what correction for lighting in daylight

rabvicar

I will be lighting a show in an atrium with possible direct lighting and am looking for opinions on correction. the stage area is being filmed with HD cameras and I was wondering if my usual L202/ L203 is the best route. I have had success with those in the past and got to thinking about other avenues.
Any opinions?

Whats your light source? Do you have access to the space currently to take a meter to it? Are the windows in the atrium tented or treated? What time of day are you shooting in? Do you have the money/time to throw color correction on the windows?

I will be using source four 575w instruments, and the windows are in the ceiling. We will be doing the show any where between 9 am and 2pm. We wouldn't be able to place any correction on the glass, and I do not believe they are tinted.

L202, L203, L218, and L281 could all be what you are looking for depending on cloud cover and how direct the sunlight is. It also matters what kind of lamps you are running in those fixtures. The X (Long life) series lamps have a lower color temperature then the standard lamps. I would probably pick up a few different colors at different color temps so you can be ready for anything. Also be aware that the light will be changing drastically throughout the day and you might have to deal with that. Is this a multiple shoot thing or are you filming a speech?

You might want to take a look at this site. It gives you a good idea in of all of the different CTO and CTB usually found in a grip truck. You don't have to have them all, but you might want to have a few.

There really is no right answer until you are standing in the space that day at that moment. I would visit the space a few times and see what its looks like at the parts of day you will be in the space and at different weather conditions. If it is raining it is going to look one way, if it is sunny it will look another. I see you are in Seattle, so you will probably have both!

You also might want to pick up some neutral density to take care of hot spots.....

Thanks that is very helpful. I was already leaning in the direction of the ND due to the weather around Seattle being a crap shoot. Fortunately this is a "talking head" gig where there are a few presenters that wander the stage, so I can have a static shot, no follows. Unfortunately it is Seattle weather and and the room is an odd shape with very few areas to put my gear, and a glass ceiling to boot. Mostly though, through some pictures taken at the venue it appears that the light is pretty well indirect.

If you've got the gear laying around, you might think about loading up some scrollers with a few different corrections. If day-of-show is completely sunny or completely cloudy, the skylight will be somewhat constant, but a partly cloudy day could have you riding faders like a sound guy at a Q&A session as you go from sunlight to cloud shadow and back again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back