Ableton Lagging Issues

StradivariusBone

Custom Title
Premium Member
Fight Leukemia
So my Worship Leader has a MacBook Pro running Ableton and another piece of software that handles effects and patches from his USB/MIDI keyboard controller that outputs to a Behringer interface via USB. The MBP is circa 2012 and he just updated to El Capitan (probably problem #1).

The symptoms are a digital-sounding static and slight stutter/delay when the tracks are playing from Ableton (with click) and he's also using the keyboard. We've isolated it down to the computer/interface, nothing analog from the cables to the speakers in our system is causing this problem. It also followed his rig to the youth room when they played up there.

This is his interface- http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/FCA610 His keyboard is a generic USB/MIDI controller, don't know the brand.

My gut's telling me that the computer is under a lot of stress when playing patches from the keyboard, and playing these tracks (which sometimes consist of playing anywhere from 1-10 WAV files at the same time, plus the click). I also am wondering if the USB on the MBP is having difficulty coping with the MIDI in and the output to the audio interface. Somewhere on this rig, data is throttling when it's cooking.

The Behringer interface also has a FireWire input, and I'm recommending to him that he try that first before doing anything else. If he unplugs it and uses his MBP sound out there are no issues. It's hard to say when these issues cropped up because I don't know if he installed El Capitan before or after the lagging began, but I really feel like this is an issue in the USB on the MBP just getting thrashed with that much data flying through it. I'm also not sure how much processing that interface actually does. I'm wondering if plugging his keyboard into that would work with his software that generates the patches and possibly ease up on the bus? Admittedly, I don't know enough about how Ableton and (something with an R----) work to determine if that would make sense.

I'll update my own thread- This issue now almost seems universally related to the Behringer FCA610 and the El Capitan update. I found a German forum that had a few people complaining about the exact issue so now it's a matter of Behringer patching the firmware or not. Isn't there a Behringer rep on the board somewhere?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back