Advice for in-classroom microphone purchase

FACTplayers

Budget is $500. The teacher wants to use a head worn microphone in her classroom. There will be about 70 students in a room maybe 40' x 50'. I want to use a wireless pack that can dock each night to recharge the batteries. She already has a stereo system that she wants to utilize. It has RCA connections. I was thinking of ordering the Audio Technica system below. Recharging station: Audio-Technica - Microphones, headphones, wireless microphone systems, noise-cancelling headphones & more : ATW-CHG2 : Two-Bay Recharging Station (2000 Series)
Receiver: Audio-Technica - Products - Wireless Systems - All Systems - 2000a Series

Questions:
1) Other recommendations?
2) Can this use any rechargeable batteries?
3) XLR to RCA - potential issues?

Budget is $500. The teacher wants to use a head worn microphone in her classroom. There will be about 70 students in a room maybe 40' x 50'. I want to use a wireless pack that can dock each night to recharge the batteries. She already has a stereo system that she wants to utilize. It has RCA connections. I was thinking of ordering the Audio Technica system below. Recharging station: Audio-Technica - Microphones, headphones, wireless microphone systems, noise-cancelling headphones & more : ATW-CHG2 : Two-Bay Recharging Station (2000 Series)
Receiver: Audio-Technica - Products - Wireless Systems - All Systems - 2000a Series

Questions:
1) Other recommendations?
2) Can this use any rechargeable batteries?
3) XLR to RCA - potential issues?

I've used the 2000a series before with good results. Just make sure to crunch the numbers and make sure that you will stay in budget. The best prices I'm finding (after a very short google search, you might be able to do a little better than this) is $165 for the charging station from here, and the transmitter/beltpack without a microphone for $300 here or with the microphone for $350 here. I don't know if you'll be able to stay under $500 with that specific receiver. If you can get a discount since you are a school, than you may be fine. If you can't, try to get a little bit more money so you can get the dock, since I see it being very convenient, especially for a teacher/ classroom situation. A more budget friendly option would be to buy a standard battery charger and train the teacher to charge the batteries when they are done.

Next thing to think about, will the stereo system the teacher has be sufficient for that space? I'm not going to guess what she has but it would be a waste of money if she did not have something that get adequately loud for that space. Make sure that it will work before you spend the money.

As far as your questions
1) For rechargeable, docking systems: No. If you want to get a standard battery charger, I like the Sennheiser and Shure lines better, but that could just be because I spend most of my time with those systems.
2) That dock specifies NiMH batteries. You "should" be able to use any rechargeable batteries but I would still avoid NiCd (if you can even find them...). Most rechargeable batteries you buy at the store are NiMH, so you'll be fine.
3) Not likely, I would go with a 1/4" to RCA, just because that cable will be easier, and likely cheaper to find, but there won't be any serious problems. Maybe a little more noise than if it was a balanced signal and there will be 3dB less signal. Keep the distance between the receiver and the PA short and you'll be fine.

I remember a teacher of mine got a wireless microphone for a class about that size and it made a huge difference in the class, especially for those of us in the back. I think this should be a requirement for all classes over 40 students, just because a lot of professors do not project well it gets hard to hear. Maybe someday...

Hope this helped!

Despite dismal usage rates, a system from this company is getting installed in every classroom in the school district I graduated from: Audio Enhancement
Each classroom has four in-ceiling speakers and the amplifier is mounted on the wall with knobs to control four different sources. It is IR based which works well because a regular drywall and steel framed wall can block the signal from making it's way to other rooms. Does have rechargeable batteries but only has the options of the teardrop mic worn on a lanyard or a traditional handheld mic.

Out of six classes, it was only used in one because it could also provide a direct feed to hearing aids. Wasn't well received by students either along with interactive whiteboards in every room with growing class sizes and textbooks from the last century.

I've used the 2000a series before with good results.

Next thing to think about, will the stereo system the teacher has be sufficient for that space? I'm not going to guess what she has but it would be a waste of money if she did not have something that get adequately loud for that space. Make sure that it will work before you spend the money.

Very helpful, thank you. The stereo will definitely be loud enough. She is a choir teacher and frequently blasts music. I'm not sure of any specifics, but it's not a small boombox most teachers use. Thanks for the concern, though. Most people would have over looked that aspect.

It may be loud enough, but does it also have even coverage of the room? Also, are the speakers located such that they are not directly firing towards wear the instructor would be?

In other words, without the instructor making a concerted effort to avoid feedback, would she be able to wear the microphone, turn it up to a comfortable level without feedback, and would she sound roughly the same level throughout the room?

It may be loud enough, but does it also have even coverage of the room? Also, are the speakers located such that they are not directly firing towards wear the instructor would be?

In other words, without the instructor making a concerted effort to avoid feedback, would she be able to wear the microphone, turn it up to a comfortable level without feedback, and would she sound roughly the same level throughout the room?

Yes, it will be fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back