Temporary Wire Lock

SanTai

I am looking for a product which I do not know if it exists. I would love to have a wire lock that works something like a rope lock. I am thinking Gri-Gri, Croll or something similar, but for a thin wire.

I need it for wires that are about 1mm in diameter.

Does something like this exist?

We use thin wires for wire rockets(small rockets follow the wire from one end to the other.(
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
)). Since we use them for this purpose we can not connect to shorter wires to make a longer.

If this kind of product would exist it would make one-offs a lot easier.

Most people use small diameter steel wire rope for those kinds of effects. It's safer and there's quite a variety of hardware available. Usually whoever sells you the wire rope is the best person to talk to about what will fit your needs.

Perhaps I was unclear in my original post. We use steel wire. I am locking for lock for the steel wire. Our supplier does not have any locks for locking the wire only temporary, I was not even sure such a product existed, just wanted one.

Tanks for the tip. I have to check those out. They look a bit strange but hopefully they will work for us.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In that case the Verlocks look pretty similar to what I've used in the past.

Another website selling a similar product is:
http://www.tecni-cable.co.uk/

Obviously look at the Safe Working Load for these devices as they are pretty low when you get down the the 1mm range and make sure that your effect won't exert more force on the termination than it's rated for.

If you google "steel wire rope terminations" the images that come up show several different methods to achieve what you're looking for and a lot link back to websites trying to sell those devices.

Cannot rember exactly what they are called but I have seen "cleats" that have a bit of extra grip and spring specifically for steel cable. Check sailing stores. http://www.p2marine.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=4065&gclid=CMT_ibftq8ACFQQT7AodGTUAOw

that cam cleat is not designed for steel wire. I don't think any marine cam cleat is.

rosebrand sells the german made Griplock by Reutlinger. check out the pdf

proxy.php

Last edited:
Thanks for all the suggestions.
I have started to look into the diffrent kind of terminations. Verlock and the griplock looks promising. The one thing that is hard to find out about some terminations is how aggresive they are to the wire. How many times you can use it before you have to trash the wire. That is why I do not want to make a loop and lock the wire with a standard lock

I'm going to get flack for this... but... circus knot?

How are you currently terminating the wire?

What is a circus knot?
We don't(in this fashion). New wire with only one set length and if it is not perfect, adjust at the mounting, but the wire is at a set length.

I've used terminations similar to the Verlock many times on the same cable. Assuming all other factors to be acceptably safe, unless the linked product is vastly different from what I've used before I'd be comfortable using them in situations where the wire length is constantly being adjusted.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back