're looking to mix Red, Green, Blue, and Amber directly on the subs, you would want to do a slightly different set of keystrokes. You can record the individual color parameters either using the values in the CIA or holding Shift and pressing one of the encoders. So, for example, if you set the Red on the fixtures to 100%, you could then do [Chan] [1] [Thru] [XX] [Red] [Record] [YY] [Enter].

A similar thing would give you control over Blue, Green, and Amber. Then you'd have a 4-color mix on the faders. You'd still need to set the fixtures' intensity to Full (or other) separately, either with another sub, the command line, or a cue.

If you want each submaster to also control intensity, which would let you mix the colors live just like you would with, say, a conventional striplight, then you can record your submasters in blind. When you set your LEDs to a particular color and record that sub in live, all of the parameters that are at zero get explicitly recorded. When you do so in Blind, only the ones you actually give values to get recorded.

So [Blind] [1] [enter] [Chan] [1] [at] [full] [enter]
Then pick your color on the color picker.

Record reds in sub 1, greens in sub 2, etc. Then when you bring up Sub 1 and Sub 2 you'll get amber, and you can mix it live.

You can also do this live.

Set the color and intensity.

Then "-", Shift and hold shift while pressing the Focus, then Form then Image, Record, Sub, XX, Enter".

Using the minus button with the shift plus parameters acts as filters in the record process.

One thing about LEDS-- that isn't always clear at the start. By default, in an LED all values are at full. Because of this, you can't easily mix color--the subs don't take priority over the fixture if the value is already full. The easiest way to fix this is to build a home preset for the fixtures that have RGBWA at 0, and then your color is additive/controllable via subs. Note that by doing this, turning the light on (CH 10 @ FL) will not do anything until you pick a color, because there are no LED values on.

Edit: Another option might be to put RGBWA on inhib subs, and mix the colors that way instead.... Would avoid the home preset, but probably be more complicated mentally.

...but probably be more complicated mentally.

Not really. I found having single LED color channels on inhib. subs particulary helpful when busking colors. You have to avoid turning LED values off, though. Having a brief look into the manual, you could shield the subs to prevent that (this has to be confirmed by someone who actually used that function, I haven`t sat in front of ION for a while).

Not really. I found having single LED color channels on inhib. subs particulary helpful when busking colors. You have to avoid turning LED values off, though. Having a brief look into the manual, you could shield the subs to prevent that (this has to be confirmed by someone who actually used that function, I haven`t sat in front of ION for a while).

You can set a sub to have the intensity at full, then set to shielded. That will remove all other control (except Park) for those channels, including manual, GM and BO.

Have to try the inhibit trick.

Had the chance to try this out. Fixture defaults in profile set to 0 for rgbw. Intensity+color on sub, works like a charm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So... I'm trying to do the same thing, but having a no luck.

I can record just the color I want, but all the other colors are defaulting to 100...
Should I be using a different fixture type that defaults to 0?

I'm still rather new to this... So I could just be dumb.

Yes. There are always several ways to do things in well developed software.

Making a new fixture type or setting up a 'home preset' are both fairly simple ways to default to black. I prefer the home preset as improvements to the fixture profile won't upset it. The defaults or home or 'background' values come through whenever nothing else (cue/ tracking, sub, manual, etc.) is controlling that setting. Note that 'About' a channel can tell you where a current level is set.

Remember that there is huge difference between setting something to zero and 'nothing' (a blank). Double check the subs for zeros.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back