A little equation help...

express

Hey Guys!
I just need a little help here. I'm trying to find the diameter of a 9 degree light at 12 feet. I keep getting 111 feet?? I happen to know that can't be right!

Thanks for the help already,
Ben

Download a copy of BeamWright here. Downloads
It's free and multiplatform.

Is the decimal in the right place?

... I'm trying to find the diameter of a 9 degree light at 12 feet. I keep getting 111 feet?? I happen to know that can't be right!. ...
Is 9° the beam angle or field angle? What is the make and model number of the fixture (as I don't know of any 9° fixture, maybe a moving light; but in any case the field angle will always be larger than the beam angle)?

From Mathematical Formulas for Lighting - ControlBooth :
Beam diameter = distance * (2 * tan (beam angle in degrees / 2)) [This is the math upon which the calculator in the link of post #2 is based.]
Simply substitute 12 for distance, and 9 for beam angle in degrees, and solve the equation.

Well, thanks for the help. After I went back and did it again, I was getting the same answer that the webpage was getting!

Anyway incase you were wondering what it is..
Products » LED Pinspot

I'm doing a quick little job for a friend who owns a returant here in town. He's got 4 Blackhawks flags hanging on a wall, and wants only the indian head lit. Two feet in diameter would be perfect. The easiest hang position is just under 12 feet away.

Thanks again, and go hawks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back