Advice/Opinions on ETC Express vs Element

anjorizz

Hello, I'm in a predicament. Our Express 48/96 board fried on us. We have the option of purchasing another Express 48/96 or an Element 40 or 60. The express will cost us less money but this is where I need help.

Where is the Express in it's life cycle? If I buy this board, how long until companies stop servicing it or parts start becoming unavailable? Will I just be wasting money? Is the Element worth the purchase (it will be double the cost compared to the Express)?

It's being run from a CD80 rack.

We are a high school and on top of the theatrical performances, the auditorium is rented out for various events all year long so our equipment is frequently used.

Thank you.

At this point if you're buying replacement rather than fixing, I say spend the money and get the element. The Express is long discontinued. While its still out there in the world being used by many, buy what's current, gives you room to expand in the future and will have a longer life ahead of it. My 2 cents. You could definitely argue for the express, its a great board, especially if you're just using conventionals, but if you can find the money there's no real good reason not to just go for the element.

Have you looked at getting your express repaired? There is not that much on that desk that can fry. Also if you are paying more than a grand for a used express you are over paying. Offer them 500 or 750 and not a penny more. Etc will support the express long into the future so I wouldn't worry about that. I would just avoid spending more than a grand on any express no matter how you slice it. Get the element if you can't fix or replace it for under a grand.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

I would look at getting the desk repaired, depending on how much the school would balk at having to drop substantially more money on a new Element. Do you have at present, or plan to get into LED fixtures, or anything that eats up DMX addresses quickly? It doesn''t sound like an issue for you yet, but this might be the impetus you need to start future-proofing. If you go the cheaper repair route, use this a a warning shot to start to save for the newer board. If they need further prompting, show your IT department the floppy you save your shows on... ;-)

What do you mean by "it fried"? Did sparks blow out of it or something extravagant, or does it just not turn on? It could be as simple as the power supply went belly up. If you call ETC Tech Support, they can give you some more precise troubleshooting tips before you throw in the towel on it. They can also help you determine if it can be sent in for repair.

For future planning, I'd bank on an Element unless you can pick up an Express for as little as $350 or something silly inexpensive like that, but at that amount of depreciation from retail price, most people are just hanging onto their old Express consoles and keeping them available as emergency backups rather than trying to sell them off.

We had a constant issue of our Express constantly skipping cues. Because of this we felt it was best just to upgrade to the Element. I couldn't be happier. It has a ton of features that the Express doesn't, but it's still easy enough for a volunteer op to use. If you have the budget, plan for the future and get the Element.

I teach high school drama and less than a year ago we upgraded from an Express 48/96 to an Element 40 - in part because we also bought some new LED pars. I thought I would miss having the 96 faders on the express, but given all of the features of the Element, the student/tech goddess (that's our official term) who runs the lights for our shows and I are very happy. If you can afford it, go with the upgrade, even if the Express is fixable.

All the same reasons postetd, get the Element.

1. Floppy drive.....
2. LED is now a standard, that means more address, but more control. Express will not handle it well.
3. You are on top with you performances. You can't stay there without updating.
4. You need to keep current with technology. Having ethernet and USB is definitely moving you there.
5. There is NOT a good reason not to. And board failure is a very good reason to take the step.

Any Express you buy used, or a fixed unit you now own, will run the risk of floppy drive failure down the road. Will ETC be able to replace it ?, questionable. Note that the floppy drive is only one of many parts that may become hard to source over the years. ETC does have a pretty good inventory of diskettes, but they too will be come impossible to find. As well, ETC does an outstanding job of technical support and will continue to support the Express.

IF and its a big if, you desire to expand the technical production of your events, or provide new gear such as LED's, as others have stated, the Express becomes old quick.

Thus this may be the best moment to make the case to move to an Element or Cognito, or something you find user friendly and I would suggest doing some research on the options. It's easy now to make the case that 20 year old computer technology needs replacing.

Just don't let the "I might move to LED's" one day be your only real reason to make the upgrade. When you are buying 30k to 200k of new units the cost of a console is a rounding error, especially this console. When you finally do decide to upgrade to LED's or better fixtures then take a look at the state of the art then. Way to often people buy the console with more power then they need to future proof themselves and then find themselves with an outdated desk. The Element is 7 years old at this point.

If the express is dead, its not a question. If the express can't be fixed for under 500 bucks, its not a question. If the express just needs a new power supply.... just stay with it until you run up against the limits of the desk.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back