Audience blinding & spotlight options

Regina

Hi there, I'm looking to impress the directors with some new additions/techniques, as I am new to lighting/tech. I work with a 300 seater black box theatre (tiered seating, gantry etc) and we're putting on a show of legally blonde this spring.

My first question is regarding spotlights, there are none installed. The theatre is very tightly packed (regarding floor space, though 'height space' is ample), there is no space either side of the seating area or at the back, as the seating is retractable. The gantry is virtually in the ceiling with a barred window. I was curious whether there are any alternatives like table top follow spots that could be directed through the gantry window. I have worked with follow spots where the user is harnessed in with the light, would these be available to hire? So basically are follow spots a possible idea, or are they not achievable in this type of theatre? Sorry for my poor description..

My second question is regarding audience blinding, I have never heard of this but a cast member suggested it to me and I looked into it briefly. At the end of the act is the big song and the main actress does an iconic 'jump' blah blah blah.. Basically what I wanted to do was 'freeze' the jump in the air by flashing a light so the shape stays in their head so to speak, and once this has worn off, the curtain has shut so it makes it very dramatic.Would a strobe light do the trick? Which direction could I point it? Would doing this cause the audience to continue seeing the image in their head whilst the curtain is shutting? If you understand what I want to achieve, how could I do this if it's possible? And is it safe to do to the audience as I am potentially stunning them! (from what I gathered)

This school does have very large budgets for their shows, so money shouldn't effect what I could achieve. I am new to lighting/tech as I picked it up as I went when doing basic lighting as a HS student at a previous school, so basic tech language would be useful. Thanks for helping (if you can understand me!) :)

Regarding the strobe, in a small black box type theatre, one Martin Atomic 3000 pointing at the audience should do the trick. If you hit that for about a second, it will work sort of like what you are trying to achieve. By the time the audiences vision returns, the curtain will be in.

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't blind your audience. We hate it when you do. It hurts our eyes.

Sincerely,

An oft-times Audience Member.

I'd agree with DELO, even if it does it's job and freezes that image in your head, I hate it. If I'm at a rock concert I can accept it, but I go to a musical for song and dance and glitzy flashy colors etc.

But if you're going to, and have the space/fixtures, you can do it with almost anything. Strobes flash fast and bright, but getting flashed by an ERS, or PAR will produce similar effects.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Back