Band Jam ideas for between sets?

flash1322

Hey guys My town is having a band jam and we are trying to figure out something to put between sets we have about 15-20 min between each band and we are trying to find something to keep the audience entertained. We really don't have any live acts willing to do it so we were thinking of just having a mix of songs set up, if this is the best option any recommendations on songs. We will be having 3-5 bands

Thanks,

Ryan Williams

A comedian, magician, juggler, clown, or countless other "in-one" variety acts?

I don't know if you will be using a video screen or anything, but I have had good luck with just showing music videos as time-wasters. You would want to be sure that you got the rights to show them, though.

Recently I had the same dilemma. I found an artist who rapped over an MP3. he was really good, clean and entertaining. Also, believe it or not...The Macarena, Cha Cha Slide and Hokey Pokey got the crowd up on their feet. Did I mention this was a high school event where kids are usually too cool for that sort of thing? It worked and that's what they remember.

Is this a battle of the bands type of setup or is it a festival type of setup? Is there somewhere for the audience to go during changeovers (Outside to smoke, get more beer, etc...)

Also, is this a "Jam band" (Phish, Disco Biscuits) or a few bands "jamming"?

If the bands sets are 45 min to an hour long you don't really need to entertain them. Put on some tunes that are similar to the bands that are playing and roll with that. The audience will be spending their time waiting in line for the bathroom, bar, or trying to get in/out to smoke.

I don't want this thread to turn into a "how to run a festival", but a few pointers if you have not played this game before....
-Try to keep backline consistant. Make all the bands use the same amps and the same kit. Small modifications can be made, but you don't want to be swapping amps and kits all night long. Standardize a stage layout and send it to all the bands and have them respond with any modifications. DI and mic all amps. If you can not avoid swapping kits, try to get rolling drum risers and another set of mics for the 2nd riser if possible. Really, all you should be doing is having them plug in, quick level/monitor check, and roll. The less things you have to roll on/off the better.

Most bands are fine with using a common backline. Your local backline company should be able to help you pick the most rider friendly gear possible for the type of bands that are coming in.

We really don't have any live acts willing to do it so we were thinking of just having a mix of songs set up, if this is the best option any recommendations on songs.
Those that are similar to the musical styles of the bands and that are either public domain, originals or ones for which you have rights for public performance. ;)

Thanks for all the tips guys the show went down great. We found a kid from one of the bands to keep the audience entertained during the changes.

Glad to hear that it went well!

Footer's post should be a sticky on "how to run a festival". I was about to write virtually the same thing as I started reading this thread. I have done FOH at lots of these events and have turned down the job where they want to do it "their way". Almost without fail "their way" turns into a 4-5 hour marathon event that nobody enjoys or stays around to listen. 4-5 hours of high school bands - 1 flag!!! Footer's way - 6 flags!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back