Back to School: What Is It?

Having acquired certain bad habits while learning industrial... uh... skills in high school, I became acquainted with both of the items shown.

They were rendered obsolete 25 years later.

MY GOD!!! It's THE FIRST "Question of THE DAY" since February!!!
Seriously! Aren't people taught how to draft any more?

PS: I still have these items. Some are leftovers from my grandfather.

It's been a week, @derekleffew

Can we tell the kids what we Ye Olde Folks know?

I find this statement confusing. Does Sketchup not run on a computer? Does it not aid you in designing things?
And I'd assert that if one really needs the features of SolidWorks, AutoDesk, or Nemetschek VectorWorks, SketchUp is not a substitute.

The LD from the shop I managed for 20+ years teaches all of those, along with a couple that are more aviation/aerospace-centric.

It's been a week, @derekleffew

Can we tell the kids what we Ye Olde Folks know?
One more hint, the obfuscated expendable from post#1:

IMG_0866.jpg

Then let the floodgates open. Misteaks for everyone.

One more hint, the obfuscated expendable from post#1:

View attachment 24825
Then let the floodgates open. Misteaks for everyone.
I'll take my Misteak medium-rare, thank you!

Now they know part of the solution; the 2nd item, after Emoji creation, will be the likely stump.

Well while we’re on the topic of stationary and office supplies.

When you’re all done drafting, you can collate with this bad boy.

Attachments

• IMG_5671.jpeg
    IMG_5671.jpeg
    691.2 KB · Views: 88
  • IMG_5672.jpeg
    IMG_5672.jpeg
    821.7 KB · Views: 81
  • IMG_5674.jpeg
    IMG_5674.jpeg
    515.9 KB · Views: 84
My dad's best friend growing up engineered prestressed concrete for a living, so I've had my hands on one before.

Power eraser for drafting.

Side question: what is a good resource to learn hand drafting? (Yes, I know CAD has largely replaced it but it’s a skill I’ve wished I had surprisingly often…)

Side question: what is a good resource to learn hand drafting? (Yes, I know CAD has largely replaced it but it’s a skill I’ve wished I had surprisingly often…)
My quick guess is there are old black and white "mechanical drawing" educational movies now on YooToob. Might find a drafting or mech drawing text book at a garage sale or used book store, too.

And the "emoticon designer" is an Eraser Shield, used to cover the lines you don't want the electric eraser to erase.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back