Mixers/Consoles Any recommendation?

How does the X32 handle preset cues? Unless I am missing something, the Qu-32 that I use requires multiple key presses to fire a preset. Sure, you could put some functions on soft keys, such as 'next cue', but you can't EQ and see presets at the same time in the Superstrip window.

Define "preset cue"? Are you looking to recall a full snapshot/scene recall (what the entire desk is setup like... ie act 1, scene 3), or just a preset (what a specific parameter is setup like.... ie SM58 on a UM1P). The X32 has full scene recall that goes very deep. It also allows you to save specific parameters to the desk in a preset library. All can be played back and restored pretty easily with several different ways of playing back... from confirmation screens for more R&R stuff to a simple "go" for theatre. You can keep firing scenes/snapshots and still be in another view doing something.

Yep. Scene recall is it. OP's use is a school theatre, so the assumption is made it will be doing more plays/musicals. Sounds like the X32 is way more geared towards that than the Qu32.

Yamaha LS9-32, it's a solid console that'll last for years, and has two mini-YGDAI expansion slots for AES, SDI, ADAT, Dante, etc. Allen & Heath is also a rock solid choice - with the smoothest fader travel I've ever found.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yamaha LS9-32, it's a solid console that'll last for years

Just because it will last for years does not mean it should. The LS 9 can not go away fast enough. Way old technology that never sounded good without a pile of external gear.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Just because it will last for years does not mean it should. The LS 9 can not go away fast enough. Way old technology that never sounded good without a pile of external gear.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

There are definitely better, but it is a decent solution for the price without jumping up to the QL/CL series. Ours actually sounds pretty nice through some QSC amps and a small JBL line-array all working over Dante.

I will say however, that the CL5 is one of the best consoles I've had the opportunity to work with for live sound. Though the expensive broadcast mixers have their place as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've used both the x32 and an LS9-32, and I'd take the x32.

The only thing that comes to mind that the LS9 had that the x32 didn't was user access controls. You could lock down the console to limit what each user could do. For example, your user could have full access, but a default student account might only be able to run the faders but not change eq or output settings.

An LS9 is probably the last console in the world I would recommend for a school theater. For students you want ease of use and the Yamaha menus are less then intuitive. As bad as some of the logic in the X32's software is, it is far easier to get around on then most of the consoles in that price range. If sonic quality is important then jump up to the M32, the pres are better sounding. IMHO the easiest to learn and best sounding of the boards in this range in the Soundcraft Si series. For theater the cueing is simple and if you have any experience mixing then the manual is just for trouble shooting. That being said the lack of a scribble strip on some ranges is a deal breaker for a lot of people and the Impact lacks MIDI. The Performer has everything most people want but adds some bells and whistles and cost.

In defense of the Ls9 (Full disclosure we've had one for 6 years and I'm super happy with it). Buy modern digital console standards it's old. It's also... with correct secondary gear. at 48-64 channel console. don't forget that when comparing it to the X32/M32. The market has changed as to how what little bonus features people expect on their consoles like scribble strips. (which I wish that my Ls9 had :)) I don't find the day to day operations and menu/dynamics/eq options that cumbersome at all. if our console was a touring console and output routing was changing frequently I can see how the menu navigation is a little wonky.

Does it sound fantastic? it's adequate, and and perfectly fine for what would make up most school sound systems. We had 32 come in and tour in our space for a couple of weeks and I did like it's fuller sound it provided.

I do believe the Yahama TR 5 which is the new offering in that price range. The QL is the Modernized version of the Ls9 and the little brother to the CL consoles (but I believe share Pre-amps hardware, software design, and layout, the QL being more Analogue based, and the CL leaning more heavily on Advanced Dante networks.

In defense of the Ls9 (Full disclosure we've had one for 6 years and I'm super happy with it). Buy modern digital console standards it's old. It's also... with correct secondary gear. at 48-64 channel console. don't forget that when comparing it to the X32/M32. The market has changed as to how what little bonus features people expect on their consoles like scribble strips. (which I wish that my Ls9 had :)) I don't find the day to day operations and menu/dynamics/eq options that cumbersome at all. if our console was a touring console and output routing was changing frequently I can see how the menu navigation is a little wonky.

Does it sound fantastic? it's adequate, and and perfectly fine for what would make up most school sound systems. We had 32 come in and tour in our space for a couple of weeks and I did like it's fuller sound it provided.

I do believe the Yahama TR 5 which is the new offering in that price range. The QL is the Modernized version of the Ls9 and the little brother to the CL consoles (but I believe share Pre-amps hardware, software design, and layout, the QL being more Analogue based, and the CL leaning more heavily on Advanced Dante networks.

All that said. I would not recommend the LS9 as a new purchase for any space especially at the 6-7k that it still costs. There are newer more features rich consoles for less then that, and Even More powerful systems for a little more. Unless you are looking for a sub 10k 64 channel digital console, the LS9 is not for you.

My community theater put in the full size X32 about 3 years ago now, and I am absolutely in love with it. It did take a little while to learn, and the documentation steadfastly refuses to keep up with the firmware, but by and large, you can figure out how to run it without too much trouble.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Back