Amplified signal path

Foxinabox10 said:
Although this might have worked, it is still not a good idea to run a power cable directly next to an audio cable.

If all your connections are balanced (XLR or TRS 1/4") then you can run your audio cables near pretty much anything you want to and not get hum. I have a 5kW rig set up as such and I've parked my amp racks right next to some ancient SCR dimmer racks and picked up only the slightest hum and that was likely through the speaker runs, not the snake.

It's actually very good practice to power up your amp rack and mix position from the same location with an extension in between, because this assures the same ground potential at both locations. It's much safer for the musos playing electric instruments that way and also a lot more hum proof.

Ohhh the ever-present cabling dilemma. This is a bit of a practice-over-theory thing as well.
As Mayhem said, if they have to cross, make sure its at 90, but its not necessarily true, you may cross them at other angles (I've yet to see a tech measuring angles) and not pick up hum also.
Balanced lines do work well, its the whole point of them, and high quality cabling does marvels.
As for different ground potentials, they will affect much more than you may think, since it also affect the chance of creating a ground loop. Ho Hummmmmmm

What - you don't carry a protractor with you?

Personally I like the Whirlwind E-Snake much better, the LightViper has selectable gains, only 3 of them, which kinda pisses me off.

Yeah, that is nice. But I don't think either will be in my rig soon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back