Best bang for the buck in gobo rotators?

JLNorthGA

One of the powers that be (AKA one of the directors) would use a gobo rotator as a special effect.

I do have CC modules for my Sensor rack - so I can supply power to a gobo rotator - or if the rotator works with a dimmer, I can use a D20 module.

I need an inexpensive rotator that will work reasonably well. Possibly a dual. What are some reasonable rotators and what can I expect to pay?

You might check any local-ish rental houses.

Every place I have worked or designed usually stocks a few Gam TwinSpin units, and they work wonderfully, but they're pretty pricey if you're working on a shoestring budget.

In-line control... $650, DMX... more like $800. Of course that's the price from Gam, and I don't know what you'd actually end up paying through a vendor.
GAM TwinSpin is the Dual Pattern Rotator from GAM : Lighting Equipment For Architectural, Specialty & Theatrical Effects

Rosco also offers a Gobo rotator, but I haven't used one and don't know the list price. I'm sure someone else has had experience with it.
Rosco US : Lighting Equipment : Single Gobo Rotator

Of course, if you just need this effect once, find your local rental house and rent one, I can't imagine it would be more that $60 a week (that's the price for my local rental house)

Last edited by a moderator:
The Apollo rotators are fabulous. We have 4 of the Smart Moves and they are very quiet and we have never had any problems. I have used the Rosco rotators in the past and the gears were always noisy. The Apollo units run via belts, which I imagine has a lot to do with their near silence.

Amazingly enough, I just got two GAM TwinSpin gobo rotators for the cost of driving a few miles! One of the local high schools closed it's drama program a couple of years ago. The school said we could have their TwinSpin rotators for almost free - I just have to let interested students help out at our playhouse. That definitely works for me.

One of the powers that be (AKA one of the directors) would use a gobo rotator as a special effect.

I do have CC modules for my Sensor rack - so I can supply power to a gobo rotator - or if the rotator works with a dimmer, I can use a D20 module.

I need an inexpensive rotator that will work reasonably well. Possibly a dual. What are some reasonable rotators and what can I expect to pay?

AC Lighting has new old stock Chroma Q Twin DMX rotators for $240, I just bought two they have 12 left

Users who are viewing this thread

Back