12/37 SOW Cable feeding permanent Connector Strips?

More of an interpretation of intent on the part of NFPA, but another issue you run into with FOH SOW cable is being subjected to abuse. Yes, fly rigging is very much subjected to abuse, but it needs to be flexible. FOH you can use a metal-protected solution to resist the abuse and avoid damage to conductors.

RE: NEC 520: Be aware that there are some minor changes coming down the pipe in the 2011 revision of the code. I don't recall the exact changes, but anyone who uses the code often may want to check out NFPA's site for the details.

Last edited:
More of an interpretation of intent on the part of NFPA, but another issue you run into with FOH SOW cable is being subjected to abuse. Yes, fly rigging is very much subjected to abuse, but it needs to be flexible. FOH you can use a metal-protected solution to resist the abuse and avoid damage to conductors.

RE: NEC 520: Be aware that there are some minor changes coming down the pipe in the 2012 revision of the code. I don't recall the exact changes, but anyone who uses the code often may want to check out NFPA's site for the details.

Err...that's the 2011 edition of the Code that's coming, not 2012. It will publish in the Fall of 2010. I can tell you that there are no material changes proposed for Article 520 that will affect end-users. The changes are mostly editorial or clarifications to aid installers and inspectors in things like allowable multiconductor cable color coding.

As to conductor types and wiring methods in Article 520 venues: It's not actually a matter of interpretation of intent at all. The Code is very specific as to allowable wiring methods, and SOW cord is not one of them for fixed wiring devices. Period. So, while you are right about the abuse issue, the SOW cord is prohibited long before you get to thinking about that!

ST

Users who are viewing this thread

Back