Bad Spansets

LavaASU

Hey Guys!

I was wondering if anyone in Phoenix has any damaged/old/retired for whatever reason Spansets that they're throwing out. I am working on an engineering team developing sustainable building materials and we want to try polyester fibers (the inner part of a spanset) as a strengthening component for one of our prototypes. I figure since the goal is sustainable materials it would impress the professor if we are as sustainable as possible in our prototyping (ex reusing things that would otherwise wind up in a landfill).

Oh, and no, this is not the strangest thing I've had to source for this project :).

Good luck in your quest. But any responsible rigger will destroy, as in cut up in little pieces, any rope, sling, or harness before disposal. I'd contact one of the larger entertainment rigging companies: Branam, Kish, Stage Rigging, Sapsis, et al. Most have gone to GAC flex (or similar) however.

How long do you need the fibers? And don't say, "Oh, just a couple of weeks." :rimshot: A home center might sell small amounts of the poly fibers sometimes used to reinforce concrete, but those are rather short.

I was planning on trying 4 to 6" pieces for one thing (mixed into the mixture) and 2 or 4' for another (criss-crossing the surface of the composite tiles) . The idea is to reinforce a plywood like composite material we're developing. And no, gac flex won't work (obviously).

Oh yes still touring. I'm still waiting to hear back on a spanset that sounds like what you need. If the time frame works out (I would expect it to) I'll PM you.

And just for anyone wondering about Derek's post on destroying bad hardware. Being cut into 4 6" sections with the rest being cut into 2-4' sections makes it unusable for rigging, which is pretty much the point of destroying rigging hardware. I mean you're supposed to destroy critically damaged truss too, but they make great frames for tour BBQ's.

I'd throw out the fact that someone's already doing some epically wrong rigging if they can figure out how to use a spanset thats cut even once for rigging purposes...

Oh, and I think we need a pic of the truss turned into barbeque holder :)

I can probably give you a few laying around the shop that I can't use anymore, probably 3' or 4' spans. We usually toss them when they're nfg, or one of my guys is a rock climber, he repurposes them somehow for that. i don't know **** about rock climbing though, so for all i know maybe he just uses them to hold a sandwich while he climbs...

PM me and I'll see what I can dig up, I need to clean up my office a bit anyways...

I'd throw out the fact that someone's already doing some epically wrong rigging if they can figure out how to use a spanset thats cut even once for rigging purposes...

Oh, and I think we need a pic of the truss turned into barbeque holder :)

It would seem your imagination is not as strong as some people's stupidity. That's why we have to thoroughly destroy all rigging materials.

I'm actually having trouble finding a picture of a truss grill that I like, but here's one the day we installed the grill with smoker box into the truss. The final product is really nice, but the unit that has it is something like 5,000 miles away from me currently.

39185_539074114826_6290588_n.jpg

It would seem your imagination is not as strong as some people's stupidity. That's why we have to thoroughly destroy all rigging materials.
View attachment 7903

Oh, I didn't say it can't be done ;-). I said it'd have to be rigged epically wrong for them to be able to.

That said I wish our lab had destructive testing equipment strong enough to test rigging gear-- I could have some fun with that!

I have a friend that uses his retired ones for climbing as well-- that said I'm not sure I'd trust my life on something retired because it's unsafe (yes, I know a human weighs a lot less than arena rigs, but still)!

Have you checked with Arizona Wire Rope & Rigging? They also do destructive testing there (which I had the good fortune of being able to observe).

we recently decomisioned a set of spansets I'll see if we have any to spare. I know they want to keep one as an educational tool for our general safety class (its now a requirement for new stagehands, union is lacking in training and we are stepping up)

Hey gang-- sorry for sorta disappearing-- slammed at the moment. Thanks anyway Brett-- though should we be concerned that they're still using the bad one?

I should mention I'm at LDI so if anyone whos attending has any (that they could bring if they haven't left yet or if they live here) that would work too. And being cut into pieces works fine for what I'm doing :). I'd prefer if you leave the jacket on the pieces so I don't end up with a giant hairball though. I promise I'm not trying to use pieces for rigging or any other safety critical use! Closest to rigging would be I figured if I have extra I'd try to glue/tie one end of a 6" piece so it'll stay together enough that I can pass it around at our rigging classes for people to see whats inside of them.

I knew someone would ask. I'm being told I have to keep it in inventory. That doesn't mean I have to remove the marks highlighting the questionable area or than I have to use it, just that I can't get rid of it...

I doubt 6' rated ones were $6 (though not impossible of course), but the crane industry (purple/green) tend to be between 25 and 50 percent cheaper than black stage ones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back