Apollo Scrollers won't stop "homing"

TheTheaterGeek

EOS Addict
Premium Member
Fight Leukemia
I'm in a new space and our Apollo Scrollers mostly work but some occasionally home forever. Is this a quick fix or is it a bigger problem. It's driving me crazy.

Thanks

Sadly I just had this same issue...and later on in that day the power supply fried. It was then that I realized that they didn't cover anything up in their recent renovation and it was loaded with concrete dust inside.

Also, I was kind of surprised that the new one was twice as big as the old one...granted it does seem like a much better design because it doesn't get anywhere near as hot as the old one always did.

I believe the old.

I'm in a new space and our Apollo Scrollers mostly work but some occasionally home forever. Is this a quick fix or is it a bigger problem. It's driving me crazy.

Thanks
Are they the older Smart Color or the newer Smart Color PRO?

Sadly I just had this same issue...and later on in that day the power supply fried. It was then that I realized that they didn't cover anything up in their recent renovation and it was loaded with concrete dust inside.

Also, I was kind of surprised that the new one was twice as big as the old one...granted it does seem like a much better design because it doesn't get anywhere near as hot as the old one always did.
Are you talking about the power supply being bigger?

Wow! I'm kind of messing things up here!

@TheTheaterGeek, so it has the dip switches and rotary switches on the front? It could be a dirty or misaligned sensor. Have you checked that?

Yes dips on the front.

How do I check the sensors?

When looking at the front of the unit, beneath the head (left) roller is a cover. The sensor assembly is under there. Page 15 of the manual (page 13 of the PDF) explains.

Also check the "TEST" button on the front. Make sure it works and has good tactile feedback. Since it protrudes from the front of the unit, it is susceptible to damage. It can get broken off and/or jammed.

Ok I'll do that when I get the chance. Could an improperly loaded scroll do the same thing?

No. The only way a string could really be improperly loaded, is if it was put in backwards, tail at head motor, head at tail motor. The scroller wouldn't know that. If you put it in with it facing the wrong direction, well, you'd have other issues!

Haha. Agreed. I'll let you know how it goes.

When looking at the front of the unit, beneath the head (left) roller is a cover. The sensor assembly is under there. Page 15 of the manual (page 13 of the PDF) explains.

Grey

That manual looks more interesting than the one I got with our smart color pro units. For example my manual has no info about cleaning the sensor. Am I missing some documentation?

Are they the older Smart Color or the newer Smart Color PRO?

Are you talking about the power supply being bigger?

Yes, if it helps to put an age to the old one, it still had Doug Fleenor Designs guts. It was my understanding in researching if it was be better to repair or replace that they haven't made them in years. Ultimately, it was better to replace since everything fried.

Grey

That manual looks more interesting than the one I got with our smart color pro units. For example my manual has no info about cleaning the sensor. Am I missing some documentation?
No, nothing is missing John. The PROs don't have a sensor, but instead have an enclosed encoder on each motor. That is one of the major improvements we made when designing the PRO. The encoder can't get out of alignment and is enclosed so it can't as easily get dirty. Also, having one on each motor increases the accuracy, allowing for longer strings.

Yes, if it helps to put an age to the old one, it still had Doug Fleenor Designs guts. It was my understanding in researching if it was be better to repair or replace that they haven't made them in years. Ultimately, it was better to replace since everything fried.
Yeah, those units had... issues. I do not in any way want it to seem like I am putting down Apollo's good friend, Dr. DMX, or his company. There were some problems with those units and the specific power supply used. We also didn't like the way some things were done inside of the units. Hence, we designed our own. Doug was very understanding and had no hard feelings toward us for discontinuing his product and bringing our own to market, and we thank him for that. I believe he was already moving on to bigger and better things at that time and that meant he could stop making those specific units and develop them into some of the products he has now.

I understand your decision to replace rather than upgrade. We do still have 14 of the power supplies left for repairs.* Once those are gone, we will no longer service or support the PSU250 and PSU400. The Apollo Smart Power line has been available for over 6 years now, so it is about time for us to sunset the old units anyway. On a related note, we are quietly discontinuing the Smart Power 600. It has just never sold many units. We still have 10 units on the shelf and are currently assembling the last 6 or 7 sets of metal we have. Get 'em while ya can!!

*Because of the way the units are wired, when one supply fails, we replace all of them because the others could have been stressed. I do not see these units much anymore and when I do, it is the more popular PSU400. There are two supplies in the PSU250 and three in the PSU400. That being said, I have no idea when we will run out and no longer support them!

They work! It was the sensor. Bent it parallel to the circuit board and blew them out. Even fixed the ones that were a bit off. THANKS GUYS! Was going to look like a pretty awful designer that loved split colors and nothing else.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back