The Rider Rant

But again there is the point. The Iggy Rider and the VanHalen one have a definitive point to them that actually is centered around professionalism and making the gig work. I doubt they come into a venue and just brazenly say, "Oh the Rider is wrong, I know we came breezing in at 1 PM for a 7PM show, but you do really need to move all of the platforming, mic setup, and refocus lighting because our paperwork is crap. So no dinner break for you. Sorry. Where is the catering?" Next time I'm Advancing shows completely different. Not going to get burned again.

Perfect example of an "up to date rider" No fricking way people are actually Requesting carbon arc spots these days.

"Management sent out the 2014 rider...oh wait that was 1974, oops. Those 7's look like 1's sometimes."

No one is requesting them but it lists xeon or carbon arcs. If carbon arcs are all the venue has it us best to have enough rods for them.

Coming from the touring side of the rider debate, there are some production managers that I have worked for that aren't great at advancing. They are great at shoe horning 13 trucks into a venue that thinks 6 trucks is a big show. It is frustrating to watch the rigger rechalk the floor in the morning but some people need to see it layed out to figure out how to cram it all in the building.

No one is requesting them but it lists xeon or carbon arcs.

Yes, a LIST of acceptable equipment, REQUESTED by the tour. Listing IS requesting. Same thing. No it is not just friendly maintenance advice, just in case that is what you have.
You don't put things on you rider that you don't want.

Example, I just made it up, but holds true in may cases: FOH PA Listed in order of preference:
K1, or K2
NEXO GeoT
D&B J
NEXO Alpha
EV X-array

****JBL VERTEC IS NOT AN ACCEPTABLE SUBSTITUTE FOR A PA SYSTEM!***

Super Troupers went to xenon in the 80's; carbon arcs were quickly replaced. By the 90's there were some lingering in venues, but now we are taking 30 years after the tech was made obsolete.

Having dealt with all sorts of crazy riders and being the one who has to negotiate from the venue end riders are only as written in stone as the PM is insisting. If the artist absolutely has to have a certain item or the show can't go on, then they should tour with it. I am in the middle of nowhere, most time the backline comes from the music department or my house. If you can't play your guitar through a Deluxe, Twin or Musicman bring your own. But I have an advantage that many people don't, I get the riders before the contract is signed and mark them up. Any act playing my venue knows what they are getting before the advance (in theory, management sometimes forgets to pass along info to the act and I have to send them a copy of the signed rider). In this day and age, no act wants to back out of a gig, it costs too many people too much money. Communication and being honest about everything upfront goes a long way to making a smooth day. Oh and yes I have been on the other side of the coin and it works both ways.

I work occasionally in a venue where if they need more then the 8 Xenon Supers there the old Carbon arcs come out. Do the LDs like it? No, do they use them? If there is no other choice, you bet. As an aside, in my humble opinion, no spot looks as good as a well set up carbon arc.

Yes, a LIST of acceptable equipment, REQUESTED by the tour. Listing IS requesting. Same thing. No it is not just friendly maintenance advice, just in case that is what you have.
You don't put things on you rider that you don't want.

Super Troupers went to xenon in the 80's; carbon arcs were quickly replaced. By the 90's there were some lingering in venues, but now we are taking 30 years after the tech was made obsolete.

Sadly some 30 year old buildings have not be upgraded and are still rocking carbon arcs. Asheville NC and Roanoke VA both come to mind, call em filler dates but you still have to get the show up. If you won't use the carbon arcs in house and the promoter has to bring in rental gear and extra labor you better have a damn good reason why. And lets face it, some of the stuff in a rider is to give promoter reps something to fight about in settlement. I've never gotten to pull the gig because local catering wasn't up in time and the only hot thing 'hot breakfast' the tour was paying $11 a head for was coffe.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back