Audio Out Ports on a PC

can you choose what programs get sent thru what ports?

like my Hp has 2 ports on it, and i would like to send itunes out of one and window media player out of the second port. is that possible?

thanks!

That depends, I personally have a hp laptop with two headphone jacks, I would not be able to output different audio on each because they are hard wired together. On the other hand a computer with a sound card or multi-channel integrated sound can output different sound per port. On software, It is possible. Just tested it and here's how:
FYI: I am running vista and i have a realtek chipset.
1. I started by opening songbird and playing a track
2. Then I plugged in an HDMI cable to my TV
3. Then I switched my default output device to digital in the realtek driver software (but I think it can be done under sound in the control panel).
4. Lastly I opened up Windows media player and started playing another track.
The result is that I have one track playing on my computer speakers and one on my TV.​
Hopes this helps you, though in this case obviously you would want some sort of a DAC that supported HDMI if this were a long term solution. There is probably an easier way to go about this.

Try going into settings of each of the programs, then try to find audio properties. There should be an output selection in each of the programs, where you will be able to choose which program goes to which output.

Itunes: Will have to work out the default audio output.

WMP: Tools>>Options>>Devices. Click Speakers>>Properties. Then in the drop down menu you should have all your audio outputs.

WMP allows you to change the output device so change that to the non-default windows audio device. It will run off of that, and Itunes will run off of the default audio device.

Let me know if you have any questions!

Last edited:
Unfortunatly with your PC both of the audio out ports are hardwired together, as i am assuming it is a stock HP this would mean that your audio ports will send out of both and you really have no other controll than to have either A) a seperate audio card than your motherboard, or B) two seperate audio cards on your pc. I am currently running something similar to what you are trying to do. I have an ASIO Audiofire box connected through firewire acting as a seperate audio card and i also have the onboard sound device through the pc running seperatly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back