$300 Programmable Controller For Theater?

MrSting

Generic(N00b) = (Cheap Programmable Controller For Theater)^N00b

Anyway, I am the techie supervisor at a small private high school. My main expertise is sound, sound, and MORE SOUND!

We are looking for a simple controller for basic lights. No moving heads, scanners, led, just 10kw of pure EDISON magic. The nature of our production requires the board to be programmable.

I have one of those Enttec Open USB DMX adapters lying around. Would a computer solution be the only way?

Our budget is around $300 by the way.

Thanks to all!

Last edited:
With that kind of a budget and your need for more than a 2 scene board, your enttec plus some sort of software application is probably the only viable possibility other than buying a simpler board and renting something like an ETC Express 24/48 when you need more complexity. Look at using the interface with Chamsys MagicQ which is free.

Do you have dimmers, if so what are they, if not then you have little to no chance on that budget.

Do you have dimmers, if so what are they, if not then you have little to no chance on that budget.

We rent a 12ch 2.4kw rack. Its pretty old but does the trick.

Basically, we are slowly buying stuff. Microphones or a dimmer will probably be after a console.

Our plays are for the students, run by people like me who do not want to mess with community theater any more.

...people like me who do not want to mess with community theater any more.

Man, I feel ya there. My local community theatre is pretty decent, but I just got so tired of doing those "canned shows" as I call them. Same old cast (it seems like), same old sets, same old mess to sort through year after year. No one strikes the previous show, and the designers never collaborate during the design process. Luckily, aside from my freelance work, I've got a cool new gig with a up-and-coming production company called Sideman Productions (www.sidemanproductions.org).

Sorry for the hijack, you obviously hit a nerve ;)

To actually contribute to your thread, I will say that Chamsys Magic Q is a very good resource. You can even buy a control wing when you get the budget. This will make it a very powerful console, especially when compared to the minimal investment you would have to make. Do that over getting any glorified 'dj board'.

The shows look cool. I'd love to see Reckless but I live in Missouri. Anyway, thanks for the advice to you and all!

The shows look cool. I'd love to see Reckless but I live in Missouri. Anyway, thanks for the advice to you and all!

Thanks! 10 Questions (an original work) was my first show with them, which had a cast of four and took place in a tiny space with -literally- 12 65Q fresnels. It was the show with a lot of white and blue lighting and minimal set (just chairs and some hand props). Even with the minimalistic equipment and overall approach, it was a great experience and turn out. Working with so few instruments really allowed me to learn more than I would in a space with 150 instruments because I had to figure out how to depict changes in location and mood with just that handful of lights. The show was based on one hour interviews taken from eight random people in the Dallas area. Basically, it was about life experiences. Very dynamic.

I just came from a Reckless production meeting. It's gonna be fun. This one is going to take place in a larger black box theatre.

Sideman is just starting out, but in the future, they're planning on renting a warehouse to work out of, while doing shows at various locations. So far there is only one staff member (artistic director), but they are bringing on an associate artistic director, managing director, and they have mentioned the possibility of me becoming technical director. Nothing is set in stone yet -- still some meetings to go to, etc. We'll see how it pans out. Thanks for your interest!

/hijack

Do keep us updated on your decisions re: lighting control! We love to hear how things turn out!

If you're willing to go with something of the used variety, you could try keeping an eye on eBay. The newer boards tend to go for more, but I picked up an ETC Microvision for $90. It's old, but does far more than the 16 channel Elation board it replaced.

I'm not sure if your school would place restrictions on buying things from eBay, though.

You could buy an Elation Scene Setter 24 for $250 or less.

For your application I definitely second this suggestion.I sell a lot of similar units and they are simple enough to operate but do everything you could want.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back