Adding DMX Controller to existing ETC CEM/Sensor/Unison) system

ToddL

Hello. My church has an existing installation of ETC Lighting system. The current install consists of 48ch Dimmer Rack full of 20A dimmers, Sensor (CEM, the older one), and a Unison controller. According to ETC, I should be able to add a DMX controller to this existing system. Basically, I want to be able to have 12 or so faders that I can assign groups of dimmer channels to and then control manually during a service. ETC recommends the SmartFade family of controllers (Lighting solutions for Theatre, Film & Television Studios and Architectural spaces : ETC) They seem to run around $1300 USD. It looks like an excellent controller, but what do I know - I've never used any DMX controllers, ever. It also seems like OVERKILL for what I want to do.

Basically, we want to assign groups of dimmer channels into assignments like: Seating/House, Stage/Sancutary, Pit/Music Seating, etc. Then, we can manually fade up/down these groups as needed during a service. We don't really have a stage, and we don't really do any show lighting. There are no colors/scenes changes. Just dimming standard "white" lights.

So my question: Are there other makes/brands/models of DMX controllers which can interface with the ETC Sensor CEM and better match my simple needs?

Regards,
Todd

Good Morning Todd

DMX is a control protocol (language) that is a standard in the lighting industry.
If your SENSOR rack has the DMX port already installed, you’re good to go.
If not, you’ll need to have a qualified tech install one.
There are too many companies to count who make controllers that speak DMX
If you buy a console that is too basic, you will grow out of it sooner than you think.
$1300 is about the price range you should be looking in. there are consoles less expensive
But in a couple of years at best you’ll want more functionality.

SmartFade isn't overkill. It or an equivalent controller would actually about right for the job. The only comment I'd make to the contrary is if you only want to define what each fader does once and then not change it for the next couple years. If that's the case, then you'd be better suited with a Unison fader station, available in several different sizes: http://www.etcconnect.com/docs/docs_downloads/datashts/Unison_FaderStation_vD.pdf

Only problem is I assume you're running Legacy Unison (ETC's former version of Unison), in which case you would have to beg, borrow, or steal one on the used market. If you ask around local theatrical vendors, someone may have one that they gutted from a system that was being replaced, but that's really the only way you'll find those stations anymore.

Wow! Great answers so far! DMX = protocol, got it. $1300 = about the right price point. Confirm/get system configured for DMX input. May not be overkill.

And Unison Fader unit (if one can be found) may be an interim step...

FYI - currently, we have two "on / off" wall stations for after hours pass-through settings. We also have a multi-button wall pannel for direct access to presets and pile-on groups with raise/lower buttons for each. Then back in the lighting closet (where the dimmer rack lives), there is a LCD panel. So, for now, I have to go there to do "custom" settings. However, I can't easily manage all the channels from that interface. I do see how an old Unison fader wall plate could fit the bill with assignments for groups of dimmers to each fader control on that wall panel. I could possibly build a table-top box to mount it into and position it on the mixer desk in our sound booth.

or something like this:
7Gang_consolette_390x220.jpg

-Todd

You probably want to find the local dealer. If you are at all lucky one of their techs is an ETC field technician, s/he may even be familiar with your system.

There are many possible answers to your issues. Even a re-programming of your LCD might solve some of them. What is best will depend on a clear understanding of what you want to accomplish. Just changing the preset settings? Running a "modern" musical service? or ??? Do you see getting LED stage lights anytime soon?

The slider station you pictured can be either wall-box mounted or "portable" as shown and they come in many sizes. I doubt you would want 48 sliders that way though, and a console would likely be cheaper.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back