Control/Dimming Are ETC Unison dimmers and Leviton/NSI iSeries compatible

yardape

We have an older ETC Unison dimmer rack and several of the power cubes have lost one of the two channels. For now, we just swap the module with the bad power cube with a module with a good power cube. New power cubes cost $100-$150. But I am seeing new Leviton iSeries modules for under $10 each. Are they compatible? They look very much the same. But I can't find any discussion on CB or other sites where anyone has discussed it. I tried calling Leviton and was on hold for ever. And I don't want to call ETC and ask if I can shove a competitors module into their racks. Has anyone tried this?

They are impossible to interchange. The Colortran i96e series is physically about 3/4" wider and 1 1/2" deeper than the ETC D20.
See comparison photos below. The Colortran module is the gray one.

depth offset.JPGrear offset.JPGpower in connector.JPGsignal connector.JPG

Look for used D20 modules on eBay.

As groups retire touring racks and do relay module swaps as they upgrade from tungsten to LED, there is a surplus of fair-condition D20's on the used market. The demand for D20's is only shrinking so as the used market is flooded with these modules, the prices are only coming down.

For that matter, you could call your local dealers and see if they've torn any systems out recently and have a bunch of modules taking up space in their shop they'd like to make disappear. Worst thing that happens is they say no, or they have a higher price than you'd like to pay.

Thanks for the reply. Yes, I have looked at the used D20 modules and the used Q141 cubes. But they typically look very well used. So I was then thinking they are cheaper than new, but I would have to replace them soon. So would there be a cost savings?

Look for used D20 modules on eBay.

As groups retire touring racks and do relay module swaps as they upgrade from tungsten to LED, there is a surplus of fair-condition D20's on the used market. The demand for D20's is only shrinking so as the used market is flooded with these modules, the prices are only coming down.

For that matter, you could call your local dealers and see if they've torn any systems out recently and have a bunch of modules taking up space in their shop they'd like to make disappear. Worst thing that happens is they say no, or they have a higher price than you'd like to pay.
Thanks for the reply. I have looked at used on eBay. But did not want to pay half price if I have to replace them twice as often. No net savings but more work. But if I could get them real cheap, that would be different.

Yes, I have looked at the used D20 modules and the used Q141 cubes. But they typically look very well used. So I was then thinking they are cheaper than new, but I would have to replace them soon. So would there be a cost savings?
Well, at least these have a 30 day warranty. I would probably trust them more than fire-sale power cubes.

Thanks for the reply and the pics. Definitely they are not interchangeable. But it is odd they are so similar in design and layout, but different sizes.
Not all that odd, considering both were designed by the same person. Hint: he also had a hand in a somewhat popular ERS fixture back in the day. And Strand-Century's CD80.

Thanks for the reply. I have looked at used on eBay. But did not want to pay half price if I have to replace them twice as often. No net savings but more work. But if I could get them real cheap, that would be different.
Neither appearance nor age is a determinant factor when an SSR will fail. Years ago, I did a permanent architectural install with about 500 dimmers. Failures were: first year, zero. Second year, replaced 4 modules. Third year, one. Fourth year, zero. Fifth year, one. I left, but after several renovations, parts of the original system are still operating fine. It turned thirty last October.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back