Urgent Electrical Question

In no way is that right, see my previous post.

WHY - in a nutshell in the most simple and definitive way I will explain why with a simple question.
"What could happen if a single 100a fuse were to blow in one of the two feeding disconnects?"

Then the second 100amp fuse would blow very quickly after too... since it's immediately gets overlaoded, right? Regardless though there are so many code violations going on here.... feeding a higher amperage panel via two lower amperage panels, uninsulated connectors left exposed, cables attached in a manner that put stress on the fittings, not being able to shut off the load panels with the action of a single cutoff switch, blue load cables plugged into black inputs, old color re-coding tape not removed on other circuits, and who knows what else is done wrong just looking at that amazing quality of workmanship on what is visible on the outside.

Easy answer- This is wrong and unsafe, you may KILL someone. I need power from ONE source. Keep asking for supervisors. If this does not go anywhere, at least take the opportunity to be a smart-ass by saying something like, "If you aren't going to train your employees to work with electricity, you should at least train them in CPR; it will probably come in handy"

Last resort is get a generator and tell the house "electricians" to stay out of sight.

Start by being polite, but be RIGHT, and be STUBBORN. I have had LOTS of issues dealing with venue power, and have never been unable to to resolve the problems.

Easy answer- This is wrong and unsafe, you may KILL someone. I need power from ONE source. Keep asking for supervisors. If this does not go anywhere, at least take the opportunity to be a smart-ass by saying something like, "If you aren't going to train your employees to work with electricity, you should at least train them in CPR; it will probably come in handy"

Last resort is get a generator and tell the house "electricians" to stay out of sight.

Start by being polite, but be RIGHT, and be STUBBORN. I have had LOTS of issues dealing with venue power, and have never been unable to to resolve the problems.

I have enjoyed this conversation but no need to be mean. The other side of this would be they needed power this is what I got. Do you want extra power last minute this is all I can do. I can only assume that it is a last minute request or it would of been done proper. I wish I could say that things get done right all the time but something comes up the day of, and you say I cant do this right and they say do it or else. It kind of puts it on the spot. Shitty position but when you don't have everything to make it right you say that and if someone says I don't care IMO it's out of your hands.

if someone says I don't care IMO it's out of your hands.

On the other hand. If some kid does fry himself, who is going to take the blame? If something goes wrong, the venue gets shut down and the electrician is out of work and possibly on the line for negligent homicide. If you can't do it safely, then don't do it. The show must go on mentality needs to have a clause that precludes creating dangerous situations. No theatrical piece in the world is worth someones life.

Am I being over-dramatic? Yes! But what can I say, I'm in the theater business for a reason! ;)

My 2 cents:
If the renter failed to inform the venue of their power needs before load in, then it is on the renter to find a last minute generator. It is not on the house electrician to MacGyver something.
If the renter was told that they would have the proper power and showed up to this....... That is a MAJOR issue and it is worth being stubborn about until a suitable solution can be found.
For the amount of money that rentals pay to use a facility, the venue can easily hire an electrician to install the proper service. Pay to do it right one time, or pay for the consequences.

Interesting add-on to this discussion... I know it's an entirely different scenario, but I'm curious about the reasoning behind it.

In my space I have a 400 amp company switch. It's fed by two 4" conduits with two sets of 2/0 jumpers, each conduit has 5 2/0 wires and one #2 wire running through it. ( G,N,N,Black,Red,Blue). Why would the initial install have split the feed between two conduits? Does it increase ampacity in any way? Is it just because pulling 2/0 is easier than pulling 4/0?

Interesting add-on to this discussion... I know it's an entirely different scenario, but I'm curious about the reasoning behind it.

In my space I have a 400 amp company switch. It's fed by two 4" conduits with two sets of 2/0 jumpers, each conduit has 5 2/0 wires and one #2 wire running through it. ( G,N,N,Black,Red,Blue). Why would the initial install have split the feed between two conduits? Does it increase ampacity in any way? Is it just because pulling 2/0 is easier than pulling 4/0?
That's parallel feeders. They must be exactly the same length or you run into issues. But yes it's for sizing and making it easier to run the wire

It's easier to pull smaller wires then larger. The install electricians need to have been very precise to make sure the separate feed cables in different conduits are exactly the same length.

It's easier to pull smaller wires then larger. The install electricians need to have been very precise to make sure the separate feed cables in different conduits are exactly the same length.

Hmm.. Is there any way retroactively to ensure the electricians were that precise? Given that I have two company switches, and one (lighting) ended up with 6 Male Ground/Neutral cams and the other (audio) ended up with 6 female Hot Leg Cams, I am a little dubious about their precision... Though it's certainly one way to isolate the ground!

There are codes that dictate what can be run through a single conduit of a particular size. Wire size and gauge is significantly smaller in free air, but once it goes into conduit the gauge increases significantly. In free air 600A on 1/0 cable may be fine, but once that gets to a building it is broken up into several conductors and runs in several conduits, per local codes, even if they connect back to a 600a main breaker.

Disclaimer: Although the basic concept above is correct, I cannot speak to local codes, current ratings, or safety of a particular installation.

There should be no problem with multiple connectors per leg/N/G, but the connectors should follow one these:
1) they should all be gendered female
2) just the Ground and neutral are male.
3) rarely, just the ground as male, all others female.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back