Arcing Connections

CrazyTechie

Hey everyone,
Today at school during focus we came upon a light that where the stage pin connector was arching in the socket which would cause the light to flicker on it's own occasionally. We also found a fresnel that was arcing where the lamp connects so we had to switch that out.

My solution to this problem was to open the connector up and inspect the connections on the inside then I proceeded to sand down the arc residue on the pin itself (for lack of a better word at the moment, if there is an official term let me know and I'll change it) from one of the pins. After I put the connector back together and plugged it back in it worked like a charm.

So, I was wondering if there were any other ways to clean off a connector or a better solution than sanding that is also fairly easy and quick to do. I have already read through this thread which leads me to believe the best way is to essentially resurface the connectors.

One thing you might look into is a pin splitter (forget the actual term) but we use it in the film business to fix issues with camlocks as sometimes the pins which have a little slit will warp out of shape same thing for our 100A bates.

Remember, there is also arc damage on the female side. I remember an old trick- Go to a gun store and check out the brass barrel brushes. I forget the caliber that fits, but I remember there was one that worked like a dream to clean the inside of female stage pin plugs. Pin spreader is best for the male, and a bit of steel wool to clean the brass pins.

As for the lamp socket (unless I read this wrong), there is no cleaning, you have to replace the socket.

... a pin splitter (forget the actual term) ...
Surprisingly, Pin Splitter is the actual term!

...then I proceeded to sand down the arc residue on the pin itself (for lack of a better word at the moment, if there is an official term let me know and I'll change it) from one of the pins. ...
Arc residue=carbon. Not sure exactly where it comes from, as the brass pins are made of an alloy of copper and zinc. Possibly from impurities in one or the other.

It's important to remove only the foreign buldup, and not any of the actual conductive material. As Edrick said, a pin splitter is the best tool for this job. On one end of the pin splitter is the blade to split the pins, on another is a hole to compress the pin if you've bent it too much. The third hole contains a wire brush for cleaning the pin. So be very careful when "sanding" away the carbon residue with emery or crocus cloth. See also http://www.controlbooth.com/forums/lighting-electrics/9412-cleaning-female-stagepin-connectors.html , http://www.controlbooth.com/forums/lighting-electrics/16300-never-split-pins-again.html .

Lamp bases and sockets are a different but similar matter. MPF sockets, such as those used in Fresnels, can be resurfaced; do a search for posts by ship. For medium bipin, it's impossible to get to the contacts, and there's not much extra material on the base pins to begin with. Thus for axial ERS fixtures, we usually recommend both the lamp and socket be replaced at the first evidence of arcing. Putting a bad lamp into a good socket, or a good lamp into a bad socket, spreads the venereal disease until one's entire inventory is infected.

Last edited:
Arc residue=carbon. Not sure exactly where it comes from, as the brass pins are made of an alloy of copper and zinc. Possibly from impurities in one or the other.

As you say Brass is an alloy of copper and zinc but does contain other metal impurities - depending on which brass alloy we are talking about - but it is possible that the black residue is actually copper sulphide which is a black/greyish colour, zinc sulphide is white. This could happen because air contains sulpher dioxide which can be broken down in the arc to react the sulpher with the copper and zinc. A SEM FTIR analysis may give the answer but I dont have a sample to analyse. other metal compounds have a black appearance so there are other possibilities. Just a thought.

Last edited by a moderator:
Might be interesting. Never gave it much thought, but now that I think about it, carbon would be very unlikely. Has to be something created in abundance from the materials at hand.

Just 'arm-chair Science-ing' here but It would be my belief thatto create the arc electricity must travel through the air. Since the the most conductive thing in the air is C02, it would follow that the carbon deposits on the pins would be the result of that electrolysis of air. I would think this could happen for a number of reason not the least of whih would be exposure to Imperial Blast fire. As Luke says in Episode 4, " You guys must have seen some action... There's a lot of carbon scoring on this little guy here." ..... But then I'm not a real Scientist.

Just 'arm-chair Science-ing' here but It would be my belief thatto create the arc electricity must travel through the air. Since the the most conductive thing in the air is C02, it would follow that the carbon deposits on the pins would be the result of that electrolysis of air. I would think this could happen for a number of reason not the least of whih would be exposure to Imperial Blast fire. As Luke says in Episode 4, " You guys must have seen some action... There's a lot of carbon scoring on this little guy here." ..... But then I'm not a real Scientist.

I agree with this possible explaination. I believe it is carbon in the residue.

Is it wrong that now I want to create some arcing so I can send a sample to church for analysis?
I'm sure many of use were thinking the same thing. I just looked through my collection of pin connectors hoping to find one with evidence of arcing. Sadly, they are all in pretty good shape.:(

Perhaps someone can send a burned pin or connector to Church for analysis, if he's offering?

I agree with this possible explaination. I believe it is carbon in the residue.

I also expect carbon residue to be present I cannot remember seeinga scan when it was not present - it is the most common element and I would be very surprised to not find evidence of carbon the only thing that varies is the amount of carbon. As was stated the carbon dioxide will breakdown in an arc but so should the sulphur dioxide which is a much more reactive gas than carbon dioxide. my guess is there will be a real pot pourri of stuff because elements found as impurities from the manufacture and alloying metals added for specific purposes include: nickel, tin, lead, arsenic, antimony, iron, slicon etc.

Anyway the reason arced contacts are hard to clean is any compounds of carbide, nickel and sulphide are hard.

Sorry I didn't reply to this sooner work at school picked up a little and I was relaxing after my last final for the semester.

So what I have gathered from this is that I should clean out the female plug on the raceway so that it doesn't spread to other connectors, as well as get myself a pin splitter.

Thanks for all the input!!

Actually, I have a 60amp plug on a 5k fresnel that has welded itself to the socket at one of my client's. I'm going out to replace it this week, and I'd be happy to send it to Church for an analysis, just let me know where.

Remember, there is also arc damage on the female side. I remember an old trick- Go to a gun store and check out the brass barrel brushes. I forget the caliber that fits, but I remember there was one that worked like a dream to clean the inside of female stage pin plugs. Pin spreader is best for the male, and a bit of steel wool to clean the brass pins.

I asked this a few years ago and no one had an answer then, thanks!

...So what I have gathered from this is that I should clean out the female plug on the raceway so that it doesn't spread to other connectors, ...
Spreading the "disease" among connectors is not nearly as common as between sockets and lamp bases. Most arcing on connectors occurs from hot patching, not mis-seating as with lamps. I've never cleaned a female in my life, and the only time I've had to replace one is when it had fused to the male, which was more likely due to poor/improper termination of the wire to the pin than arc residue build-up.

I asked this a few years ago and no one had an answer then, thanks!
From post#4 above:

Last edited:
Great, guess my memory is going already.

Re: Arcing Conneictions

While the female frequently is a little less arched or carbonized, carbon don't conduct well so such a connection should be looked at if not cleaned, sprayed in coating the bright work, if not replaced.

Getting back to the main concept, it's all about surface area for current to flow. A pin that's not spread too well won't conduct that well due to surface area in conctact with the connector. Same thing that happens when you hot patch as that plug is removed. Once damage is done, either that carbon residue or even arching damage done don't conduct that well by way of surface area now left in contact for the next connection. "Urr, hot patching bad..., ok now?"

At times esecially after a hot patch on a Socapex plug, you can do some work to them - and I tend to white paint marker over the carbon deposits what was cleaned at the tip so as to say - it's ok. What was treated is also coated with electrical contact cleaner with lubricant after done. I tend to prefer fine grit fiber wheel over a rifle cleaning brush - though I have a full cleaning kit left over from the military days. Brass brushes while soft still tend to scratch the heck out of a pin or socket unless soft enough - and often they are not. Solves the cleaning problem but once the pin or socket is scratched too hard, you go back to the same problem you had before with lack of surface area in contact. Hmm. say a 36 grit sandpaper out of metal verses a 400 grit sandpaper out of metal - which would have a better surface contact in conducting?

Scratch the heck out of your pin or socket and I don't think even with Craig's copper impregnated deoxident you are doing a favor to anything. If you do a bristle brush, needs to be very soft, and if soft while it will shine up the bright work, it won't solve an arching problem in less surface contact. Still though for light work, and assuming a .25" size of stage pin, a .227 M-16/AR-15 type rifle cleaning brush should work if you clip away the tip that is there for wrapping and doesn't have bristles. This granted, you clip away the tip and the bristles fall apart a bit easier. McMaster should stock such brushes and perhaps a better end cleaning brass brush than a rifle one. This for cleaning carbon when arching isn't present. While often the carbon will be at the tip, the brass bristles won't on a rifle cleaning brush clean much inside it.

Got real problems with the Pinsplitter II versions currently on the market - and pissed someone stole my Version I. I'm told that the reason for making them out of plastic now is due to someone electricuting themselves with an aluminum version. Find it doubtful this stage lore. The newer version does a good job for 20A plugs in spreading and gapping them, but is almost useless for 60A plugs. More important is that the bristles are too abrasive on male pins cleaned. They scratch the heck out of them - sort of like the 36 grit sandpaper analogy above. That's clean but won't conduct well. I would recommend to anyone that buys a modern pinsplitter that you before use clamp it into a bench vise and either install some 1/4" pencil stock or the shaft of a cut off 1/4" long bolt into your drill and drill the heck out of that brass brush on the pinsplitter so it won't be as agressive. Current Pinsplitter II's are very poorly designed and far too rough on pins.

At work, I tend to use 1/4" soft fiber dremmel tool wheels for work on stage pin sockets - rare but at times necessary. Leko department stocks a roll of 1" wide Chrocus Cloth for working on pins after that for the male side. Clamp the plug in a vise and brighten up that pin. After either, 7437k15 from McMaster Carr is always used after blowing off the surface to coat the bright work. I use it on 2K moving lamps thru 5Kw Fresnel sockets and lamps, and all plugs surfaced.

At a certain point though all plugs or sockets are too damaged and even if cleaned wouldn't have a good surface area. Stuff with big blobs of weld, or too pitted to provide a good surface area. That or when more cost effective to just replace such as on VL-3K or Mac2K XB fixtures. G-9.5 sockets are not worth fixing as with at a certain point stage pin or Soco sockets that get too warn out to fix. Their sockets stretch out at times with use and cleaning will buff it up, but if on the entire socket as opposed to the tip, what cleaning was done will not allow future good contact. Carbon can be cleaned but if arching down the socket or other problems, you cannot save it.

Note to self, time for the annual 60A stage pin cable and fixture re-tightening. A every year type of thing with cable settling and expansion & contraction. Can also see that with 30A plugs. CamLoc type plugs if tensioned with torque wrench properly set - normally not. That is if you use a calibrated torque wrench for those terminals. That could also be a source for heating up even to the surface of the pin. Were the screws tensioned properly? At times a problem on a plug or socket could be internal. Rattle test on a twist or Edison plug often works, but on stage pin, they often rattle. Loose terminals caused the problem? Often a good idea to if one sees a problem to be suspect about everything local to that problem = meaning you also open up the plug and check that it was furreled, crimped, flagged properly. Even if not loose in screw, did the screw penetrate the ferrule in cutting conductors thus more resistance? Did they use a double ferrule for 16ga wire in a 12ga ferrule or at least bend the wire back on itself to make it 13 gauge and not as easily cut thru?

If a problem with the outer part of the plug, one should open up the inner part of the plug so as to see if damage there or the actual cause of the problem. That includes not using a circuit in this case that has a panel mount until school maintinence or the staff can open up the box in ensuring connections to the socket were not also effected.

Got a bad plug... probably a bad socket also.

Hot to fix it important in really fixing it.

After that, check the internal wiring also in that it could have been the cause and or effected by it.

I would flag any gear and circuits with problems for non-use until properly inspected and replaced or fixed. Would also seriously work on any modern pinsplitter brushes and still open the plug to test tension and inspect how it was wired.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back