Ariel Davis Dimmer Distro

Um, if it's completely legal in the states to combine N&E, then it's a wonder you don't lose more people to electrical deaths. It also UTTERLY defeats the purpose of a MEN system... It will probably also be very noisy...

Electricity always takes the quickest path to the earth, if Earth and Neutral are combined together and grounded properly using a sufficiently large grounding rod then the copper will always have less resistance then a person and won't electrocute anyone. A lot of systems, especially in remote area's use a single wire system where power is provided by a single wire and then earth is used as a neutral conductor. Granted commercial applications can be quite a bit different...

Last edited:
Electricity always takes the quickest path to the earth, if Earth and Neutral are combined together and grounded properly using a sufficiently large grounding rod then the copper will always have less resistance then a person and won't electrocute anyone. A lot of systems, especially in remote area's use a single wire system where power is provided by a single wire and then earth is used as a neutral conductor. Granted commercial applications can be quite a bit different...

The grounding conductor serves one purpose only, and that is not to bring the electricity back to the ground. That purpose is to trigger the Overcurrent Protection Device when a short or ground fault occurs in an electrical system. Also, contrary to "conventional wisdom", electricity does not take the path of least resistance. It takes all available paths.

I would recommend that you spend some time studying Article 250 of the NEC, which covers grounding, and perhaps take a course in grounding. I would recommend Mike Holt's course on Grounding vs. Bonding. I took his course at the Electric West convention in February, and I found it very informative.

Oh by the way, the dimmer that is pictured was for it's time, 1951 thru approximately 1962, the hottest "state of the art" dimmer of it's kind. I worked for the Ariel Davis factory the summer that I was 16 (1956). My high school and my church had that same system.
I just built a dimmer system for Florida Southern College, that replace a console containing three of those 6 output autotransformers. The system was built in 1953 and was still working in perfect order.
Yes, it is dumpster material, but it is also easy to make fun of equipment that was built before you were born. When it was in it's prime, It was a lot easier to control six 2400 watt dimmers with those sliders than to use the big rotary handles.

Oh by the way, the dimmer that is pictured was for it's time, 1951 thru approximately 1962, the hottest "state of the art" dimmer of it's kind. I worked for the Ariel Davis factory the summer that I was 16 (1956). My high school and my church had that same system.
I just built a dimmer system for Florida Southern College, that replace a console containing three of those 6 output autotransformers. The system was built in 1953 and was still working in perfect order.
Yes, it is dumpster material, but it is also easy to make fun of equipment that was built before you were born. When it was in it's prime, It was a lot easier to control six 2400 watt dimmers with those sliders than to use the big rotary handles.

Guys, I'm sorry for the following blunt comment:

Can we please stop wasting time over a completely obsolete piece of junk that has undergone a completely ill-advised and unsafe rewiring, and should be in the dumpster in the next 10 seconds? I feel like this thread has stolen an hour of my life that I can never recover!

Surely we have bigger fish to fry!

Get rid of that Frankenstein thing, now!!

ST

Sorry for the confusion, 3 phase, 4 wire, and we're pulling 120V out of it one way or another. How it is exactly wired, I do not know. My electrician took care of it, it worked, and we didn't ask questions. I'm sure it's wired properly; for the amount of money we spent getting the feed from the transformer, he certainly would not skimp on the quality of his wiring job. He's an extremely safe electrician who would rather yell at us and tell us we're crazy than do something under pressure.

With today's copper prices, that "thing" is worth more today than any time in the past forty years.

With today's copper prices, that "thing" is worth more today than any time in the past forty years.

haha, true tale!

My boss found some old 6 Channel Analog Dimmer packs somewhere...they are from the 1970's and are fried all to hell (someone but 15 amp fuses in where 10 amps were specified then proceeded to overload it.) He still wants to fix them and use them...I don't know why. We don't need them...we have 192 Stand C-80 Dimmers :)

Sorry for the confusion, 3 phase, 4 wire, and we're pulling 120V out of it one way or another.

I agree with ST - throw it out NOW:!:

As you describe it, it is using a common neutral/ground. If that connection through the plug was ever flaky or bad, someone WILL likely get killed.

Just because something is OK when permanently wired doesn't make it safe (or legal) with a plug in the middle.

-Fred

Last edited:
Sorry for the confusion, 3 phase, 4 wire, and we're pulling 120V out of it one way or another.

3 phase, 4 wire is intended for powering three phase motors on industrial machinery. It was never intended for providing 120 volt power. If you intend to continue using this piece of equipment, it needs to be converted to either a single phase, 4 wire service, or a three phase 5 wire service. As it is currently set up, this piece of equipment is inherently unsafe, and should be taken out of service immediately.

One other thing. If your electrician thinks this set-up is acceptable for running 120 volt branch circuits, you need to think about getting another electrician.

Last edited:
I thought some might enjoy the brochure advertising the device in question when it was new.
The Davis Consolette. (Use of the suffix "-ette" used to be quite popular: leatherette, dinette, portolet.)
DavisConsolette.jpg
LIGHTING ARTISTRY with ARIELITE® "par excellence", 1960-1961 Edition, Ariel Davis Manufacturing Company, ©1960.

The Davis Jr. was a more "portable" version, offering similar functionality at reduced capacity.
DavisJr.jpg
If only stagehands looked like that today! Va-va-va-voom!:)

Last edited:
Thank you Derek, I am 69 years old, worked for Ariel Davis the summer I was 16, born and raised in Salt Lake City, Utah, and used nothing but Ariel Davis dimmers during all of my young life, until mid twenties. I had never heard of, or seen a Davis Jr. Dimmer pack. Wow! what enlightenment. I would love to know how many of those things were ever built

Tom Johnson
Florida's Most Honored Community Theatre

I thought you'd like that, Tom. As for how many units of the Davis Jr. dimmer were sold, I doubt very many. After all, it incorporated a newfangled material--fiberglass!

For posterity, some more information, from the SML archives:
NP> Can anyone tell me the manufacturer and model?

Because I am slow to respond to e-mail, I note that the instrument has
already been identified as one of Major's EXAL series ellipsoidals,
but I thought I'd muse a little about Major, Ariel Davis, Electro
Controls, and Major Control Devices on the outside chance that
somebody out there would enjoy the historical wanderings.

My lawyer insists I add that anything said here is my opinion and is
not intended as an accolade or perjorative to any person, business or
device....

The Major corporation was begun by Roscoe Major in the early 1900's.
The earliest address I found for them was 4603 West Fullerton Avenue
in Chicago, but they moved to newer and better facilities out in
Crystal Lake Illinois in the mid 60's. When I was involved in their
equipment, Father Major's sons Frank and Ross ran the operation.
Interestingly, the bread and butter of their business was
manufacturing reflectors for traffic signal lights, which was a
natural extension of their capability to spin and hydroform aluminum
reflectors and apply the highly reflective ALZAK coating found in
theatrical instruments.

The EXAL series of ellipsoidals and fresnels were so named because of
the body panels made of extruded aluminum, sporting an anodized rather
than painted surface. At the time, the design was quite advanced and,
as Mr. Price experienced, they enjoy (or suffer) a long life span.

Ariel Davis the man formed the Ariel Davis Manufacturing company soon
after World War II, although I am at this writing too lazy to rummage
around in the back room to find early documentation. One of my
favorite stories about Ariel is that the design for his "Davis Dimmer"
came to him in a dream one night! That dimmer was a significant step
forward in that six slider taps could control six different 20 amp
circuits of light from one very large autotransformer coil inside the
unit. The units were very durable and we had two or three units in our
rental stock for several years. Although Ariel was an imaginative and
capable engineer, he was not an effective businessman and his company
was sold to a management team that brought more profit out of the
organization. Originally, the new owners operated under "Ariel Davis
Manufacturing Company, exclusive distributors for Electro Controls"
and later reversed the emphasis and ultimately dropped the references
to Ariel Davis although Electro Controls continued to manufacture the
Davis Dimmer and Ariel's innovative patch panel called the
"Quick-Connect."

I sold Electro Controls' equipment throughout the '70s and enjoyed the
experience, although I frequently felt like the "Hillbilly cousin" at
USITT, NAB and ATA trade shows when I saw the considerably more
interesting and glitzier displays from other manufacturers in the
industry.

The Parellipsphere was an attempt at an entirely new luminaire,
intending to combine the desirable optical characteristics of
parabolic, ellipsoid and spherical reflectors while minimizing the
inherent problems of each. To some the instrument was similar to
the Studebaker automobiles, being simply ahead of their technology,
while to others it was a dreadful pariah. Because it was a popular art
form at the time, I created a string art wall hanging of the intricate
optical path of light rays inside the Parellipshere but it was
abandoned in one of the many subsequent relocations.

The Major Corporation dissolved in the late 1970's but some of the
engineers picked up some of the pieces to form Major Control Devices,
hoping to develop the expanding market for electronic dimmers. The
management team the operated Electro Controls sold the theatrical
manufacturing operation to Major Control Devices in the early 1980's
and the entire mixture was subsequently purchased by Strand a few
years later.
More about how Ariel Davis Manufacturing became Electrol Controls is in the footnote in the wiki article Electro Controls. If we don't start writing this history down, it's going to be lost forever, as so much already has.

Thank you Derek for that piece. The last part answered something that has been driving me mad, as I have read the many threads on CB.
Explanation: for five years I travelled with a number of ice skating shows. I would build the skating rink on theatre stages for small shows that visited medium sized cities in minor markets. I was always a day ahead of the show, allowing time to build ice. Once I had the retaining floor and chilling coils down and was making ice, I would have a bit of time between every spraying. I loved to wander around the theatre and see what type of lighting and sound equipment they had. In turn, I could inform the lighting person what type of board he had to work on, when he would arrive early on the morning of the show. Needless to say I ran into some very interesting control boards. In Redding California, I found an older 2 scene preset board that I was not at all familiar with. It had Major, Salt Lake City, Utah. Having been born and raised in SLC, I thought that I knew all of the Salt Lake dimmer manufactures. The thing that was even more troubling was the fact that It had all the smackings of an Ariel Davis/Electro Control product.
In following the many valuable theads on CB, everything that mentioned "Major" was about equipment, that surely wasn't from Salt Lake.
The attachment that you included in your post, explains that really well.

Tom Johnson
Florida's Most Honored Community Theatre

Some links in this thread to photos have become broken, so I'm giving them life again. Photos are of our Electro Controls slide-patch system, and our Electro Controls "portable" dimmer system. "Portable" in quotes because it weighs about 200lbs.

The slide-patch system was gutted during a renovation in 2008, but the portable dimmer system is still kickin'. We never use it, but for the greater good one of these days it should be dismantled for the greater good of humanity. Last I saw it, both the slide-patch and the portable pack were sitting on a pallet somewhere in the dark depths of the basement.

Little Theatre Renovation by smoke-test, on Flickr

The gutting of the slide-patch system was part of a $65,000 renovation of our "Little Theatre". Here are some before/during/after photos of that renovation. Getting rid of that piece of history was definitely necessary for us to advance our the quality of our events. Now, we're selling out cabaret dinner-and-a-concert performances every few weeks. Only seats ~85 people in that configuration, so it's not a big money maker, but it's fun, makes us a little dough, gives the students a chance to design their own lighting, and helps bring in new audiences.

You have no idea how hard it is convincing a school district to tear out the seats from their theatre and go with portable seating. Of all of the work I did on this project, that was my hardest task -- convincing them to spend $20k on new seats. Now they look back at it as one of the best decisions they've made.

(by the way, thanks to Spencer Lyons @ ETC for lending me the Selador fixtures used for Metamorphoses, two of which are Vivid-R's that are in use below the surface of the water through some crafty scenic design)

Pre-renovation. by smoke-test, on Flickr

Metamorphoses by smoke-test, on Flickr

Copper Box by smoke-test, on Flickr

Hear, hear, Dramatech! Ran lots of shows on a plant having four of these things side-by-side. Very easy to do dimouts with a yardstick! And if you're on a budget, it ain't "dumpster material" if it works and does the job.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back