Conventional Fixtures Altman 65Q problem

Kind of well established that the Parnel is a different animal than a PAR or Fresnel. Also doubt it’s a plan from Altman to sell a ETC product. Customer service from any company is dependant on the sales person, if you don’t find one that will be of help, get another and fair enough.

On the lamp socket issue, perhaps I misunderstand in springs having good tension on the socket/base yet no arching. Also, non-cleaned or new lamps re-installed into the socket because a bad lamp into a good socket would show the same results. So if for example correct or not, you clean a socket, lube the spring and put a new or resurfaced lamp into a socket that has a clean plate and it works for a while than not.

Don’t know, cannot wrap my head around why such a perfectly good lamp don’t work in a perfectly good socket - this even with a weak spring short or arching. I would look elsewhere into the train of wiring/plugs as to the cause assuming the above should be a good connection and you have no indication of arching or heat damage with socket. These are good cleaned lamps or new ones put into the resurfaced sockets correct? Just in a mechanical sense, I don’t think this lamp/socket connection is your problem if the case. Good lamp and healthy socket, and in failing still without observable heat related damage... not the cause of the problem.

Assuming PARnels are not Fresnels persay - curious and useful, but more expensive. One might look into companies like L&E or Times Square for their versions of the Fresnel that could be different in end results for the same or cheaper price. That or wait for... believe back when ETC was working on a real Fresnel or perhaps that got side lined due to LED fixtures they are working on.

No burning problems seen in the socket area, why are the fixtures not working? Sorry if I also cannot help you in figuring it out due to centering on just one part of the assembly and system of power to it. Very limited the amount of info in this part not showing a cause for why they don’t work dependently yet don’t show a problem where presented that would show a problem. Good luck with the new fixtures... might solve the problem or not in failiing also and a lot of money in being sure about the cause not yet for sure known of the problem.

...That or wait for... believe back when ETC was working on a real Fresnel or perhaps that got side lined due to LED fixtures they are working on.
ETC has been shipping a real, 7" Fresnel for almost a year now.
Gallery_Fresnel-Glam.jpg
ETC Products - Source Four Fresnel

See the thread http://www.controlbooth.com/forums/...2-new-etc-fixtures-including-etc-fresnel.html .

How do you know the ETC fresnel will be reliable? They haven't been out long enough to know what kinds of flaws it has.

Well do you think ETC is the kind of company who will release a product without knowing how it will last? ETC has a great reputation for releasing great products.

But, maybe sk8rsdad
6777-what-you-doing-today-img-20120406-00033.jpg

(or someone else with some S4 Fresnels) could share his (their) thoughts on them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:
How do you know the ETC fresnel will be reliable? They haven't been out long enough to know what kinds of flaws it has.
Somewhat valid point, but since this thread's topic was originally socket problems, and there have been well over two million TP22H (-type) units shipped the past twenty years with few problems, sockets probably aren't going to be a issue. Historically, the manufacturer in question has been (more so than any other manufacturer, at least) quick to address and willing to remedy design flaws and manufacturing defects.
Hi - re: the Source Four Fresnel - we realized quickly that the bottom accessory 'ear' was too thick for the Wybron scroller plate, so we've fixed that so the Wybron plate sits completely into the slot. ...
Tom
Fixtures Product Manager
ETC

But also valid point in how many 65Q fixtures have shipped since it even became a 65Q and thus before also in 65 series. It's a 6" Fresnel and showing problems in not working yet there is not a problem in the socket that can be figured out. This is a base fixture everyone has worked on at some point no doubt. Why isn't it working correctly in this condition different than any number of us that it worked correctly for in our conditions?

Just asking? New fiture solution before figured out the cause of the failure? Just seems like a problem not answered. That and the solution of the problem might be more cheap than buying new gear.

This is a lighting fixture that with all work don't seem to work after due care. Send me a sample and I will track down at least the fixture cause in problem and cause of it. I am not believing that it is the fixture type alone as the problem for reason for something that might be simple to cause the light to not work properly as per thousands of lights otherwise working proprly.

Sell them all off and buy something more expensive.. Yes and before understanding the problem.

Really, send me the Fresnel and I will figure out what is wrong in making it at least for that fixture factory spec. again in trailing down the problem. Fresnels are not hard.

Last edited:
Well do you think ETC is the kind of company who will release a product without knowing how it will last? ETC has a great reputation for releasing great products.

But, maybe sk8rsdad
(or someone else with some S4 Fresnels) could share his (their) thoughts on them.

After a whopping 1 (count 'em 1) opportunity to lamp, hang, and focus the S4 FRES7, I can categorically declare that I like them better than the mix of Altman 65Q, 75Q, and FE 6" Fresnels they replaced.

• no light leakage
  • no gloves required to focus
  • smooth beam angle adjustment using a mechanism similar to the S4 Zooms (easy to train the noobs) with an even field over the whole range (25-65 degrees)
  • captive accessory holder (a barndoor or tophat isn't going to fall out when hung pointed straight down)
  • single lamp inventory (down to 4 types of HPL, no more BVT, BTN, BTR)
  • can replace lamps without the need to refocus
  • noobs didn't make mistakes lamping them during setup, unlike the number of times they managed to incorrectly install a lamp in the medium focus sockets (push, turn, no the other way, what do you mean "it's stuck"???)

Dislikes:
  • accessory holder door needs a rethink. It can be a two-handed operation to get the door closed. Some accessories (Chroma-Q scrollers) require modification to get the door to close, and the hinge tolerances are sloppy enough to make lining up the clips cumbersome. I don't think this will be much of an issue in our venue but for a long running show, or a rep house where filters need regular replacement it could slow things down.
  • accessory holder is a little thicker than the 65Q so a few of our barndoors won't slide in.

Last edited:

Playing devils advocate...

Early S4's had all kinds of issues with lamps falling out. The original "burner" design did not have the retaining clip that units ship with today. It was not uncommon after receiving a rack of lights to find half of them had lamps that slipped out. Granted, most of the venues I worked at back then were on crappy midwest roads, but the issue did happen. Worse yet, it the lamp was halfway out it would arc wrecking both the lamp and your socket. Both of these issues have been fixed with that pesky retainer clip.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back