Band musician new to lighting.

Ted O

Hello, controlboothers!

I'm totally new to lighting (well, I did a little lights in college, but that was a long time ago, so it's safe to think of me as a total n00b :) ). Now I'm a musician in a classic rock band, Suicide Poodles in the South San Francisco Bay area. Because of our casual nature, we don't tend to get professional sound & light techs so, as band manager, I also get to bring these people up to speed on how all the gear works, which means I have to become fairly adept with it, myself.

Our lights consist of a single (soon to be 2, possibly 3) LED Bright Packs -- the Neo-Neon SRLS-7011, which I like a lot as a "my first lights" package -- and what has been dubbed "the world's most hated DMX controller", a Behringer Eurolight LC2412. While I can see how some gripe that it's overly complicated and, in ways, a bit backwards, my lack of experience doesn't leave me anything to compare it to so, once I got over the initial "how do I even get any of the lights to come on?!?!" learning-hump (you have to set-up/program the DMX channels and associate them with sliders), it didn't seem so bad. Anyway, I like all of the band's other Behringer gear, so I'm willing to cut them a little slack here. Maybe if I ever get my hands on a "good" DMX board to see just how wonderful it can be, I'll change my mind but, for now, for our needs, on our budget, this rig is going to work out just fine.

(Note: if you plan to connect the two, you also need a DMX-5pin to 3-pin(XLR) adapter. $5 on Amazon.)

So, likely my questions will be of the "how come I can't get it to do what I want?" variety. I'm not sure how much I'll be able to contribute in terms of answers, but I'll do my best.

See you all in the booth!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back