Any Thoughts On These Speakers

I'm not sure if I have ever used the ZX5's, but I have used the ZX1's quite a bit. They are a decent sounding speaker, although the price seems a little high. You can get the powered QSC K12 for $800 MAP. I like the sound of them quite a bit and they come with their own amplification (although you may be looking at only passive). What is the application?

I'm not sure if I have ever used the ZX5's, but I have used the ZX1's quite a bit. They are a decent sounding speaker, although the price seems a little high. You can get the powered QSC K12 for $800 MAP. I like the sound of them quite a bit and they come with their own amplification (although you may be looking at only passive). What is the application?

They are going to be used in a theater. Looking to have three small clusters but of course we are on a tight budget so I am looking for the best bang for the buck. I do not want self powered for obvious reasons.

They are going to be used in a theater. Looking to have three small clusters but of course we are on a tight budget so I am looking for the best bang for the buck.
Unlike at home or in a studio where you are concerned primarily with the sound quality for playback to a very defined listener area in a generally well behaved environment, in a live performance venue you need to consider the sound quality for live reinforcement to a large listener area, and sometimes in a less that desirable listening environment. That means that considerations such as whether the speakers provide proper coverage of the listener area while minimizing coverage where you don't want it should be a priority. So should the ability to provide appropriate sound levels and response to all listeners. And if you are planning on using existing system processing and amplification, then compatibility with those is obviously also important.

So my response is that the Zx5 is a good speaker, is well received in general and may be a good choice. However, whether it, and specifically the 60x60 version, is actually a good option for your specific situation can't be assessed without knowing more about the situation and your goals.

Unlike at home or in a studio where you are concerned primarily with the sound quality for playback to a very defined listener area in a generally well behaved environment, in a live performance venue you need to consider the sound quality for live reinforcement to a large listener area, and sometimes in a less that desirable listening environment. That means that considerations such as whether the speakers provide proper coverage of the listener area while minimizing coverage where you don't want it should be a priority. So should the ability to provide appropriate sound levels and response to all listeners. And if you are planning on using existing system processing and amplification, then compatibility with those is obviously also important.

So my response is that the Zx5 is a good speaker, is well received in general and may be a good choice. However, whether it, and specifically the 60x60 version, is actually a good option for your specific situation can't be assessed without knowing more about the situation and your goals.

Sorry, I may created some confusion, I am mainly asking the opinion on the Zx5 line in general and if there are any other speakers in the same price and quality range I should also look at??

Sorry, I may created some confusion, I am mainly asking the opinion on the Zx5 line in general and if there are any other speakers in the same price and quality range I should also look at??
It seemed pretty clear that the intent was three clusters in a theatre, is that not valid?

You cannot separate any assessment of equipment from being dependent upon the related application. What would be considered "comparable" to the Zx5-60 and what determines equivalent "quality"? There are many factors such as size, weight, mounting options, sensitivity, output, pattern (and not necessarily just the nominal pattern), frequency response, driver size/type, ability to be arrayed, price, sales sources and so on that may actually matter or not. Which do actually matter and to what degree is typically determined by the application.

If nothing else, can you tell us what aspects of the Zx5 made you think it would be a good option for you? That may provide some better basis for recommendations.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back