2-Way Radios

Agree with bishopthomas. I know at least a dozen production companies in the tri-state area that use CP200's (we've been using ours for years) without any issues.

I just used them on a show in Costa Rica this past weekend as the main line of communication within production with a massive line-array PA, and although things did have to be repeated they were decent. We used a few motorola headsets which helped. They were the "light-duty" kind though.

Agree with bishopthomas. I know at least a dozen production companies in the tri-state area that use CP200's (we've been using ours for years) without any issues.

Thanks. A lot of folks around here get caught up in the theory and forget about the practice. Anyone can look up and quote information, I'm just speaking from real world experience, if that matters...

Is Hytera another one of those imported Chinese radios? I've never heard of them. I've been awfully apprehensive about some of the new Chinese radios I'm seeing. Though there are some that are dual-band (VHF and UHF) that are certified for part-90 land-mobile operation. These intrigue me since we use both VHF (MURS) and UHF (land-mobile) frequencies at work. The major manufacturers never seem to want to produce dual-band rigs for commercial use, even though they make them for the amateur market.

Is Hytera another one of those imported Chinese radios? I've never heard of them. I've been awfully apprehensive about some of the new Chinese radios I'm seeing. Though there are some that are dual-band (VHF and UHF) that are certified for part-90 land-mobile operation. These intrigue me since we use both VHF (MURS) and UHF (land-mobile) frequencies at work. The major manufacturers never seem to want to produce dual-band rigs for commercial use, even though they make them for the amateur market.

The trouble is (in Australia at least, although I suspect the us is similar) is that the ACMA (similar to your FCC) are very restrictive about what radios can be used on a given frequency band. The theory is that only the bands licenced for can be used. So, for example I can't get my amateur handheld and program in the frequencies I use at work, even though it would work fine. I think that is why they don't make dual band, to discourage it. Also, as most of the class licenced services are commercial, they can make more $$ in sales :p

avkid, what model(s) does Yaesu make that are dual-band part-90? Are they narrowband compatible? If a company such as Yaesu makes a dual-band HT, I'm all about that instead of buying one of the new Chinese radios.

gcpsoundlight, We have the same issue here. Amateur HTs can be modified to cover commercial frequencies, but that is against FCC rules.

You can use MURS (Multi Use Radio Service) frequencies provided you set the power of the portable to 2 watts or less. (Not really a problem in theater settings). 154.57MHz and 154.6MHz are the most popular ones. 151.82, 151.88 and 151.94 are also available in the MURS service. The trick is getting them under the required authorized bandwidth. The first two frequencies, 154.57 and 154.6 allow for 20KHz. So, if you program the CP200 for narrow band, or 12.5KHz, you are good. The other 3 frequencies require 11.25KHz, so you need more purpose built radios for that. A CP200 can not go below 12.5KHz. Be careful about radios that are part-90 certified. A lot of the import radios are NOT. For UHF, your option is GMRS, but as someone else stated, every individual user has to get a license. As far as i know, there are no general UHF frequencies to use with a radio like that.

As for dual band radios that are type accepted for commercial use, they are VERY expensive. There are a lot of Chinese sort of ones out there marked as accepted, but are pretty much only allowed for Ham Radio use. Personally I have one of those chinese unable to pronounce named radios, and they work great. I am a ham, so they get their use there. It's amazing the features they can cram into a tiny case for such low cost, but we can not do here due to FCC restrictions and such.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back