Switched XLR socket - does it exist?

Chris15

CBMod
CB Mods
Premium Member
Departed Member
Does anyone know if any reputable manufacturer makes a panel mount XLR (3pin) with some kind of switching functionality?

The application is an installed AV system where upon plugging in an external mixer, the set and forget basic setup is bypassed...

Let's take some time to think of the many reasons why an adapter would be undesirable in this application.

Your going to just have to say it, because the only thing I can think of is because, according to JohnHartman, the correct configuration is available on request.

You can think all you like, as the client as well as the installer in this equation, an adapter ain't happening. I will rig a photo diode across the front of the wall plate before I will have an adapter needed...

I suspect Neutrik's "on request" is code to say we can make if you want to buy 1000 at a time...

Does anyone know if any reputable manufacturer makes a panel mount XLR (3pin) with some kind of switching functionality?

The application is an installed AV system where upon plugging in an external mixer, the set and forget basic setup is bypassed...
Chris, could the two coexist as two inputs into a simple summing network? Do you have a matrix DSP or similar that could be used to reroute inputs? Could it be a TRS jack rather than an XLR? I know you want to avoid adapters, but would a 3 pin to 5 pin cable with the two extra pins jumpered to trigger a switch be possible, I often use this general approach to identify the lectern location when I have multiple locations for a portable lectern? Or even a simple toggle switch on the plate itself?

Just so we're clear, I'm perfectly able to create a complicated solution but I don't want to. I want simple, and something that will survive a user of the lowest common denominator...

The switch is proposed to be an input to Crestron, need I say more ;)

Just so we're clear, I'm perfectly able to create a complicated solution but I don't want to. I want simple, and something that will survive a user of the lowest common denominator...

The switch is proposed to be an input to Crestron, need I say more ;)
I guess I misunderstood, it sounds like you are looking for a receptacle that will provide a contact closure when a connector is inserted when I thought you might be looking for something that physically breaks the 'normal' path and takes the signal from the inserted connector when you insert a connector, something like this, NJ6FD-V - Neutrik.

I've always handled 'operating mode' switching via additional contacts on the connectors or most often via dedicated switches.

So let me paint a slightly broader picture...
I'm setting up a meeting room in an NFP context.
In it's normal state it will be setup to deal with sound from laptops, BluRay, etc.
What we also want to provision for is to be able to plug an external mixer in (from our portable system to be bought still) and when that's connected, it feeds the amp and speakers in the room.

So it needs to be something that is dead simple for a volunteer who visits the building once or twice a year to get working. I'm not interested in getting a phone call every week for someone who either can't find the switch to enable the external mixer or find the switch when the other guy forgot to switch it back.

Hence I wanted a simple, if it's plugged in, it's switched through, if it's unplugged it's not.
There will likely to some functionality setup in Crestron land to lock out local control and override everything when one or 2 "power users" are in the building and stretching the system to its limits and beyond.

Yes I could very well just wire the inputs with 5 or 6 pin XLRs and short contacts for switching, but I can see those special cables getting lost amongst the general purpose XLR3 cables in the portable system or at any rate, the room also has operable walls and so I need to be able to run a line in from another room twice a year and I don't want to deal with special cabling there either.
There are numerous advantages to having a stock standard XLR3 as the input...

The Neutrik 1/4" jacks I linked would seem to do what you want and 1/4" TRS cables are pretty standard, unfortunately they don't seem to offer those connectors in locking versions so I can see that being a potential concern.

It sounds like the portable system is self contained other than the speaker system, so would having the house system outputs and the connections for a portable mixer wired to summing circuits where both system are always available be an option? Unless you are concerned with physically cutting of the audio from the installed system that would seem to be pretty foolproof even if somone left the portable system or cables connected.

Sort of 'out of the boxc' but how about an audio sensing relay that senses audio on the portable system inputs and tells the Crestron system to switch to that mode with the Crestron logic then keeping the system in that mode for a set period of time or until reset to a different mode? That way the switch to the portable system would be automatic whenever the portable system is used but the room could automatically revert to 'normal' mode if the portable system is not used for some period.

Not sure if this will work, but its what we've resorted to for our school cafeteria. Wall input has a mic input and line input clearly labeled. We use one of these for the input challenged who use the room.

podMIX - Catalog - Whirlwind

Mount it on a little cart and label the out put to match the wall input. We do this so I don't have to be around for every event.

It works for us.

Good Luck,

Phil

If there is already a mixer built in to handle day to day stuff, couldn't you just install a normal xlr jack that runs back to a line level input on the mixer. then as long as the plug is clearly labeled "external mixer input" nobody will mess with it and there will be no need for a switch. It would be dead simple to take the main out from the mixer and plug it in. Also when you have the external mixer hooked up why do you have to disable the built in sound? In the situation I described you would essentially when you had the external mixer plugged in be adding extra controllable inputs to your system an the others such as the ones for computers that you talked about would remain operable.

Or Maybe I haven't quite understood what you are looking for.

Not to be rude, but guys I asked if there was an XLR socket with a switch inbuilt, not for solutions to my system design.

There are various reasons why I want to implement things the way I do and many of them will be over the heads of the majority of the readership...

Chris not to be rude, but you are going about this in a very backwards way, The crestron systems can handle "sensing" of an input, keeping the channel muted until it gets a signal (above a certain DB in case you're worried about noise) it can then switch to that input alone. You can also set an attack time to determine how long the signal has to be above a certain DB to activate the digital switch, and a release time to tell the sytem how long before it should let normal operation continue. I really think you should rethink your system design. Its counter productive to work without a system that is already going to be put in place.

As a designer, I have certain "signature" elements to the way that I construct a design, and that's part of what makes me different to every other person on the planet - any system is going to have some hallmarks of the way the designer thinks embedded into it...

So yes I can do things like signal level detection, but frankly I don't want to.
I want something that's simple, mechanical and most importantly reliable.

One of the design options looking likely is that I'll be using Apart Audio SDQ-5PIR speakers which have 2 inputs, one of which will connect to the AV system and the other will connect directly to the line input XLRs.
I need to tell Crestron when something is plugged in so it can issue the relevant RS232 for the SDQs to change inputs.

There is no Crestron gear in the audio chain at that point nor do I want any extra gear to be in that chain. A mechanical switch that when it goes connected sends a signal high in Cres which then triggers an RS232 command and triggers another command upon removal is trivially simple to implement.
KISS Principle applies here...

... I will rig a photo diode across the front of the wall plate before I will have an adapter needed ...
Actually, not a horrible idea. (Perhaps use a micro-switch rather than a photo diode, however.)

I once did a show where the boat wouldn't move if the propane fill door on the dock was open. The assumption being that if the door was open, the propane hose might be connected, and would be ripped apart if the boat sailed away from the dock. Now perhaps a propane flow sensor would have been more precise, but the hose could still have been connected with no flow. Draw your own audio analogies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back