3-4 Channel mini-mixer for home setup?

TheDonkey

Hey, I'm just wondering if anyone knows of a model of a relatively cheap/small mixer with about 3-4 channels that I can use in my home setup to mix between my Desktop/Laptop/Aux cable/Turntable?

But here's the kicker, I would like it to have 4 stereo IN's, and 2 stereo OUT's. I have a set of computer speakers and another set of wallmounted room fill speakers. I like each for their individual sound qualities, so don't want to ditch either.

The inputs would be 3.5mm(1/8")/Stereo RCA's, and one out need to be RCA, the other 3.5mm.
Edit: I would also like to get at least some sort of basic EQ in there, be it 3-band per channel, or just 3 band for the whole mix(do those even exist?)

I'm hoping to find this for around $50 shipped to Canada. (Or to find it locally somewhere) (Just the mixer, I can find cables/adapters and all that later on)

This is merely a creature-comfort thing, because right now I just have a single Aux cable going straight into the big system that I move around between iPod/Laptop/Desktop, and it can't be good on the cable/connectors to constantly be plugging/unplugging.(My iBook is over 5 years old)

P.S. Don't worry about the turntable, I have the pre-amp and cables for that. Just needs the RCA in's.

I started looking, and came up with the Behringer XENYX 802, which seems to fit most of the specifications, but the first 2 inputs seem to be only MONO XLR or Line-level 1/4 TS. Giving me 2 mono and 2 stereo. And it's just a bit more than I'd like to pay. Other than that, it's exactly what I imagined, 2 outputs with similar-size knobs, 3band EQ per-channel, and dimensions-wise it fits perfectly in the space I have on my desk.

Last edited:
The Xenyx 802 could support four stereo inputs, you'd simply have to use the two mono inputs for one stereo source and the Tape inputs for the fourth, with the Tape inputs having no EQ or level control.

A Behringer 1002B would probably be much closer to what you want as far as having four stereo inputs with EQ, but it only has one stereo output and it is about twice your desired budget.

The Mackie 802-VLZ3 comes a bit closer to your functional requirements. It uses XLR and 1/4" jacks but could support four stereo sources each with three band EQ and has main and control room outputs with separate level controls. However, it is also about four times your budget.

The only mixers I find near your budget do not support the inputs and outputs you want. You are probably not going to get what you want with a $50 budget. It should also be pointed out that although you said you would worry about cables later, with a $50 budget for the mixer you could spend almost that much on adapters to get all of your RCA and 1/8"mini connections into the XLR and 1/4" jacks that are typical on these mixers.

I'd look for a used DJ mixer with a zone output. The zone output will give you one set of speakers, the main output the other set of speakers, and it will have enough stereo inputs to satisfy your needs. Something like the now discontinued Gemini PS01 would work for what you're doing, so if you can find a used one, you'd be set. There're a huge number of 3 and 4 channel DJ mixers out there that will sell for cheap used. The 3-channel models often have two inputs per channel, with a switch that switches between the inputs.

You should easily be able to find one for about 50 bucks, and it'll have RCA and maybe even 1/8" inputs as standard, with RCA outs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back