Conventional Fixtures Bardwell McAllister Fresnel on American Pickers

Les

Have any of you seen that new show called American Pickers? I think it's on the History channel or maybe Discovery.

Anyway, I saw an episode today where they dug an old, rusty Bardwell McAllister 6" fresnel on a boom stand out of a shed somewhere in the upper midwest. It was so rusty that they shook it and flakes of rust fell out of the back of it. They paid $150 for the thing, and valued it at $300!

Pretty sure I've seen similar fresnels on ebay but in much better condition for about the same price, if not cheaper.

Have any of you seen that new show called American Pickers? I think it's on the History channel or maybe Discovery.

Anyway, I saw an episode today where they dug an old, rusty Bardwell McAllister 6" fresnel on a boom stand out of a shed somewhere in the upper midwest. It was so rusty that they shook it and flakes of rust fell out of the back of it. They paid $150 for the thing, and valued it at $300!

Pretty sure I've seen similar fresnels on ebay but in much better condition for about the same price, if not cheaper.

yeah i watch it religiously. the reason why they can sell it for so high as far as valued is because they aren't selling most of that stuff for use but as histoyr peices and just decoration stuff. So the value isn't in the utility but rather the odity.

saw it once or twice.. cool show, should probably more. Value that high... think they are mistaken. A Mole Richardson 2K Fresnel with some dings these days sells on E-Bay for like $25 - $75, one in decent shape and with barn doors sells in te $150 range. How much did such fixtures cost origionally? Up to or over a Thousand dollars?

6" Fresnel... depends upon condition and what type of lamp was in use on the other hand. The owner of the company where I work has a mid-1930's Mole Richardson Fresnel with lamp on a stand in the front lobby next to my c. 1962 Kliegl Dyna Beam with Boomerang, origional lamp and gel & perfectly safe/factory spec. Both I expect are worth similar - the Owner's Fresnel - think it's an 8" has a bi-pin 2Kw G48/18 ANSI type DVF G-38 based lamp. (Not allowed to touch or remove the asbetos from it.)
Given Bardwll & McAllister came out in 1926 as a company, the Fresnel could be medium or mogul screw, Bi-Pin or even P-28s type of lamp. What year was it? All three are the pogress of the 1930's Fresnel fixture. The Bi-pin Fresnel would be more rare I think than other versions except perhaps a Mog. Screw type.

So that's a question about what type of Fresnel it is coming from that company. What type of base did it have - this in also expecting a working ancient and long discontinued lamp if for anywhere near that price.

After that, if you can shake rust off it... that's a huge problem with the fixture in value or even use even given endless man-hours and materials that would be required so as to just stabilize the fixture from rusting thru. This in not bringing it back to factory specification and or major service call in removing asbestos, or servicing or replacing the various parts as expected.

Given the condition I will have priced it perhaps given the stand and a working origional lamp - if Mog. Screw or Mog. Bi-pin as worth say lmuch less than $150.00 at best for a sarting price and worked it down from there. If I can buy a 2K Mole light that with some de-dinging and service plus painting for like $25.00, and after done they are now both prop lights and or if we need more 2K Frensnels for a show over the stock of Altman 2000L's they are still servicable... that's a fixture that will pay for itself in investment in even up to the $150.00 versions that take less labor often so as to bring back to factory specification. For the price they bought this for, like a really good condition Mole Richardson - more name brand 2K Fresnel in value. Often only a few hours so as to work on them for a service call. If antique... rust flaking off will take a lot of work. Thinking these guys paid about double it's value in the end. I wouldn't trust them for other than overall conceps verses nitche markets for value.

On the other hand, their clients no doubt are higher priced in getting a profit from such fixtures. Such lights would be prop pieces in their house and the clients could afford an over-priced fixture in buying them. "Turn Key" I believe the term is in the end user not putting in any effort including shopping E-Bay, wiring or cleaning their fixture or even knowing about asbestos. This also being a price type of sculpture for one's house and not a value of it type of thing. So in easy turn around, they have a rusting fixture or if worked on some... still not perhaps enough, and or where did that asbestos no doubt to the fixture go if not still there in the buyer's living room? Valued at $300.00 for an amature perhaps and no doubt it would sell for that with little work to it. Perhaps an improper de-wiring and scraping than some sort of paint applied... perhaps nothing or very little in getting that double profit. I think a caution even given I didn't watch the show or have any idea of what form of 6" Fresnel was bought for $150.00 but with a stand.

That's turn off for me on that show. Guys really paid $150.00 for this fixture and value it at $300.00 resale? .... that's not realistic other than for the home owner end user market and with minimum work to it. Perhaps $300 or perhaps much more if totally sevice called and made color changing LED as a fixture, but that would require many man/hours and parts cost well beyond a $150.00 profit margin. $150.00 selling price in servicing the fixture, than selling it for $300.00.... very doubtful for someone that knows what one is doing in servicing it and parts. Perhaps labor alone - perhaps in only doing the minimum and even no doubt selling something that old it's flaking rust.. it probably is important, but at a $150.00 profit margin... I doubt much work goes into the resale of it in making it proper. Would need if shaking rust off it, much more than $150.00 profit to make it properly proper. Got my doubts thus. This much less, if really wanting to make a profit for the perspective home owner customer... making it self programmed LED based would be at least that in more cost but that would become profit in what you could sell it for.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back