An explosion in the making?

Les

An explosion in the making? (non theatrical)

So I've been on this Yahoo! Answers kick lately, and I find it amazing what some people ask in the Home & Garden section. From people asking how to do electrical work in their house when they don't even know how to rewire a table lamp, to this:

Open Question

I got some firelogs and I need to hook um up.?
I'm gonna put them in the fireplace eventually, but for the party this weekend I want to run them in the middle of the living room like a campfire. So I put down some think plywood and poured some sand on it. Now I want to hook up the gas line. So i got some really think garden hose and the adapters to make it hook up to the logs on one end and the 5/8" steel pipe on the other. So, it leaks a little at the connections, but not a lot. So, how far away from the logs should I keep the people at the party?

* 1 hour ago
* - 4 days left to answer.

My Answer:
No offense, but this is a very bad idea. These get very hot (a huge fire hazard because you are not using it the way it's intended) and the burning gas emits carbon monoxide. Even opening your windows won't save you and your guests from it. And leaking gas? From a GARDEN HOSE? I would suggest keeping them no closer than the next city block!!!

I can not emphasize how much you should not go through with this plan!

---
I also liked this answer:
Anytime you mess with gas, treat it like it's going to be used in a way on a permanent basis. Garden hose is n.f.g.! They use brass fittings for a reason! And it isn't for the spark you're looking for here.
Run them in the living room without the benefit of firebrick or masonry vessel designed to handle fire? Lets start with google and look for Darwin Awards! If you can light up a flatus, what do you think will happen with real pressure?
To start with you need a valve to turn the gas on and off. On natural gas tanks a regulator valve is used. Read the cautions listed on a gas grill. The same cautions apply here too. 1. Carbon monoxide 2. Flexible plastic coated gas hookup with compression fittings well away from the ignition or black pipe with TFE paste on the threads of the joints. 3. A sand covered board will still burn.
Think things through and use your head dude. Gas leaks are not ok. Not even small ones! Gas smells like farts not so deaf people can enjoy them too! But mercaptan is added to warn you somethings wrong!
Source(s):
I do this stuff

Last edited:
Answer to question of how far to keep people away: They should not be on the same property as somthing as dangerous as that!!! "It only leaks a little bit" does not cut it with gas, if you carry through with this plan, you can equate that proior quote to "My arm is only a little bit blown off"

Have fun :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back