Vintage Lighting 2K Capitol spot project

Glad you found my or other catalog agues in saving me time.. Just to see if I have a reflector in spare parts. Your paint sounds really good in temperature rating - about that of 200C high temperature wiring. Hope it works out well.. Also I think related to the concept of pinkle paint but not the same. I have spent time in making paint color plates a few years ago in just figuring out what paint does what. It is really tough to reproproduce old paint. This if applied to a clean surface it will stick to. Are you fully restoring the fixture in sand blasting and starting over? I don't normally even go that far unless I have to. You should advertise that brand etc. But paint sticking to surface, depends on prep. work (Glue don't stick to dirt). A caution, but great you found the paint style which is rated for at least as much as the wiring TBD to use.

So given the extent of your research, you are just doing Matt Black - which is not a high temp color... Or I would have to search the above painted plates for a high temp. Matt Black. And you have some form of silver in stock, perhaps modeling paint silver. Stop, don't do it. What silver is in place, could be origional and if what's left of it has survived this long, and would probably survive especially if clean longer. If it's what someone applied, it seemingly worked with the heat

Can you effectively clean the silver paint inside of it so as to apply new silver paint you have in stock to apply it? What's the rating of your silver paint? Are you the next generation of dupe thinking that a silvered interior will help in output, and years later your paint just peeling off? Leave it alone and as is.

Remove the J-Box? I suspect it isn't in the documents for the fixture for removing and an added part?

Question overall. Are you trying to fully, fully restore this light back to it's made new factory spec? Are you trying to restore it back to factory Spec. but perfectly museum grade used condition I normally go for, or are you going for resale or other purpose? If resale, re-wiring and resurfaced lamp sockets are more valuable than otherwise restored. But after that restored is normally good to used condition but factory spec.

Not sure where you are going with your project. Its it's paint so badly falling off or corroded that you need to sand blast and replace it? Certainly at that point you are replacing all fasteners or re-tapping and coating them.

That also, you have not much mentioned the elephant in the room, wiring, lamp socket and grounding as the most important parts of a restoration. Paint if needed... a bad lamp socket is bad, wiring another.

I as a goal bought a 4.1/2" lighting fixture.. 20 years ago which if plugged in wrong would electriy the pin-rail thus all the grid except for some electrically isolating rigged balls rigged between lighting pipes and the rigging. It was a 1911 Crows foot outlet it was plugged in.

It was simple as a wiring short to frame, but while learning wiring fixtures was important. This as with a bad lamp socket study, a perfectly good lamp into a bad lamp socket will last about 100 hours less than the lamp replaced.

A fixture buyer wants a safe product they can plug in. You as the seller, person working on the fixture, returning it to use. are liable. Now that you have researched the light... what are you doing to make it factory spec or better in a wiring way.

Unfortunately, there isn't enough silver paint left inside to clean. The only portion left is where the lamp sled sat when someone hastily brushed the inside with a coat of black, so no chance of saving what silver is there if original. If what was there was serviceable, it would be staying. Originality is one of those things I struggle with, I'm usually a very big stickler when it comes to leaving alone whats ok but in this case, the fixture has been sloppily re-painted and fixed so many times that whatever originality is left in the surface finish is completely gone. All paints and primers I plan on using are rated at least 400f working temp. Still torn on re-painting the inside silver, or a high temp black. As you say, what if it's not original and I'm just adding on to whatever some absent-minded tech did years ago. Regardless of what I do, I'll share whatever products I use that end up working as described.

End goal is a fixture that looks nice and is period-accurate, while still being operable and brought up to modern safety standards. It doesn't need to be "fresh off the line", but I have the blasting cabinet and equipment to fully take it down to bare metal for good paint adhesion. The amount of corrosion in some areas is beginning to affect metalwork, once things get to that point I feel uneasy just cleaning a small area and coating it with the rust reformer. In terms of fasteners, quite a few need replacing as they have either seized or have completely stripped heads. I have close matches to what's on there now so thankfully I can replace the few that are bad instead of re-doing all of them.

I have absolutely no plans to sell. These repairs and restorations and purely for my enjoyment. Although I have had a number of things go out for prop use. The lamp socket is serviceable and will do just fine with a quick clean, I've experienced many of the failures you describe with bad sockets on many fixtures still in service.

In clarification for the J-box. On the original fixture, all wiring was terminated in the J-box that the lamp socket is mounted to, that is staying. I will be removing the external J-box... its just a household rough-in box with a mid 60s household lightswitch in it, no cover, and certainly not correct for the fixture.

As stated in my last post, the fixture will be fully re-wired and grounded with the appropriate cable and fiberglass sleeving. If needed I even have the equipment for simple high-voltage insulation testing as well. All original wiring has already been removed by me, no risks taken with leaving something like that unattended for another human to go and plug in.

If it seems like I'm all over with my end game for this project... its because I am. Having these conversations is very helpful in deciding how I'm going about this, and it's evolved much further than my original "re-wire and spray with some rattle can black" that I was going to go for. Originally thinking it wasn't nearly as interesting or old of a fixture.

One other idea... Do I just re-wire and clean the lamp socket, then leave it as it sits? A sort of resto-mod? I could certainly think of a few ways to stop any future rust or corrosion while maintaining the current look. Let me know what you think about this as well.

I think every word above is what I will have said, or would debate with myself or on-line in advice/concurrence over the years. Sorry, in innitial caution on my part, was a question of flipping the fixture as if a home for profit. I look forward to your advances on paint, and notes in what you are going to do.

You have a statement of someone painted on the paint, and further refrence it to later years coats of it. Should be able to tell with denatured alcohol what is factory or not. Again, could be original inside as it was messy paint jobs, but given the reflectance issues of the fixture... Don't know for sure who did it. Out side the fixture, paint is normally more neat.

On my part I have restored as to your debate, well over 20 similar or older fixtures including carbon arc's in similar design, and even given I needed to make parts for some... went on to manufacture six more from scratch given I had already built templates to make the panels. Oveall, from the 1890's to 1990's, I have restored in the museum well over 150 lights, and overall in the 300-400 lights range. All with the same questions you ask. Some of my lights have been used on shows, though I normally remove the origional lamp and often have to modify them so as to be lamped with other than a historic lamp.

Lamp sockets, grounding next best stuff I could help with I suppose in your debate of what to do on paint or not, and or starting over is you with nobody able to do it for you. Historic value, with your noted rust restorer / reformers applied but still not sure. Bolts replaced etc. Been there, done that in sand blasting the entire fixture verses preserving it. On my part, I believe I cited some possible mistakes in that perhaps not all fixtures were black, but some I worked on I made black. What ever you end up doing probably won't be worse a choice than what I did.

Lamp socket re-surfacing I have posted a lot on over the years. Has not changed much, but can post if needed. Something 20+ years of doing that works well.

I will definitely keep you updated. Some supplies are coming in early next week, then have to unearth the blasting cabinet if I decide starting from bare metal is needed.

Heard back from Ohio state, as thought originally none of the catalogs are digitally scanned, however they will scan all 900 pages worth quality not guaranteed... for a little over $300 out of my precious wallet. For that price, I think I'd rather slowly start gathering the catalogs myself. Viewing in person is free, but Ohio certainly doesnt sit near California. Not to rag on them too hard, I'd be charging more than that if I were the poor soul tasked with scanning them all in one go.

I should be good on the lamp socket resurface, but if anything comes up i'll be sure to ask. Glad I'm not the only one with both external and internal debates about what would do a fixture justice. I'm sure ill learn a few new things along the way, even if found in my mistakes with minimal lesson involved. Just today ripped a whole sheet of 3/4" ply down into pieces 1/8" too small because I didn't read the tape twice... one of many learning moments involving the slow walk of shame over to my superiors, being lucky still that they have the paitence to guide me gently through my mistakes in constructive ways. Now making sure I dont make mistakes of that magnitude on this project.

Looking at post #10 I'm thinking they might be good as wall mounted doggie food and water bowls.

Ah' we all make mistakes.

Don't get into the so sure of your accuracy as I did today in being 1/32" off on some holes on a cover plate. Hit yourself at the back of the head and start over, or at times close enough to work.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back