Wireless Affordable, quality wirless lav system for Middle School?

chouston

I'm looking for an affordable, quality lavalier (lapel, not boom mic) system for the small private Middle School where I work. Price is a bit of an issue, so I'm trying to find something in about the $300.00 (or less) range per kit (mic, transmitter, receiver). Going to need to purchase 10 to 12, so don't want to break the bank. Right now, I've been looking at Audio Technica and Electro Voice. Also looking for a decent 16 channel analog board to run them. Most of the boards I have a Mackies, and a 16 channel runs about 700 bucks. Any suggestions on these two questions? Thanks so much!

I'm looking for an affordable, quality lavalier (lapel, not boom mic) system for the small private Middle School where I work. Price is a bit of an issue, so I'm trying to find something in about the $300.00 (or less) range per kit (mic, transmitter, receiver). Going to need to purchase 10 to 12, so don't want to break the bank. Right now, I've been looking at Audio Technica and Electro Voice. Also looking for a decent 16 channel analog board to run them. Most of the boards I have a Mackies, and a 16 channel runs about 700 bucks. Any suggestions on these two questions? Thanks so much!

In that price range I have had good luck with the Shure Performance Gear "PGX" Line. We bought 16 of them for the local Highschool (divided out between 3 frequency bands). 5 years later, they are still going strong with heavy use. They are used for the show choir, musicals, improve group, speakers, etc... In the PGX line you can get the pack and receiver with either a lapel or headset mic.

We got ours at Guitar Center (the County school system has an account there) and were able to get the sales tax exemption.

You are at the low price range for such a project. The Shure PG Systems are something to look into, and I also hear good things about the newer Line 6 wireless systems. However, I believe you are looking at $500 per system to start. This does not even include antenna distribution which is a MUST (in my opinion) when you are dealing with this many systems.

Be sure you spend a good deal of effort in researching frequency sets and get a scan of the wireless in your space. This will help you purchase the proper wireless systems on the proper frequency sets that will work best in your location.

A 16 channel Mackie would be an OK board for a budget system based on the information you have provided. Also look into the Yamaha MG series mixers. I think they will run you about $500.

~Dave

First: read over the FAQ on my website to get a feel for the issues you'll face in a 12 channel wireless system.

You will need to make a determination whether dropouts and occasional fuzz is okay in your system. If it is okay, you can probably get away with a $300 system like the Shure PGX. If not, then you need to plan to spend at least $500/system plus antenna distro and mic elements. Also, before you buy, coordinate your frequencies so you know what bands you need to purchase in.

If you're not sure you understand some of the details, ask here and we'll be happy to explain further!

The MicrophoneMadness mics are quite good and are cheap.

As to affordable wireless, I don't have a recommendation.

UHF spectrum is pretty full here in the Dallas area. For at least that reason, I'd recommend fully-frequency-agile wireless systems (by which I mean you can place a radio on any frequency within the bandsplit, not just preselected channels, even if there are many selectable channels). Sennheiser's EW G3 series would be my first choice.

With the band being pretty full, you have to coordinate like whoa and keep on top of the ever-changing RF landscape. Within the past year or so there's been at least one low-power TV station in the old G1 bandsplits that's increased their power by some amount, creating interference in what was once a desirable channel to use for wireless.

Back when I was in junior high, we barely had a stage (in the cafeteria), let alone wireless mics. :)

Yeah unfortunately, the bottom price on what I would truly call a quality wireless lav is about $500. I've had excellent results with both the Sennheiser 100 G3 and the AudioTechnica 3000 series. Unfortunately, both will cost you around $500. As far as I'm concerned, in that price range, the quality of the transmitters and receivers between Senny, Shure, and AT are about the same. The big problem is that even with a $500 kit, the stock lav mics that come in that kit is mediocre at best. So you need to think about upgrading the mic as well... which adds a couple hundred more to the price of the kit. You can buy just the beltpack and receiver for around $400-$450 and save your money to buy a better lav.

I know it's not kosher but I'm running 13 mics with no antenna distribution and no problems. However that depends a lot on your theater layout, length of transmission, location of the building in relation to other sources of interference... lots of variables.

Call your local dealer and ask for their best bid.

Look for sales at Guitar Center, Musician's Friend, Full Compass, and Sweetwater.

If you choose Audio Technia, Send BillESC a personal message or give him a call. He got me some excellent prices on AT in the past.

Call your local dealer and ask for their best bid.

Look for sales at Guitar Center, Musician's Friend, Full Compass, and Sweetwater.

The three local places I'd call first are Crouse-Kimzey (proaudio.com), Sound Productions, and Guitar Center Pro. You will most likely get a lower price over the phone than driving by online. TCU just got quotes from them on a similar setup of EW500, and they were all below street price.

I know it's not kosher but I'm running 13 mics with no antenna distribution and no problems. However that depends a lot on your theater layout, length of transmission, location of the building in relation to other sources of interference... lots of variables.

If it works, it works. :) Antenna distribution is not necessarily a requirement but it can make your life easier.

The three local places I'd call first are Crouse-Kimzey (proaudio.com), Sound Productions, and Guitar Center Pro. You will most likely get a lower price over the phone than driving by online. TCU just got quotes from them on a similar setup of EW500, and they were all below street price.

Personally, the places I would call first are those found here on Control Booth. There are several companies on here representing many (most?) of the major industry manufacturers. I know I always try to help out my fellow forum mates by purchasing from members that carry products I don't. Besides giving and receiving advice I expect giving and receiving excellent pricing when it comes time to make purchases. I've suggested it before but maybe there should be some sort of CB vendor list to "keep it in the family."

Edit: By the way, nothing wrong with the people you listed. We order from Sound Productions often. They always have the best pricing, especially on Yamaha products. 2 M7CL's and 3 LS9's have come from them.

We sell our own custom version of the sennheizer 100 G3's. They work really well and would fit closer to your price range. They also sound a lot better due to the change is in the mic element. The ones that come with the sennheizers are terrible in my opinion.

Just keep in mind that for many schools, public entities, etc. there are procurement processes that may have to be followed based on the dollar value of the purchase.

I have to admit that I'm a little curious about what the application is that requires 10-12 wireless and a 16 channel console but nothing else. Is this a submix into an existing system? Are there other wireless mics or IEMs elsewhere in the system or in the building? Do you need a rack to house the receivers and possibly the mixer? Do you want any effects or processing?

Must agree with Brad. You have drawn a rather tight box around your project which does not allow for further expansion. Would be a shame to have a 16 channel mixer in the booth lots of wireless and all of a sudden some one needs to hard wire a small pit orchestra or something and there is no snake to take those channels to the booth. You may never need that capability.....just sayin.

Just keep in mind that for many schools, public entities, etc. there are procurement processes that may have to be followed based on the dollar value of the purchase.

I have to admit that I'm a little curious about what the application is that requires 10-12 wireless and a 16 channel console but nothing else. Is this a submix into an existing system? Are there other wireless mics or IEMs elsewhere in the system or in the building? Do you need a rack to house the receivers and possibly the mixer? Do you want any effects or processing?

He said it was a private school, so many of those procurement processes may be a little different.

Also, I'm assuming that he already has some sort of sound system already in place because he didn't mention anything about speakers or monitors, which would be an integral part of any sound system.

He said it was a private school, so many of those procurement processes may be a little different.
They may be quite different or very similar as many private schools and corporations have their own procurement processes. For example, I work with many corporations that require three quotes for anything over a certain dollar amount. Or that any actual purchasing may have to go through an internal procurement or purchasing group who may or may not have existing 'preferred providers' or a vendor approval process. Or it may be something as simple as whether a vendor supports purchasing via a Purchase Order. The point was not to discourage suggesting providers but to prevent that becoming the focus of the discussion if it was not directly relevant.

Also, I'm assuming that he already has some sort of sound system already in place because he didn't mention anything about speakers or monitors, which would be an integral part of any sound system.
I find that it's usually good practice to verify assumptions. If that is a valid assumption then it could affect some of the comments. For example, this could be part of a standalone portable system but if it is tying into a larger system with monitors then it may be better to have the mics on the main mixer and to submix other sources. The comment "most of the boards I have" also suggests there may be other systems, and potentially other wireless systems, with which this may then have to be coordinated. It seems potentially beneficial to know such information.

Audio Technicas ATW 2000 series can be had within your budget. For a mixer look at Allen & Heath's Zed-24. It will give you 16 mic channels and four stereo channels at a MAP of $ 699.00

Going to need to purchase 10 to 12, so don't want to break the bank.

If you plan on running 10 or 12 units together in the same room I don't believe there is anything in that price range that will allow you to use that many channels together. If this IS important than get a guarantee from whoever you buy them from that this is the case or that they will take them back.

That said ... using that many systems is many time more difficult without an antenna distribution system. If you can (or must) step up to about $500 each, the line 6 XD-V systems have built-in antenna distribution and come with all the parts necessary to hook it up inside the box, no extra charge.

Don Boomer
Wireless sales Engineer
Line 6, Inc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back