Australian Connections

Myself and another techie would shout australian slang/insults at each other from across campus for the last few months of school...
What australian slang? Here's a good one, do you have any idea how many meanings the word crook has in Australia.
E.g The Crook, crook, crook was crook. Actually means something in Australia.
It can be translated to mean "The unpleasant incompetent thief was ill."

What australian slang? Here's a good one, do you have any idea how many meanings the word crook has in Australia.
E.g The Crook, crook, crook was crook. Actually means something in Australia.
It can be translated to mean "The unpleasant incompetent thief was ill."

No wonder they offer classes on your culture. That's impressive. Here in the good old US, the only word the kids can use that well starts with F and ends up being censored.

anyway (HIJACKERS)

the company i am looking at is showtech, a person told me they are always looking to build their crew base up. so i have an email address to email, but nothing to say, so if you wouldn't mind, can we please stick to the topic

Sorry Hughsie, first you need a resume. I guess you have that. Then you need to approach them with a covering letter which realistically none of us can write for you.
You have to tell them you want a job and what you can offer them. Tell them why they should employ you and don't tell them it's because you want a job. What are your skills. Tell them what you have done before and try to stres stuff you have done outside school. Offer to help out as a volunteer in the store although given Australian workers comp and liability laws it might be a problem. Ask them if they could possibly give you a period of work experience. Get a teacher to back you up so you can quote them in your e-mail.
Stress how keen you are to work in the industry.
Remember though, if you get taken on you are going to load and unload trucks sweep the floor and make coffee for a long time. Showtech are if I remember rightly largely a crew company (i could be wrong) which means that is mostly what you'll do on the job anyway.

Sorry Hughesie... hijacking is just so much fun... especially with you guys down under.

Let me repeat a point that's been said before... I would definitely either snail mail a hard copy of your resume or go in person. Sending an e-mail assumes the person is going to read the e-mail. It's also REALLY easy to just delete an e-mail without paying any attention to it at all. A hard copy you have to pick up and move it over to the trash. It also feels like you went to more work to mail a formal letter. A formal resume on nice paper with a really nice looking format is going to draw attention. In person with a resume and portfolio of your work under you arm is even better. It's really hard to delete or throw away a real person standing in front of you. It also shows that you cared enough to go out of your way to come down to the shop, as opposed to spending 5 minutes writing and e-mail.

I think it's really important that you avoid the e-mail. The C.B. community is unusual in that we are all cyber-geeks... but even here you'll note that must of us are under 40. There are a LOT of old crusty TD's out there who don't know a lot about computers and just don't use them much. There are also a lot of TD's who just don't have time to spend on their e-mail so it's a quick thing they've been told by the management they have to check every day. Then there are the people who get a lot of junk mail. Any way you look at it, there are a lot of people reading their e-mail with one finger on the delete button. A hand addressed letter in the mail with a really professional looking resume will get attention.

ok, i will try that

thanks, should i trust you

you don't belive in the metric system *hum*

I The C.B. community is unusual in that we are all cyber-geeks... but even here you'll note that must of us are under 40.

Hey I'm 55, oh wait I just had another birthday Oh God I'm 56. And I think I resent cybergeek. I don't spend more than eight or twelve hours a day on the computer. Unless someone actually wants me to work for a living.

Hey I'm 55, oh wait I just had another birthday Oh God I'm 56. And I think I resent cybergeek. I don't spend more than eight or twelve hours a day on the computer. Unless someone actually wants me to work for a living.

Look out buddy... you are quickly moving from Cybergeek to Cyber Senior.

Just Imagine the nursing home of the future... Tuesday isn't bingo night it's Warcraft night!

Frighteningly enough that almost sounds attractive.

Cyber Senior?

OK I can live with that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back