Angle Color Visualization

TupeloTechie! Thank gosh I'm not the only who dosn't know what that is :]
I had the same thought as you did; examples of the gels that I used, and then maybe a kind of "side view" of the stage, so that I could draw in the way the light would hit each section of the stage.
Also, I have a question for you; I'm not exactly sure of the dimensions of my high schools stage, so doing a completely accurate light plot is proving to be a little difficult. Any suggestions?

Also, I have a question for you; I'm not exactly sure of the dimensions of my high schools stage, so doing a completely accurate light plot is proving to be a little difficult. Any suggestions?

Two words: tape measure. If you don't know, measure.

From this document: http://www.edta.org/pdf_archive/critique_sheet_lighting633573352063125000.pdf, here are the complete rules. I was hoping seeing the descriptions in context would help, but it doesn't.

RULES
1. Presentation must be a design for one published play written for the theatre. Designs for performances of poetry, fiction, screenplays, dance, and/or any other medium are not permitted.
2. The entrant must present a Light Plot. Acceptable scales are ¼" or ½" =1'0". However, the plot cannot be printed larger than 24" × 36". The single page should include a Unit Key for clarification of all stage fixtures and a Title Block indicating show name, producer, facility, date of production, and drawn by and scale data.
3. Provide a one-page document, Conceptual Visualization. Discuss the director’s point of view of the play and his/her lighting wishes; discuss your visions for light; discuss any major messages in the play that light should enhance; and discuss how the lighting dreams and visions were technically achieved.
4. Provide a one-page document, Angle Color Visualization. Visually show the colors used in the design and the angles you chose for all major components of the design (specials are not required to be noted). Minimum size: 8.5" × 11". Maximum size: 18" × 24". Notes on the document should justify the choices made.
5. Provide a dimmer or channel hookup of only the light plot (not a unit schedule).
6. A section (side view of the stage-showing fixtures) is helpful but not required.
7. Only one entrant may be involved in the design. No collaborations are allowed.
8. A ½" binder is recommended. This binder should contain the following materials: (a) a brief statement of the design choices inspired by the script, (b) research materials, and (c) other sources of inspiration, if any were used.
9. The applicant must make an oral presentation justifying the design and may use up to ten (10) minutes for the actual presentation. Notecards may be used. The applicant must be prepared to answer questions about the design. Questions are not part of the ten-minute allotted presentation time.
10. The introduction must ONLY include the entrant’s name, troupe number, title of play, and playwright.
11. The oral presentation cannot exceed fifteen (15) minutes, including setup and questions and answers.

I participated in this at the International Festival this summer and received a superior rating. I ended up creating a poster of sorts that included a master lighting key, a swatch of each color used separated by systems, and images of the breakup gobos I intended to use. The judges seemed to like it.

I just finished mine, and I basically just drew three of the main scenes, the angle that the light in those scenes was at, made some notes about why the light was like that, and provided samples of the gels that I used in those scenes. Does that sound about right?

Cypresstreee, I think you're more-or-less doing what we'd call a rendering. Depending on how you interpret the description, I guess it could be, but we've all come to a consensus on a "Lighting Key" as derekleffew calls them.

i ahve a question. i plan to compete in this this february. i was wondering what is a unit schedule? that may be a stupid question but i really don't know.
also i was looking at Mccandless method and i was wondering what he means by using contrasting cool and warm colors. in the design i have i used white light for the wash. is that a bad idea? should i change it next time to his three point cool and warm system?

i ahve a question. i plan to compete in this this february. i was wondering what is a unit schedule? that may be a stupid question but i really don't know.
also i was looking at Mccandless method and i was wondering what he means by using contrasting cool and warm colors. in the design i have i used white light for the wash. is that a bad idea? should i change it next time to his three point cool and warm system?

Unit Schedule probably refers to an Instrument Schedule. An instrument schedule is a piece of paperwork that lists all of the lighting instrumentation in order by position. The convention is to number units from stage left to stage right. An instrument schedule contains all the pertinent information for each piece of gear including: Unit Number, Channel Number, Dimmer, Circuit, color, template, and accessories. Here is an example created using LightWright 4:
proxy.php

You can use almost any softweare to make an instrument schedule if you don't have LightWright. MS Excel, FileMaker Pro and MS Access are probably the most common. If you have drawn your plot in VectorWorks it can also generate this type of paperwork.

As for the McCandless method. First of all, what do you mean you used white light for THE wash? Generally there is more than one "wash" as you may have a front wash, a template wash, a back wash, etc. Is it bad to use all white light? No, it is just boring. The McCandless method is a great starting point to learn new techniques for lighting design, but it is by no means the only way to do things. You need to do what works for your show in your space.

I have heard of that! just never as a unit schedule.

what i meant by the wash was a front wash from profile spots situated in a catwalk above the audience. we have electrics....they're like footlights but they're above the stage. they're in three electrics. so whenever i have to light a show we don't have any general light to actually illuminate the actors except for our Profiles on the catwalk (i'm pretty sure they're profiles, i'm really sorry if they're not and i'm telling you the wrong thing). i tried to put gels on them but there isn't enough of them for there to be an illumination wash somewhere AND a colored wash. i would have to choose one or the other. like i said i tried (we're doing Seussical Jr.) and it wasn't bright enough.

anyway. that may have been an unnecessary explaination. Thanks for all of the help!

Thanks for the help, everybody. I got 2 superiors at the CO competition and I'm taking it to ITS in Nebraska... See you there Midgetgreen11 and Laine :]

I'm so glad other people are doing this in Nebraska this year! Last year I was the only entrant in the lighting design category. I will see all you there this year!

Sorry to revive an old thread, but I'm doing this too (except I'm not done, and I'm leaving tomorrow...) I was wondering if there's any reason I can't take pictures of the stage, with the correct lights on. I'm having difficulty getting an accurate rendering, and I was wondering if there's any reason I shouldn't use actual photographs.

Sorry to revive an old thread, but I'm doing this too (except I'm not done, and I'm leaving tomorrow...) I was wondering if there's any reason I can't take pictures of the stage, with the correct lights on. I'm having difficulty getting an accurate rendering, and I was wondering if there's any reason I shouldn't use actual photographs.

I'm pretty sure the idea is for you to show pre-visualization and not actuallized design. You'd need to ask one of the previous participants to be sure on that.

Granted looking through this its for Magic Sheets whcih theres been much conversation about on the booth and if you look at one of thsoe threads you'll see its also a different idea than what you're wanting to do.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back